Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Wyoming may see illegal influx

http://www.jacksonholestartrib.com

Wyo may see illegal influx

By ROBERT W. BLACK
    Star-Tribune capital bureau Tuesday, December 06, 2005

[oas:casperstartribune.net/news/wyoming:Middle1]
    CHEYENNE -- Earlier this fall, the Wyoming Supreme Court considered the case of an illegal immigrant who sued a Gillette construction company that had employed him for 10 years. Just before Thanksgiving, a traffic stop near Glendo netted 23 illegal aliens.

The cases underscore the fact that Wyoming has illegal workers, and their numbers are growing due to the upsurge in the energy and construction industries, according to labor and sociology experts.

Reliable estimates, though, are hard to come by.

"We just know there's a growing number of people who work here but have not formally come to establishing a residence here," said Tom Gallagher, a sociologist with the Wyoming Department of Employment. Agency research indicates that non-state residents, legal or otherwise, comprise 23 percent of the work force.

Jackson Hole has seen a large influx of immigrants, mainly from Mexico, to fill jobs of maids, cooks, landscapers and other services positions.

Teton County's business community strives to employ legal workers, said Carmina Oaks of Jackson's Latino Resource Center.

"I think Jackson is so proactive in getting documented people," she said.

Bruce Anderson, a political science and sociology instructor at Western Wyoming Community College, and his wife, who is from Costa Rica, have associated with a number of immigrants in Rock Springs. Most are from Mexico, and some are illegally here, he said.

"With regard to the ones that are here illegally, I think there's a fairly substantial disposition on the part of many employers to accept them readily and do with them what they feel they can possibly get away with to meet their own economic interests," he said.

Anderson agrees with Lynn Birleffi, executive director of the Wyoming Lodging and Restaurant Association, that fewer Americans desire the jobs that immigrants are filling.

"Students won't work like they used to. College kids won't work like they used to," Birleffi said.

Kim Floyd, executive secretary of the Wyoming AFL-CIO, expects the numbers of immigrant workers to increase due to labor shortages and high wages offered in the energy and construction sectors.

"We're seeing it in Rock Springs already in the construction industry. I think it's coming to Casper and Cheyenne faster than we think, and of course the oil fields," he said. "I don't know if it's going to displace any workers, but it's certainly going to take away jobs from people who want to move here and work."

Birleffi said she has no idea how many illegal workers might be employed in her industry but is unaware of any who have displaced American workers.

"It's very difficult to know if somebody has falsified documents," she said. "I think (business) people try to obey the law."

She is keeping a close eye on President Bush's guest-worker proposal in which temporary legal status would be offered to illegal workers. For now, Birleffi would like to see the cap raised for seasonal visas.

"One of the problems with this is that people just react emotionally and they refuse to expand options for legal immigration, even if it's temporary," she said.

Floyd, however, said businesses often create their own labor problems by paying wages so low that only migrants will take the jobs.

"They will absolutely work for pennies, and these employers will take them in and pay them pennies," he said.

The growing numbers of migrant workers will likely spur ugly reactions, said Adrian Bantjes, associate professor of history at the University of Wyoming.

"There's a certain nativistic gut-level response to migration that reflects fear, fear of change," he said.

Anderson agrees.

"I think a lot of that is fear of the unknown -- not understanding the language, not understanding the culture, not understanding the circumstances that lead people to take the great risk of trying to come to this country," he said.

He and Bantjes noted that much of southwest and south-central Wyoming was part of Mexico until 1848. They find it slightly ironic that a Mexican citizen could be illegally tilling soil that was part of his or her native country.

Dolores Saucedo Cardona, who oversees UW's Office of Multicultural Affairs, said migration by Latinos has never been one-way, that they have moved in and out of Wyoming for many years due to economic reasons.

"This is really not an issue of illegal immigration. To me it's really an issue of migration," she said. "A lot of them came out of Wyoming and moved historically down south into the Southwest and into Mexico. Wyoming has a Spanish history that's probably very undocumented."

Bantjes said U.S. policy toward Mexican immigrants is "schizophrenic."

"We put them in a terrible position because on the one hand, current policy is geared toward making it as dangerous as possible to cross the border," he said. "Hundreds are killed every year crossing the border, and we are partly responsible for that. But when they get here, we give them jobs."

While security is a significant concern since 9/11, it is a different issue from migration, Bantjes said.

"(Mexican) President Fox is still hoping that some kind of agreement can be made with the Bush administration, but I don't see it happening anytime soon," he said. "I just don't think the political climate is such that any kind of agreement can be made at this point."

Capital bureau reporter Robert W. Black can be reached at (307) 632-1244 or robert.black@casperstartribune.net.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He and Bantjes noted that much of southwest and south-central Wyoming was part of Mexico until 1848. They find it slightly ironic that a Mexican citizen could be illegally tilling soil that was part of his or her native country.
    More brainwashing...

