Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Wreck's fallout: Harassment of Latinos in North Carolina

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ ... 719078.htm

Posted on Fri, Sep. 23, 2005

Wreck's fallout: Harassment of Latinos
    'Go home while you can'

FRANCO ORDOÑEZ
    Staff Writer

The death of a Mount Holly teacher killed in a crash with an illegal immigrant later charged with drunken driving has triggered a rash of harassing phone calls, e-mails and letters sent to Latin advocacy and religious groups.

One such letter sent to the Latin American Coalition, which warned, "Go home while you can," caught the attention of Charlotte-Mecklenburg police.

Sgt. Chris Couch, head of the department's International Relations Unit, said that because of the threatening letter, he will increase police presence at the Oct. 2 Latin American Festival, which is expected to draw a crowd of 15,000 people to the Mint Museum of Art.

"We don't think there will be a problem, but we want to be safe," Couch said.

Latino leaders said public outcry against illegal immigrants has left the community bruised and feeling vulnerable.

"I have never received those type of calls before," said Maudia Melendez, head of the Jesus Ministry, formerly the United Latin Americans, who said she's received dozens of messages citing the tragedy. "He doesn't represent our community. And it's unfair for people to blame the whole community because of one person."

Scott Gardner, a teacher at Highland School of Technology in Gastonia, died in July, and his wife, Tina Gardner, was left in a coma critically injured when their car was struck by a truck driven by Ramiro Gallegos, an illegal immigrant now facing his fifth impaired driving charge in five years.

The 26-year-old Mexican sits in the Neuse Correctional Institution awaiting trial on second-degree murder and drunken driving charges.

The tragedy focused attention on the ineffectiveness of federal immigration laws. It became the source of multiple news articles and hours of discussion on radio and television.

U.S. Rep. Sue Myrick, R.-N.C., of Charlotte, cited it as an example of why state and local law enforcement should be authorized to enforce immigration laws. She introduced the Scott Gardner Act, a bill that would make driving while impaired an automatic deportable offense.

"The fact is we've had an increase in illegals who are drunk and causing accidents," said Myrick, citing statistics compiled earlier this year by the Observer showing the number of Hispanic drunken drivers had more than tripled in the past seven years.

(The statistics did not discern whether the drivers were illegal.)

The Rev. Maria Hanlin of the Mecklenburg Ministries, which also received angry e-mails, said the debate has focused less on drunken driving and more on ethnicity.

Angeles Ortega-Moore, executive director of the Latin American Coalition, said she's received so much opinionated mail that she's begun filing them into two folders: hate mail and love mail.

"Unfortunately, the hate mail folder is thicker," she said.

Ron Woodard, director of N.C. Listen, an immigration reform group, said he condemns the use of hate mail, but said it's likely the result of individuals frustrated with people breaking federal immigration laws.

"I certainly wouldn't suggest that every illegal immigrant is a drunk," Woodard said. "But the fact of the matter is there are a lot of nice people who want to work hard. But that doesn't mean you can come to America."

Pedro Vazquez, an assistant butcher at La Comercial Mexico, said there are too many misconceptions about immigrants. "The majority of us are honest, good people."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

And it's unfair for people to blame the whole community because of one person
    The fact is that it ISN'T ONE PERSON!
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

Latino leaders said public outcry against illegal immigrants has left the community bruised and feeling vulnerable.
    I wonder if they EVER think of how American citizens feel about the unnecessary deaths? If they ever even notice the numbers of assaults, rapes, murders against American citizens. And they think it leaves THEIR community bruised and feeling vulnerable??

So they've gotten a little hate mail? They ain't seen nothing yet...wait till more citizens are awakened.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

response

The woman who was concerned that her brand of people were being smeared by one of the bad guys, I question;

Are not they all de-facto FELONS under the letter of the law?,

Yet the ever benevolent American people are willing to allow her to pass judgement on another criminal, without predjudice to her own criminality. No understanding of the 5th amendment in that illegal alien. Go figure.

We are easygoing people to a point. How much longer does this get shoved in our face?

The ever benevolent American people will even in their wrath provide the immigration FELON with a free trip back to the Country of their origin.

These unassimilated groups of people, not Americans, just don't get it. It was what Ellis Island was for, to explain what the goal of having you as a resident here ultimately WAS. To have you assimilate, and become an AMERICAN for your own, and AMERICAS' benefit.

Just a plain old AMERICAN. Not hyphenated, but of course with a healthy love for your jurisdiction(state/region).

Your right to love your race,creed, etc. was something everyone recognized you could no more hide, than the nose on your face.

The objective was to have a group of people in their diversity have a common interest and understanding of what this experiment of a NATION was meant to be. It is about UNITY under the LAW!

UNITY....UNITED STATES. Simple history.

Unassimilated groups are simply UNAMERICAN.

Well spoken...
    From a Scots/Cherokee American....so odd that we NEVER thought of that until recent years. We were simply Americans...but then we got the 'offended' crowd...billions in this world would love to be called Americans..and yet those who think they have stolen this nation are 'offended' to be called Americans...to assimilate here and be expected to pull their own load.

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

""The majority of us are honest, good people."" What part on Illegal Immigrant make you honest ?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I would like to think that the speaker is saying that the majority of Hispanics, not illegals, are good, honest people. Unfortunately that line has been almost completely blurred in this day and age.

Expect this issue to take stage when Kyl-Cornin's Bill goes to the Senate floor for a vote: that's the bill that calls for local enforcement of immigration law.

Innocent Hispanic citizens should not be chastised for the ones in their community that are here illegally. But they also have a responsibility and a duty to take charge of the situation and reverse it because it comes out of their community. I said the same thing about Arab citizens after 9/11. If they don't want to be chastised for being part of the problem then be the MAIN component of the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by nhantimassredrebel
    If they don't want to be chastised for being part of the problem then be the MAIN component of the solution.
    That is a quoteable line! That is their own best defence.
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

They should do an article about the hateful emails Scott Gardner's mother Emily is receiving from these Latino activist groups.

The grieving mother is receiving hostile email because she has mentioned immigration.

That's what people need to know about these kind hearted workers etc. etc.

W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast