Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Waukegan Immigration Vote Leaves Some Afraid

Jul 17, 2007 6:04 am US/Central
    Waukegan Immigration Vote Leaves Some Afraid
    Some Fear New Program Will Lead To Police Mistrust, Racial Profiling

SLIDESHOW: Celebrities Turning The Big 4-0
    SLIDESHOW: Openly Gay Celebrities

(CBS) WAUKEGAN, Ill. Some Waukegan residents fear a controversial immigration program that is moving forward will erode trust in police and result in racial profiling.

On Monday night, the Waukegan City Council voted to move forward with a controversial immigration program that gives police more teeth when it comes to enforcing the law.

As CBS 2's Kristyn Hartman reports, despite the emotion of the evening, Waukegan aldermen in an 8 to 2 vote decided not to reconsider a decision in June to go forward with an application with a special program that would train police officers to enforce immigration law.

The program, known as 287 (g), has caused so much controversy in Waukegan that police with riot gear were ready to manage a crowd of hundreds. Many of them were protesters trying to convince the council to see things their way – both for and against.

The population of Waukegan is 44 percent Latino.

Once trained, officers could identify, process and detain immigration offenders they come across on the job.

Waukegan police say if they are selected, this program will give them the power to get rid of rapists and murderers who are living in their community illegally. But hundreds of protesters fear that power will be abused.

"I don't think they should have done this because there's a lot of families here that have been here for a while and they have not done no harm," said Elizabeth Gonzales, who opposes the program.

But others said those who break the law should be held accountable, and the new law could ensure that happens.

“The people that are here illegally committing crimes should be deported,â€
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Waukegan Alderman Tony Figueroa is one who voted against it. Does anyone know the name of the other Alderman?

Just curious.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by CCUSA
    Waukegan Alderman Tony Figueroa is one who voted against it. Does anyone know the name of the other Alderman?

Just curious.
    The other alderman is Mr. Cunningham, an African American gentleman. He said it would bring us back to the days of the 1960's. A civil rights issue. Unfortunately, he also got phone messages that said, "When are you going to get the Mexican's out of town." And Mr. Cunningham said when you put a face on this he's just not for it.

Balen, who two weeks ago motioned for this re-vote amazed us with a complete turn around. I hope you heard it on the internet feed. He implied that the calls from around the country helped alipacers!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

That's great news!! fedupinwaukegan

We definately are making an impact!

I missed the internet interview. Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by CCUSA
    That's great news!! fedupinwaukegan

We definately are making an impact!

I missed the internet interview. Do you have a link?
    It was a live feed on the radio station. Actually right at this moment they are playing some of the speeches. So I will look into to see if they will podcast it. I'll bring it here if they do.

Balen's speech was long and rambling, disjointed -but then it all came together like that movie Crash?!!! I was impressed. Even Mayor Hyde who bitterly dislikes Balen said that he had to applaud Balen. Sweet.

Thanks Fedupinwaukegan. I'm just really glad to here the news.

I guess I can't get over the idea that people who are here illegally - and by working, driving, etc., are breaking other laws on a daily basis, would feel the right to protest and threaten our country!!!

That is just mind boggling.

Also, how can anyone - anyone - be opposed to getting murderers, rapists, and child molestors gone as soon as possible? Especially, when you realize that most likely, the Hispanic community, illegal or not, will be most at risk from these predators? You know most of these kinds of crimes will be crimes against the people most accessible to them - and that is the Hispanic community.

We are all at risk, but them more than any.

Also, how can anyone - anyone - be opposed to getting murderers, rapists, and child molestors gone as soon as possible? Especially, when you realize that most likely, the Hispanic community, illegal or not, will be most at risk from these predators? You know most of these kinds of crimes will be crimes against the people most accessible to them - and that is the Hispanic community.
    Because that is what they are used to living with in their homelands. They'd rather live amongst them HERE than be deported. In their narrow minds at least living here with murderers, rapist, child molesters, etc. is better than their homelands where the majority of the police are on the take. Warped, I know.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by WhatMattersMost
    Because that is what they are used to living with in their homelands. They'd rather live amongst them HERE than be deported. In their narrow minds at least living here with murderers, rapist, child molesters, etc. is better than their homelands where the majority of the police are on the take. Warped, I know.
    Actually, I think they just don't want anything done about ANY illegal - criminal or not. Some are being led by greedy politicians and business owners - some just don't like America - just our money.

Also, from the way the laws are being enforced in our country - I am pretty sure we have quite a few law makers and LE 'on the take'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast