Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Wake Forest U to hold panel on Arizona SB 1070

WFU to Hold Panel on Arizona Immigration Law

Staff Writer

12:14 PM EDT, September 16, 2010
    WFU to Hold Panel on Arizona Immigration Law
    WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (WGHP) - Wake Forest University will host a panel, " Arizona Senate Bill 1070: One State's Attempt to Curb Illegal Immigration," on Tuesday, Sept. 21.

Co-sponsored by the Office of Multicultural Affairs and the School of Law, the debate will host a panel featuring Debra Conrad, vice chair of the Forsyth County Board of Commissioners; Dr. Nolo Martinez, assistant director for Research and Outreach and interim director for the Center for New North Carolinians-Cross Cultural Challenges; Carlos Flores-Vizcarra, Mexican Consul for the Carolinas; Sheriff William Schatzman; and Margaret Taylor, professor of law at the law school.

The forum will focus on the controversial Arizona immigration law AB1070, which allows state law enforcement officials to ask individuals for proof of their citizenship. The law is one of the strictest anti-illegal immigration acts in years, sparking considerable media attention and controversy. Critics have called for boycotts of Arizona and protests have broken out in more than 70 U.S. cities, while polling has found that the law carries majority support in both Arizona and the United States a whole.

The event is at 7 p.m. in Pugh Auditorium at the Benson University Center. It is free and open to the public

"This panel will discuss the impact of the new controversial immigration law upon illegal and legal immigrants and whether the law encourages racial profiling," said Beth Hopkins, director of outreach for the law school. "We hope that after hearing the position of the panelists, citizens will be informed fully of the legal challenges of the new Arizona immigration statute."

You can leave comments at the link

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-story-w ... 8688.story

I definitely added my two cents on there.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    I definitely added my two cents on there.
    Great job!

Governor of Arizona has 'backbone,' Conrad says
    By Lisa O’Donnell | JOURNAL REPORTER
    Published: September 22, 2010

As a local government official, Debra Conrad said, she can see why Gov. Jan Brewer of Arizona fought so hard for a controversial immigration law that is considered the toughest in the country.

That law requires police to determine the status of people that they have lawfully stopped and suspect are in the country illegally. A federal judge has issued a temporary injunction against that part of the law, which is being challenged by the Obama administration.

Because it’s a border state, officials in Arizona say they have been overwhelmed by the problems caused by illegal immigrants.

“You can understand the pressure the governor and the legislators were under,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn