Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Waukegan police brace for 287(g) demonstrators

Waukegan police brace for 287(g) demonstrators
    July 14, 2007

BY NICHOLAS ALAJAKIS nalajakis@scn1.com

WAUKEGAN -- Police say they are preparing for Monday when thousands of people are expected to descend on the downtown area to protest the city's proposed extension of immigration enforcement.

Waukegan Police Chief William Biang said his department is working with other local agencies to beef up enforcement for an announced rally that will coincide with the City Council's vote to reconsider application for 287(g) authorization.

If the council supports moving forward with 287(g), ultimately Waukegan police could obtain authority to begin deportation proceedings for illegal residents convicted of violent crimes.

That's something that many in the Hispanic community say would be too much power.

Jose Guzman, a leader of the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement in Waukegan, said his people cannot stand idly by while Waukegan leaders try to push them around.

Guzman said various activist groups plan to protest against the council's vote beginning at 5 p.m. Monday night. While he isn't certain of exact numbers, Guzman said he expects anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 people to show up for a non-violent demonstration.

That many people in one area is too many to take any chances, Biang said.

"We'll be prepared. We'll have a sufficient number of officers to deal with any contingency," Biang said, adding that he cannot go into specifics about the size of the crowd-control force.

Waukegan police will be receiving assistance from Gurnee officers as well as Lake County sheriff's' deputies, though everyone's official capacity is not being revealed, Biang said.

The department is expecting a mixed group of demonstrators, some opposing and some supporting 287 (g), Biang said. When opposing sides on hot-button issues get together, things can get testy, Biang said.

Violence should not be an issue, Guzman said. His group has held other rallies and protests on 287 (g) in recent weeks, and there have been no problems. Protesters simply plan to hold signs and voice their concerns, he said.

"We're good people," Guzman said. "We don't do violence."

The City Council is expected to reconsider the issue under "old business" during its 8 p.m. meeting. The council will not be taking further public comment on the issue, but it expects a full house, Mayor Richard Hyde said.

Hyde said he expects Monday's gathering to be the biggest protest in the city's recent history.

In preparation for large crowds, both Waukegan and Lake County employees will be going home around 4 p.m. Monday.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/news ... S1.article

If the council supports moving forward with 287(g), ultimately Waukegan police could obtain authority to begin deportation proceedings for illegal residents convicted of violent crimes.

That's something that many in the Hispanic community say would be too much power.
    It is incredible that anyone, on either side of the issue, could think deporting criminals is a bad thing.

we need this on the homepage

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Jose Guzman, a leader of the Labor Council for Latin American Advancement in Waukegan, said his people cannot stand idly by while Waukegan leaders try to push them around.
    Enforcing laws is not pushing people around. Geez...these people are so full of themselves. They need to be brought down a notch or two. This is the United States. We have laws here, and we do not exclude people from having to obey our laws just because they happen to be offended by them.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".

"If the council supports moving forward with 287(g),ultimately Waukegan police could obtain authority to begin deportation proceedings for illegal residents convicted of violent crimes."
    "That's something that many in the Hispanic community say would be too much power"

Too much power to deport violent criminals?!Would they rather them be allowed to stay?!

AWD
    hi, i live in waukegan and am very happy that they decided to go ahead with it.

i wanted to know if anyone can get me the names of the city council members that voted to go ahead with it because i want to make sure that the next time they are up for election, i will vote for them.

if no one can get me the names then i will have to make some time to stop by city hall and get that info. it would save me some time if i can get them on the net. i have searched for them on the net but couldnt find them...

thanks in advance to anyone that can get me the names...

btw, i am a LEGAL immigrant. my family and i waited 3 years for us to get approval to come to the u.s. we obeyed and respected the laws of the u.s.

AWD: Welcome aboard!
    Glad to learn of your story and experience - 'welcome aboard' in the larger sense as well (we do appreciate it when people follow the rules!)

Answer to your question:

(from memory, but I believe is correct):

Those that voted NOT to reconsider the motion to withdraw the 287g application included all Councilors, and the Mayor - except: Councilors Figueroa, and Cunningham. Everyone else was a-ok.

Good Luck in Waukegan. Say Hi to our Fedupinwaukegan if you bump into each other...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Big welcome AWD.

PhredE is right.

I'm going to be thanking them as well. In fact, I could post a topic in general with there names and emails if anyone wants to thank them. I especially want to thank Balen. Although he originally brought up the motion to reconsider this he changed his mind after research and getting calls from around the country.

Keep active!

AWD
    thanks for the welcome...

fedupinwaukegan, if you wouldnt mind posting names and emails that would be great. i would like to email them and thank them.

thanks again...

Again none of these thugs who protest will be deported and you know 99 percent of them are all illegal.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn