Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Poll:African-Americans Fear Climate Bill Will Hurt Economy

African-Americans Fear Climate Change Bill Will Hurt Economy, Households, Poll Shows

Wednesday, June 24, 2009
    By Melanie Hunter-Omar

(CNSNews.com) – A new survey shows most African-Americans are against the Waxman-Markey climate change bill, which includes a cap-and-trade program aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions, because of its potential impact on the economy and African-American households.

More than one in three adults surveyed were against reducing greenhouse gas emissions if that meant an increase in prices and unemployment.

"If concern about a Waxman-Markey-style climate change bill is running this high among group of predominantly Obama voters, it's bound to be much higher among the general population," said David A. Ridenour, vice president of The National Center for Public Policy Research, who directs the group's Center for Public Opinion Policy Center, which issued the poll.

The bill, sponsored by House Energy and Commerce Chairman Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) and Energy and Environment Subcommittee Chairman Edward Markey (D-Mass.), would allow the government to set a cap on the amount of greenhouse gases that a company could emit.

The poll found that 76 percent of African-Americans think that economic recovery should be the top priority, even if it means climate change is put on the backburner.

When asked if federal action to curb greenhouse gas emissions could increase unemployment, 38 percent said they thought African-Americans would proportionately lose more jobs while 49 percent believed greenhouse gas emission reduction efforts by the federal government would hit all races equally.

Only 11 percent of respondents were willing to pay $100 more a year for electricity to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and the numbers dropped to six, four and one percent when respondents were asked to pay an extra $200, $300, or $600 for electricity a year.

Only 15 percent of respondents were willing to pay $100 more for gas due to greenhouse gas legislation, and the numbers dropped to five, three, and four percent if gas prices increased by $2, $3, or $4 a gallon.

"African-Americans are unwilling to pay even a cent more for gas and electricity to reduce greenhouse emissions. Many are concerned that the costs of the regulations will fall disproportionately on them. And an overwhelming majority of African-Americans prefer to put economic recovery before action on climate change,â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Cap and trade reminds me of when I tried to build on property I own that had fringed toed lizards living on it. They are an endangered species. I could still build on this property but I had to pay a hughe fee. The fee did nothing to protect the lizards. They did not forbid me from building. I just had to pay more for it. They either should protect them and not let my build or just let me build.

ELE

Americans: he only people in the world paying this tax.

We all know that Cap and Trade tax is a scam just like all the other huge taxes we are paying to accomodate Obama's Special Interest groups.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)