Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member controlledImmigration's Avatar

We Are Not a Nation of Illegal Immigrants

Friday, August 24, 2007
    We Are Not a Nation of Illegal Immigrants

One of the most common phrases used in the current debate over illegal immigration is, "we are a nation of immigrants." That phrase has always been true and continues to be true to this day. However, some who favor several different degrees of amnesty abuse this phrase to further their political agenda.

Yes, we are a nation of immigrants. Those who illegally crossed the border and live illegally in the United States are not immigrants, they are illegal aliens who deserve deportation. To conflate immigration with illegal immigration is to engage in a blatant falsehood. I am fully in favor of people immigrate to this country legally, no matter where in the world they live. However, immigration into this country is not a universal right for the 6 billion people on the planet. To argue that is simply ludicrous because it is logistically impossible. Immigration is a privilege not to be used miserly, but a privilege nonetheless.

If you're going to argue that the 12-20,000,000 illegal immigrants currently in the United States should be given a path to citizenship, go ahead and argue that. But I'm tired of those who are intellectually dishonest and tried to blur the lines between legal and legitimate immigration and illegal immigration. Basing an argument on dishonest distractions and deflections shows that the person making that argument feels insecure about the rhetorical strength of their argument. I have no problem with genuine polite argument over domestic policy, I do have a problem with those who argue dishonestly.

Another thing, newspaper should stop calling pro-amnesty groups "immigrants' rights groups." These groups are arguing that illegal immigrants have the same rights as legal permanent residents or even American citizens. Because they are living in this country illegally, they are in violation of American sovereignty and immigration law. Therefore, they do not have the right to stay here.

Now, I need to look at why giving citizenship to illegal immigrants is a bad idea. If you allow the current 20 million illegal immigrants citizenship, where will the line stop? In 1986, the Congress gave amnesty to illegal immigrants then living in the United States. They promised no further amnesties would be needed, and that they would enforce the border. That never happened. So, now we need another amnesty? Why should anyone believe promises that this will be the last amnesty, and that the border will actually be enforced? If he illegal immigrants are given a path to citizenship, it will send a message that American sovereignty doesn't really exist. We need to put a stop to the madness if we want American sovereignty to actually matter.

Secondly, giving citizenship to people who enter this country illegally is a slap in the face to every single person who has immigrated to the United States. It basically legitimizes people who cheat the system. It basically tells legal immigrants that they are gullible suckers. That certainly isn't fair.

Thirdly, by allowing millions of illegal immigrants in, we are creating the potential for a health risk. When people try to immigrate legally to this country, they are screened for diseases. Illegal immigrants do not face any screening, which may allow dangerous diseases into this country. That is not to say that all illegal immigrants have dangerous communicable diseases, but the lack of screening allows for the possibility that dangerous diseases will enter this country.

Next, massive illegal immigration doesn't allow the United States to pick and choose who it wants to immigrate to this country. It does not allow us to pick more higher skilled workers instead of an imported underclass. I don't think that we should eliminate all potential immigrants if they are low skilled. However, massive illegal immigration consists of almost all low skilled workers. That does not allow us a choice, and does not allow this country to decide what its future should be.

There's plenty more reasons of why illegal immigration is a problem, but I think the few I highlighted should help to illustrate the depth of the negative consequences.

If you disagree with my point of view of this topic, feel free to argue that my position is incorrect. I am fully open to real and constructive debate on this topic. Criticism of your position on a topic allows you to look at your opinions and examine its merits. However, resorting to irrelevant distractions and deflections or outright falsehoods shows a lack of sincerity and quite possibly rhetorical insecurity. Because of the importance of the debate over illegal immigration, honest argument should be sought by both sides. That is something one should agree on, regardless of your opinion.

Categories: illegal immigration

Posted by nms at 5:38 PM

http://nomorespin.blogspot.com/2007/08/ ... rants.html

I was upset recently to find out that by todays rules....I am an illegal immigrant. My ancestors did cross the big pond before any laws were in place. The thing is...the BOAT my relatives came on had 53 people. Took them 2 years to get here. Even had 2 births on-board. WHOO_WHOO.....53 single people in 2 years vs thousands per DAY? Big difference.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great article!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)