These students aren't lazy, as this article implies. They are smart enough not to be taken advantage of by greedy employers. The reconquista's have a higher calling, AZTLAN.
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

HEY!!

Doesn't Cheney have a big bunker in his homestate of Wyoming? Doesn't he have a legal address in Wyoming? Does anyone know it?

Let's post it.

Maybe the illegal influx can find some "refuse"...oops I mean "refuge" and a better life there, eh?

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I think it an "undisclosed location"

Cheney is nothing but a Big Fat Soft-Bellied Flabby Butt TRAITOROUS COWARD!!

What if we fired his Secret Service due to "budget cuts"? I bet he'd run to that bunker and hide til he died.

I wonder it they've got it stocked with some of those illegal alien prepared MRI's?

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

cheney is the pilsbury dough boy who has gone over to the dark side
    may the force be with you JIm Gilchrist

Both Fish and Guest Workers smell after three days

"cheney is the pillsbury dough boy who has gone over to the dark side"

GOOD ONE thelmahopkins!!

I needed that!

California or ground zero of the invasion
    www.billingsgazette.com

December 7, 2005

Last modified December 7, 2005 - 12:49 am
    Wyoming
    Tight market draws more illegals
    Associated Press

CHEYENNE - The number of illegal immigrants is growing in Wyoming because of the upsurge in the state's energy and construction industries, according to labor and sociology experts.

However, reliable figures are hard to come by, they say.

"We just know there's a growing number of people who work here but have not formally come to establishing a residence here," said Tom Gallagher, a sociologist with the Wyoming Department of Employment.

Agency research indicates that nonstate residents, legal or otherwise, make up 23 percent of the workforce.

Jackson Hole has seen a large influx of immigrants, mainly from Mexico, to fill jobs of maids, cooks, landscapers and other services positions.

Teton County's business community strives to employ legal workers, said Carmina Oaks of Jackson's Latino Resource Center.

"I think Jackson is so proactive in getting documented people," she said.

Bruce Anderson, a political science and sociology instructor at Western Wyoming Community College, and his wife, who is from Costa Rica, have associated with a number of immigrants in Rock Springs. Most are from Mexico, and some are illegally here, Anderson said.

"With regard to the ones that are here illegally, I think there's a fairly substantial disposition on the part of many employers to accept them readily and do with them what they feel they can possibly get away with to meet their own economic interests," he said.

Lynn Birleffi, executive director of the Wyoming Lodging and Restaurant Association, said the immigrants are filing jobs that fewer Americans desire.

"Students won't work like they used to. College kids won't work like they used to," Birleffi said.

Kim Floyd, executive secretary of the Wyoming AFL-CIO, said he expects an increasing number of immigrant workers in the state because of labor shortages and high wages offered in the energy and construction sectors.

"We're seeing it in Rock Springs already in the construction industry. I think it's coming to Casper and Cheyenne faster than we think, and of course the oil fields," Floyd said. "I don't know if it's going to displace any workers, but it's certainly going to take away jobs from people who want to move here and work."

Birleffi said she has no idea how many illegal workers might be employed in her industry but is unaware of any who have displaced American workers.

Dolores Saucedo Cardona, who oversees the University of Wyoming's Office of Multicultural Affairs, said Latinos have moved in and out of Wyoming for many years due to economic reasons.

"This is really not an issue of illegal immigration. To me it's really an issue of migration," she said. "A lot of them came out of Wyoming and moved historically down south into the Southwest and into Mexico. Wyoming has a Spanish history that's probably very undocumented."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Shall I send Ms. Cardona a copy of the treaty of HIDALGO? Maybe she needs a little refresher!

She says, "Wyoming has a Spanish History that is probably very undocumented."

What isn't undocumented with these people?

That's got to be the funniest statement ever made in the battle of illegal immigration to date.

Hey, I think I'm going to invade China....I'm sure "China has an Irish History that is probably very undocumented." If they try and make me leave before I take over their country, I'll just call them RACISTS and notify the ACLU in America and the Human Rights Commission of the UN.

How about this everybody? LET'S Reconquista CHINA and get all our money back. Afterall, WE're buying all their stuff, which really makes it our stuff, doesn't it? I mean, we have history there...in China....we have stuff in China....our stuff... so what are we waiting for? Documents? Psssshaw. No one needs documents to take over a country. You just walk in, slither around, date a local, have a baby, look pitiful, smile sweetly, and say "work" "job". And BINGO....you're in. Simple. They say, Beijing is really cool right now. They are having a Big Rennaissance. Maybe WE can git in on the ACTION. Get US a Rennaissance House in Beijing, start voting, multiplying, become the largest minority group in Beijing! Then we could theoretically control the Gov't in Beijing and then control all of the Asian Countries and part of Russia too.

Yep....the Irish need to Reconquista.....CHINA!