I got this in a News Update email, but for some reason it's not on the JW website yet. As soon as it is, I will add the link to the update.

www.judicialwatch.org

[start excerpt]

July 3, 2006

From the Desk of Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton:

JW Launches New Probe of Houston’s Illegal Alien Policies

The record rains here in Washington has not slowed down Judicial Watch. There is no way we will ever be able to solve the illegal immigration problem so long as public officials at every level continue to provide incentive programs for illegal alien lawbreakers. That’s why Judicial Watch has been so vocal and so active in opposing any policy that encourages illegal immigration, including sanctuary policies, which force police officers to ignore immigration laws, and day laborer sites, which provide job placement services for illegals at taxpayers’ expense.

Judicial Watch filed a “Texas Public Information Act Request” with the Houston Police Department (HPD) over their version of a sanctuary policy, known as HPD General Order 500-5. This policy, issued in 1992 by then-Police Chief Sam Nuchia, reportedly prevents Houston police officers from asking about an individual’s citizenship status or detaining illegal aliens.

Judicial Watch also filed an open records request with the City of Houston seeking all documents pertaining to the city’s day laborer site, which is supported with federal tax dollars.

Am I missing something? Since when is did it become permissible for government officials to use federal funds to violate federal law?

These investigations are similar to others previously undertaken by Judicial Watch. You will recall that Judicial Watch sued the Los Angeles Police Department over its sanctuary policy, known as “Special Order 40.” And, of course, we also sued the Town of Herndon and Fairfax County, Virginia over a taxpayer-funded day laborer site for illegals.

Speaking of our Herndon lawsuit, I have some progress to report. Fairfax County, one of the defendants, has abandoned its legal effort to immediately dismiss Judicial Watch’s lawsuit. The case has now moved to discovery, and Judicial Watch has already obtained 2,500 pages of documents from the county in response to JW’s discovery requests. Meanwhile, lawyers for the other defendant, Herndon, Virginia, continue to contemplate their legal strategy in the wake of elections that saw the mayor and town council members, who supported the site, voted out of office.

[end excerpt]

There are many police departments that are forced to submit to similar special orders, most famously in Los Angeles. Some police departments and unions agree with the policy of making illegal immigration a law they will not help enforce. I know a few of the reasons the police themselves don't like asking about legal status. But those reasons are not sufficient anymore. Probably few police anticipated that those orders could end up becoming dangerous to the very people who created their police departments. Time for those sanctuary orders to be ended.

AND FURTHERMORE:

Below is a link to a blog where one of the soldiers who runs it tells about her experience last 4th of July, on the way to a patriotic celebration but found herself surrounded by Mexican flags and fiestas instead - in Houston!

http://euphoricreality.com/2006/07/02/g ... ogburst-2/

I found this while researching USMC SMAJ Brad Kasal.