1 Dead, 17 Wounded In Shootings Since Friday

March 30, 2014 10:01 AM

CHICAGO (STMW) –One person is dead and 17 others have been wounded — including a 13-year-old boy — in shootings across the city since early Friday.

The lone fatality occurred Friday afternoon in the Grand Boulevard neighborhood on the South Side.

Marc Campbell, 20, was shot in the head at 1:27 p.m. in the 300 block of East 51st Street, according to police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. Police said an unknown person walked up to him and shot him before running away.

Campbell, of the 9200 block of South Stony Island Avenue, was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:45 p.m., the medical examiner’s office said.

The most recent non-fatal shooting happened Sunday afternoon in Englewood.

About 2:50 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was in the 7100 block of South Peoria Street when someone shot him in both legs, police said, citing preliminary information. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn in “stable” condition.

About an hour earlier, a male — whose exact age was not immediately known — was shot in the leg in the 5500 block of South Marshfield Avenue, police said. He was taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition, according to Fire Media Affairs.

About 1 p.m. Sunday, a woman was shot in the neck in the Ukrainian Village neighborhood. She was shot in the 2800 block of West Augusta Boulevard and was taken to Norwegian-American Hospital, where she was listed in “stable” condition, police said.

At 5:07 p.m. Saturday, a 19-year-old man was shot in the South Shore neighborhood. He suffered a gunshot wound to the left thigh in the 1600 block of East 72nd Street, police said. The man was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was listed in “stable” condition.

Less than an hour earlier, a 13-year-old boy was seriously wounded in a Washington Park neighborhood shooting.

The boy suffered a gunshot wound to the lower left leg about 4:25 p.m. in the 6100 block of South Indiana Avenue, police said. He was taken to University of Chicago Comer Children’s Hospital in serious-to-critical condition, according to Fire Media Affairs.

Twelve other people have been shot across the city since early Friday. No one is in custody for any of the shootings as area detectives investigate.

In addition to those shootings, a man was shot to death Saturday morning by a Chicago Police officer after he allegedly pointed a gun at the officer during a foot chase in the Woodlawn neighborhood.

Two officers in a squad car saw a male suspect perform a “hand-to-hand” drug exchange about 8:45 a.m. in the 6200 block of South Eberhart Avenue, police said. After the man ran and a foot chase ensued, the man pointed his gun at the officer, prompting the officer to shoot him, police said.

The medical examiner’s office later identified him as 20-year-old Raason Shaw.

Shaw, 20, of the 7800 block of South Merrill Avenue, was pronounced dead at the scene, the medical examiner’s office said.

About noon Friday, an off-duty Chicago Police shot one of three men who allegedly tried to break into his home in the 9600 block of South Princeton Avenue. Two men are in custody for the alleged break-in, police said.