Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

WA: About 400 turn out for immigrant rally

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/642 ... Rally.html

About 400 turn out for immigrant rally
    4/12/07

SEATTLE -- In an attempt to bring attention to the plight of the children of illegal aliens whose parents are imprisoned or deported under U.S. immigration laws, marchers walked from Westlake Center to the Henry M. Jackson Federal Building.

Wednesday's crowd was estimated as high as 400 people. The marchers carried signs that read "Don't abandon the children" and "Stop deportations; I need to be with my mom." They called for changes in U.S. immigration laws that would prevent family separations.

Mayor Greg Nickels joined the marchers during their walk and offered his support. He said he wants Seattle to be the kind of city where people can feel secure answering a knock at their door late at night.

"We are a country of immigrants," Nickels said. "We are strong because we are diverse."

"Lots of people in our family are very fearful," said Seattle resident Erin Fanning, who is married to a Mexican immigrant. "Even our children who were born here don't feel like full citizens."

Dayzhon Mekonnen, 10, and his brother O'shaay, 11, said their father, an immigrant from Africa, grew up in the United States, but now is in a detention center in Tacoma. Dayzhon said he writes letters to his father and tells him "how much I love him and miss him."

"Our representatives in Washington, D.C., say they believe in family values," 9-year-old Josephina Alanis-Mora said. "To me, there is no more important family value than allowing families to stay together."

Berenice Louis said her husband, Juan Louis, 22, was deported to Mexico two weeks ago after being stopped at the Sea-Tac airport, where he planned to leave for Ohio to look for work. She said she is supporting the couple's two young girls - 3 years and 4 months - by herself.

The couple came illegally to the Seattle area from Mexico four years ago and her husband has been working in construction jobs.

She said she has been selling the family's belongings so she can keep herself and her daughters housed and fed.

"The effect on us has been one of economics," Louis said through a translator. "I can't work because I need to care for the children and can't afford child care."

But Ira Mehlman, a spokesman with the Federation for Immigration Reform, which supports the enforcement of current U.S. immigration laws, did not sound sympathetic.

"When parents break the law, they put their families in jeopardy," he said. "They are responsible. It should be no different from all the other cases where people break the law."

"When parents break the law, they put their families in jeopardy," he said. "They are responsible. It should be no different from all the other cases where people break the law."
    I totally agree. Do we now have to let criminals roam free because they have children at home. Give me a break! What about the victims of stolen identity? Do they just suck it up because these people have children? I can hear it now..." Well, you see your honor I had to rob that bank, cause I had no money, and I can't go to jail I have children" Does the judge say" ok case dismissed'? What twisted logic.

"Our representatives in Washington, D.C., say they believe in family values,"
    My family values would never include sneaking into a country and breaking immigration laws. My family values would never include using false, fake or stolen documents to get a job or welfare benefits that belong to US citizens. My family values would never include using my children in order to justify breaking the law. I'm sure I'm speaking for the rest of the US citizens too!

Berenice Louis said her husband, Juan Louis, 22, was deported to Mexico two weeks ago after being stopped at the Sea-Tac airport, where he planned to leave for Ohio to look for work. She said she is supporting the couple's two young girls - 3 years and 4 months - by herself.
    The couple came illegally to the Seattle area from Mexico four years ago and her husband has been working in construction jobs.
    She said she has been selling the family's belongings so she can keep herself and her daughters housed and fed.
    "The effect on us has been one of economics," Louis said through a translator. "I can't work because I need to care for the children and can't afford child care."

She can't work because she has children?? Tell that to all the American single moms out there holding down two or three jobs! Get these jerks out of our country and send the children with them so the family isn't split up by the big, bad, mean Americans...you know, the ones her husband and other illegals took a job from in the first place.

If he hadn't been allowed to take those jobs from Americans, they wouldn't have anything to sell, now would they? Imagine the better life and material belongings an American would have been able to afford if they had had the job this illegal took. They should count themselves lucky they got to live here illegally for 4 years.

And seeing as how I live in Ohio, a state who's economy is already in the toilet, thanks to shipping our manufacturing jobs to mexico and communist china, not to mention india and south africa and any other third world country, I'm glad they caught this scumbag before he got here to take what pitiful jobs are left.

Pack up the babies and grab the old ladies...you're outta here illegals. It's only a matter of time.

Mayor Greg Nickels joined the marchers during their walk and offered his support. He said he wants Seattle to be the kind of city where people can feel secure answering a knock at their door late at night.

"We are a country of immigrants," Nickels said. "We are strong because we are diverse."
    Everyone should be bombarding this dipwad letting him know that.......
    WE ARE STRONG BECAUSE WE HAVE - up to now - ENFORCED THE AMERICAN RULE OF LAW!! HE is making us weak and vulnerable by BREAKING THE LAW!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mayor Nickels wants a sanctuary city. Must be close to an election and he is pandering for all the illegal immigrant votes. They do vote you know, just check out LA.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>