Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Your help is needed

I need this information for a report I am working on. Please do not look up the answer, but tell me what you believe the answer is right now. Thank you for your help

cayla

When was the US first immigration law implemented?

created by: cayla99 | 1 min ago

votes

* Posted in the Immigration Reform Forum

1700's 0
    0%
    1800's 0
    0%
    1900's 0
    0%
    Um we have laws? 0
    0%
    Current Total 0
    Comment?

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/immigra ... PEAT3GMM4#
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When was the US first immigration law implented?created by: cayla99 | 15 min ago
    VoteResults
    Click on an option to vote
    votes

Posted in the Immigration Reform Forum
    Hot Polls | Recent Polls
    1700's 1800's 1900's Um we have laws?
    1700's 2 100%
    1800's 0 0%
    1900's 0 0%
    Um we have laws? 0 0%
    Current Total 2

Wasn't it about 1910?
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

1800s
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Immigration Reform
    When was the US first immigration law implented?created by: cayla99 | 1 hr ago
    VoteResults
    Click on an option to vote
    votes

Posted in the Immigration Reform Forum
    Hot Polls | Recent Polls
    Create a Poll in Immigration Reform

1700's 5 55%
    1800's 2 22%
    1900's 1 11%
    Um we have laws? 1 11%
    Current Total 9
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am stunned by the results, but I have a greater understanding why so many people on our side concede to the enemy that our ancestors had not immigration laws to follow.

I have 20 votes and I can't even find a majority that know the correct answer. When I give the answer after this poll is taken, I am hoping that each of you will help me educated the seemingly uninformed masses.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It was after WWI to deal with the massive wave of immigrants from EUROPE. In those days, however; immigrants did not receive ONE dime in social services, they had to be completely self-supporting. There were no social services at that time for anyone.

Also note, that these long-ago immigrants came through Ellis Island and went through registration and medically checked. If they were diseased, or criminals, they were denied entry and shipped back home. The ones who stayed were quarantined for a time before given DOCUMENTS and being welcomed to the US. Today's illegal aliens do not respect ANY of our laws and ARE indeed all criminals.
    "

FIRST immigration law was enacted in 1798. Sorry, I misunderstood the question.
    "

I started this poll because, to be honest, I was STUNNED by how many people on both sides of the immigration issue actually BELIEVED immigration laws were a new concept.

The first RESTRICTION on an individual immigrant has been in effect since 1788. It can be found in Section 2, Article 1 of the US constitution:

"No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President;"

On March 26, 1790, a mere two years later, the first law was passed establishing naturalization requirements.

The Aliens act of June 25, 1798 gave the US government the power to deport those who did not follow our immigration laws.

At the time I am telling you this, we have 30 votes. Only 10 people had the right answer.

Why is this important? Because I am shocked at how people on both sides of this argument seem to think our ancestors that immigrated here had no laws to follow. Too many of us are conceding a point that we shouldn't be. Even some of our politicians are confused and think that regulating immigration is a new concept. Precedent does carry weight.

AE

I had only on set of ancestors who came after this nation was founded, on the very day that President Lincoln was killed. They did have a lot to abide by, and also had to renounce their past allegiances. They also had to make a pledge they would not be a burden to society, but to be self-sufficient, and had to show they had some money already to make a start with, and declare what their livelihood would be (in this case it was farming).

Why do we not expect this anymore?
    “In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man, Brave, Hated, and Scorned. When his cause succeeds however,the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.â€

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast