Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Survey: HISPANIC CONSUMERS PREFER ENGLISH

Hispanic Consumers Prefer English

"Contrary to the conventional wisdom of many American business and political leaders, most U.S. Hispanics prefer reading English language newspapers and watching TV in English, even while speaking Spanish at home.

"The data comes from a survey conducted this fall by Ipsos U.S. Hispanic Omnibus, a survey-based international market research firm. The survey found that even though a majority of respondents, 52 percent, spoke Spanish at home they preferred watching English language over Spanish language television by a margin of 54 percent to 40 percent.

"In other findings, the market research revealed:

* 56 percent of Hispanics prefer reading English language newspapers

* Younger Hispanics, ages 18-34, wre slightly more likely to watch English language TV (54 percent) compared to middle-aged Hispanics, ages 35-54 (52 percent)

* College educated Hispanics ovewhelmingly prefer Engish-language television (80 percent)

"The survey shows a population that is often very much at ease switching between English and Spanish, depending on circumstances."

Copied from "The ProEnglish Advocate", Volume 15 - Number 1, April 2009, p. 6.

ProEnglish
    1601 N. Kent Street, Suite 1100
    Arlington, Virginia 22209
    tel. (703) 816-8821 fax (571) 527-2813
    "Permission is herby granted to copy or distribute any or all of 'The ProEnglish Advocate'"
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

This is true, but those who profit from hispanic illegal aliens don't want Americans to know that. If a spanish speaking person can speak,understand and read English they are less likely to get ripped off by their own kind, this is true in all cultures.

"hispanics" as "victims" are very profitable to such "advocates".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I have said before, when I worked in a store and we couldn't keep one group of Latinos, out of the forbidden zones, (even with the picture signs)we put signs up in Spanish.....the other groups of Latinos who lived in the area were MAD and demanded it be taken down. I do believe some enjoy being able to converse in Spanish knowing the rest don't know what they're saying, because they aren't comfortable when something besides English is spoken and they're left in the dark. I believe alot more speak English than they let on.....it's just a method to seperate and manipulate others. They can play like they don't know what's going on when it suits, and play superior when they choose. For now the only "bi-lingual" requirement is Spanish, but when that changes with a new wave of immigrants, they won't have the upper hand anymore.

I was at the bank the other day. There's a teller I go to often and she's a sweetheart. And Latino. She had someone she knew come in and their conversation started in Spanish but then it got funny because half was in Spanish and half in English. I never got that comfortable to be able to switch without much thought....but they had it down. Didn't even have an accent either. I figure most WON'T speak English, other than they can't. Kind of like the French Canadians.

Crazybird, I do the same thing myself in reverse. I pretend I don't understand or speak Spanish, just to hear what is being said. It's an eye opener every time, I tell ya.
    "

An acquaintance of my good friend was born in Honduras but came here legally 30 plus years ago and speaks perfect accented English when he wants to. But back him into a corner and the English disappears real quick. He was recently sued and lost quite a bit of English, but the other side had hired a lawyer who was married to a woman from his town and had learned to speak the local dialect.