http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2780224

Widow relieved but fears first encounter with Garcia-Gomez
By George Merritt
Denver Post Staff Writer

Douglas County - The widow of Denver police Detective Donald "Donnie" Young greeted news of the capture of his alleged killer with a surreal mix of excitement, relief and fear, she said Saturday night.

"My daughter is just going through her phone list on her (cell)phone," Kelly Young said. "She wants to tell everybody the news" that Raul Garcia-Gomez is in custody.

Young was married to Donnie Young for 17 years. They had two daughters, Kelsey, 5, and Kourtney, 13.

Kelly Young again thanked all the officers who had worked to find her husband's alleged killer.

Young said that even with the comfort of knowing that Garcia- Gomez is in custody, she is still afraid of seeing him for the first time.

"Relief is part of the way she is feeling," she said. "But it is also a little scary."

All that she has seen of Garcia- Gomez is the same half-grinning family photo that has been circulated throughout the country.

"It's hard to hate a picture," Young said. "I mean, he just looks like

the kid next door. I don't know how I will react the first time I see him."
Even though Garcia-Gomez's trail seemed to have gone cold, Young said she remained sure he would be caught.

Young knew little of the details of Garcia-Gomez's capture. She said Mexican officials have been "hot on his trail" and very helpful. But she did not know how he was finally caught.

She was asleep when Denver Police Chief Gerry Whitman called.

She recalled: "He said, 'I think we got him."'

Staff writer George Merritt can be reached at 720-929-0893 or gmerritt@denverpost.com.