Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Yuma-area Latinos say immigration solution complex

http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/a ... _23585.php

Yuma-area Latinos say immigration solution complex
    BY MICHELLE VOLKMANN, SUN STAFF WRITER
    Apr 12, 2006

Illegal immigration is wrong and it needs to stop, area Latino leaders said.

"We waited our turn before we moved here," said Carlos Figari, a Yuma businessman.

"Just because you jumped the fence and expect people to accept you is not right. If you don't like the country, you can come back the same door that you came in."

Figari immigrated from Argentina to the United States with his family when he was 14 years old. Figari said he feels strongly about obeying laws and illegal immigration jeopardizes the entire system.

Figari is not alone. He, along with many area Latinos, break the stereotype that all Latinos are in favor of illegal immigration.

David Lara, vice chairman of the Yuma County Republican Party, was born in Calexico. His parents, who are now U.S. citizens and business owners, immigrated from Mexico as migrate farm workers.

Both Lara and his parents are against illegal immigration or "open borders," Lara said. Amnesty shouldn't be given to those who "cut in front of the line."

"Coming here illegally is not a reason to be rewarded," Lara said.

Lara said he understands why Latinos from Mexico and other Spanish-speaking countries come to the United States.

He doesn't blame them for wanting higher wages. He blames the legal immigration process for the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants living in the United States.

"We have to speed up the process," Lara said.

"It's too slow. It's outdated."

Yuma County Supervisor Tony Reyes said immigration is much more complex than people realize.

"People are waiting in line for six to 18 years," Reyes said. "People who say that (immigrate legally) don't understand how the process works. There really isn't a good method for people to use. The current process makes it almost impossible."

Insurance agent Marci Rios is a Mexican immigrant who become a U.S. citizen when he was 18 years old. He volunteers his time to help other immigrants become U.S. citizens.

Rios believes that Congress will come back from their spring break and vote on an immigration bill. He envisions that bill would include a guest worker program and an expansion of visas for all workers, not only those in the agricultural industry. He also believes there will be a program to register those undocumented workers already living in the United States.

Reyes said he is in favor of a guest worker program and proposed bills where if an illegal immigrant has lived and worked in the United States for five years, this person could start the process to become a citizen.

"That's a sensible plan," Reyes said. "(Telling) people to go back and ask for permission is not realistic. It would create massive problems."

Rios said illegal immigrants wouldn't return to Mexico, even if Congress passed a law asking them to do that.

"They aren't going to do that. Some have been here for 10 years. They have families. They are buying a home," he said. "They are already contributing to the community. They pay taxes. They pay into Social Security that they will probably never collect."

Both Reyes and Rios don't think Congress will authorize the construction of a wall between U.S. and Mexico.

"Enforcement is a waste of time. Building a fence is a waste of time," Reyes said.

Enforcement of current laws — not new laws — should be the focus, Lara said.

"We already have a lot of laws, but they are not being enforced," he said. "In reality we shouldn't need more laws."

Yuma County Supervisor Lenore Loroña Stuart said it's taken too long to get to this point. Immigration law needs to be a top priority for Congress.

"Congress needs to do something now. We can't put it under the carpet anymore," she said. "We need to come up with something because it's only going to get worse."

Stuart said a compromise between bills that would make it a felony to immigrate illegally and granting amnesty for those living here is the answer.

"I'm sympathetic with the desire to have a good life and most are productive residents in our community," she said. "It breaks my heart. They are trying to get a better life. Obviously we prefer they immigrate legally. I'm trying to look at all sides of it. Nobody has the answers."

As long as Americans demand low-cost food, there will be a demand for cheap labor. Right now the need is being filled by illegal immigrants. The national debate should be tied to that expectation, Reyes said.

"We are somewhat of hypocrites. We want people to come and do the work, but we don't want the problems that come with that," Reyes said.

---
    Michelle Volkmann can be reached at mvolkmann@yumasun.com or 539-6855.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

As long as Americans demand low-cost food, there will be a demand for cheap labor. Right now the need is being filled by illegal immigrants. The national debate should be tied to that expectation, Reyes said.
    Another misconception that's too frequently bandied about.

I don't think the issue is complex at all. Simply enforce the laws.

I don't feel sorry for those who came illegally and are buying a home. If they didn't know they were illegal they certainly should have. They merely increased their problems...not OUR problems.

MJ

Sorry for all of those that have knowlingly broken My countries Laws by Invadeing my country and residing here Illegally. Not in the Least!!! Secusre Our border and then give All Illegals 30 days to Leave Our Country. After that upon capture an automatic No court trial Kicking of thier butts out of Our country. And If ever caught again in Our country Illegally then an Automatic prison sentence of Minimum 20 yrs at Labor Camps of Judges Choice so that while in Prison they can Repay Our country for putting them up and feeding them. Nope I dont care if it breaks up families or they all go back to Thier original countries. And then we need to Reverse that darn Anchor baby Law on the Books so that that crap cant be used against the USA anymore. If read correctly the 14th admendment does not state what people say it does. My reading and Interpitation of it says they were and are Illegal and of the citizen ship of thier Illegal Parents.
    Your Rights END where MY Rights Begin. You have NO Rights if You Are ILLEGAL.