Statement of Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell Regarding Republican Immigration Proposals

http://www.allamericanpatriots.com/4873 ... blican_imm
Thu, 08/30/2007 - 12:44 — newsdesk

Aug. 29, 2007 -- Richmond - Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell issued the following statement regarding today’s immigration proposals announced by the Republican leadership in the General Assembly:

“Today, the Republican leadership in the General Assembly announced the outline of a broad set of proposals to combat illegal immigration in Virginia.

“It has become all too clear that the federal government has failed to adequately secure our borders, failed to enact meaningful immigration reform, and failed to adequately address the problems associated with criminal illegal aliens. Now, states and localities are rightfully determining the best measures by which to combat crime committed by illegal aliens.

“This past January, I called on the Governor to allow state agencies to enter into immigration enforcement agreements with the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). I believe this to be a necessary and important action, and I have continued to call for it.

“Unfortunately, the Governor has repeatedly refused to execute these agreements. Localities are entering into these agreements however, and that is an important step.

“Today’s proposals by the Republican leadership are another important step, and will be the starting point for enacting legislation during this upcoming session of the General Assembly.

“Our office will assist with this effort to ensure that the legislation is both legal and effective. For too long our citizens have been told that state and local governments cannot act on this public safety issue. That is not true.

“We can act, and in the absence of decisive action at the federal level, we must.â€