Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Vote in this LA Times Poll!

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/?t ... 29894947=1

Generally speaking, do you support the new compromise immigration reform plan?
    39.3% Yes, we need to do something.
    60.7% No, it should be tougher/more lenient.

1256 total responses

39.1% Yes, we need to do something.
    60.9% No, it should be tougher/more lenient.
    1261 total responses
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

38.7%
    Yes, we need to do something.
    61.3%
    No, it should be tougher/more lenient.
    1274 total responses

LOL! tougher/more lenient? Interesting category. Guess it gets all the "extremists" that the media fears so much.

38.7%
    Yes, we need to do something.

61.3%
    No, it should be tougher/more lenient.
    1278 total responses

GOOGLE L.A. TIMES POLL wrote on May 27, 2007 12:34 PM: " I took the suggestion and started Googling the Los Angeles Times to get their version of this Immigration mess. What I found was that they totally support Amnesty at any cost, but in their own polls, their readers are against this bill and open borders. I can only imangine that the problem is that the reader base that the Times is supporting, does not speak English, and I probably never will understand that. POLL: Generally speaking, do you support the new compromise immigration reform plan? NO 61.4% it should be tougher/more lenient and YES 38.6% Yes, we need to do something. NOTE: LOL! tougher/more lenient? Interesting category. Guess it gets all the "extremists" that the media fears so much. "

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/05 ... _25_07.txt

MW
    Please convince me of why I should vote for this poll. I find this extremely troubling: "No, it should be tougher/more lenient." Doesn't it concern people that they may use this poll in an attempt to say the compromise bill needs to be more favorable to illegal immigrants?

I couldn't, in good conscience, vote on this poll. However, I could be convinced to change my mind if someone can remedy my concerns.

This seems to be one of those polls where your darned if you do and darned if you don't.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I feel the same way. Why do they say more lenient? It seems to be saying no it should be scraped and be more lenient.

What does everyone else think?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by CCUSA
    I feel the same way. Why do they say more lenient? It seems to be saying no it should be scraped and be more lenient.

What does everyone else think?
    It means; are you for this Immigration Bill or against it.
    It seems that both sides are against it in one way or another.

Our side, the anti-Illegal Immigration side is calling it amnesty, and the pro-Illegal Alien side says that the bill does not give them enough.

Sounds like a compromise to me. :P R/ Skip

Immigration plan blasted on both sides

Last modified Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:34 PM PDT

By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer

NORTH COUNTY -- Local activists and lawmakers roundly criticized Thursday's bipartisan Senate agreement on comprehensive immigration reform.

The agreement would give millions of immigrants living in the country illegally the opportunity to become legal residents. It would also increase security at the border, toughen sanctions against employers of illegal immigrants and create a guest-worker program.

The agreement, reached by a group of about a dozen Republican and Democratic senators working behind closed doors with White House officials, was slammed in North County by both the political right and the left.

Some immigrant rights advocates said they were concerned about the barriers that illegal immigrants would face when trying to become legal residents under the proposal.

"There's just too much red tape," said Tina Jillings, a Vista resident and founder of the pro-immigrant group Coalition for Justice, Peace and Dignity. "There is nothing humane or comprehensive about it."

The proposal would allow illegal immigrants who arrived in the country before Jan. 1 of this year to apply for a temporary residency permit. They could then apply for a new type of visa that would allow them to live and work legally in the country.

The visa could be renewed for as long as the immigrant submits to a criminal background check, keeps a job and pays a $5,000 fine plus processing fees. For a family to become official permanent legal residents, the head of the household would have to return to the home country first. That process could take eight to 13 years.

Some lawmakers said that immigrants who broke the law by coming illegally would be rewarded under the plan.

"There is no way you're going to control immigration while you're telling the world you are going to reward illegal immigrants," said Rep. Brian Bilbray, R-Solana Beach, who has emerged as one of the leading voices against illegal immigration in Congress.

Other local political leaders said they like the plan's other provisions, including its emphasis on skills-based immigration and guest-worker program.

"The Senate proposal outlined today contains a number of welcome provisions," said Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Vista, in a written statement.

He added however, that those changes "are compromised by a sweeping amnesty proposal that places illegal aliens in line ahead of those (who) ... emigrate to the United States legally."

Escondido Councilman Sam Abed, a naturalized citizen from Lebanon, said he agreed. He said his brother has been waiting 17 years in Lebanon to be allowed to come into the country legally.

"The only thing that I am totally opposed to (about the proposal) is the amnesty," Abed said. "It's disrespectful to legal immigrants."

-- Contact staff writer Edward Sifuentes at (760) 740-3511 or esifuentes@nctimes.com.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/05 ... _17_07.txt

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

ALMOST 200 COMMENTS POSTED !

Thanks Skip for showing me the light on the poll question.

In that case I vote NO. We should throw this bill in the trash heap and pretend it was a bad dream.

38.0% Yes, we need to do something.

62.0% No, it should be tougher/more lenient.

1333 total responses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast