Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Yuma Marine naturalized as U.S. citizen

Yuma Marine naturalized as U.S. citizen

Photo by Lance Cpl. Gregory Aalto
    Cpl. Luis Quintero, Marine Attack Squadron 211 powerline mechanic, receives his citizenship paperwork after U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Aug. 7 naturalization ceremony at the Yuma Civic Center. Quintero, a Caracas, Venezuela, native, immigrated to West Palm Beach, Fla., when he was 3 years old.

"I hereby declare, on oath … that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic… so help me God."

-The U.S. Oath of Allegiance.
    An air station corporal spoke these words Aug. 7 at the Yuma Civic Center, taking his final step to become a U.S. citizen.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services naturalized Cpl. Luis Quintero, a Marine Attack Squadron 211 powerline mechanic, along with 350 new citizens from nine different countries in the ceremony.

"I am happy and excited," said Quintero, who emigrated from Caracas, Venezuela when he was 3 years old.

U.S. citizenship will also allow the 20-year-old more options within the Marine Corps.

"Now I can get my secret clearance and have more (military occupational specialties) open to me," said Quintero, who has served 26 months in the Marines.

Watching as her husband took the oath, his wife Yeli, a Mexican national, expects to receive her citizenship in six to eight months.

Naturalized citizen Lt. Col. David Jones, Marine Wing Support Squadron 371 commanding officer, volunteered to speak at the citizenship ceremony.

"Look at what you can do to make the country better. What the future holds is what you make it," said Jones, who became a U.S. citizen in 1987. "I couldn't be where I am if the U.S. hadn't given me the opportunity."

The service was the largest in Yuma history.

The naturalization process normally takes between five months and two years to complete.

Resident aliens 18 and older with at least five years of residency and "good moral character" qualify to apply for U.S. citizenship, according to USCIS.

Applicants are then fingerprinted, interviewed and given an English and civics test before taking the oath.

"With a single oath, you are now as much of an American as the direct descendants of the founding fathers," said President George W. Bush, during a video played during the event.
    http://yuma.usmc.mil/?PgId=desertwarrio ... 4,feature3
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

just wonderful ....
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great. Go to Iraq to fight in Bush's illegal war and you'll get legal US citizenship. And don't ever say that we use mercenaries.
    Support the Props !
    I mean Troops !