Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after Barr's racist tweet

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ABC cancels 'Roseanne' after Barr's racist tweet

By Sasha Savitsky | Fox News

ABC has announced that it is cancelling the reboot of 'Roseanne' after racists tweet made by Roseanne Barr.

Just hours after Roseanne Barr posted a racist tweet about former President Obama aide Valerie Jarrett, her wildly popular reboot of "Roseanne" was given the boot.

ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey said in a statement on Tuesday that the network would not be producing the show's second season.

"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show," Dungey told Fox News.

A rep for Barr did not return Fox News' request for comment.

The news comes after Barr went into emergency damage-control mode after sending out a politically charged tweet linking Chelsea Clinton to liberal donor George Soros and a racially charged tweet saying former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett, who is African-American and born in Iran, is like the "muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby."

The latter led to an almost immediate mea culpa, and a vow to never tweet again.

"I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me — my joke was in bad taste," she tweeted, after writing she was quitting Twitter.

Her account was deactivated for a period of time, before reappearing with an old tweet with a glowing New York Times review of her highly-rated "Roseanne" reboot pinned to the top of her Twitter feed.

Barr's co-star Sara Gilbert shared her disappointment in the comedian's tweet.

"Roseanne’s recent comments about Valerie Jarrett, and so much more, are abhorrent and do not reflect the beliefs of our cast and crew or anyone associated with our show. I am disappointed in her actions to say the least," Gilbert tweeted just before ABC axed the show.

sara gilbert

@THEsaragilbert

This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love— one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member.

10:21 AM - May 29, 2018

"Roseanne" star Emma Kinney also chimed in on Twitter.
    Emma Kenney

@EmmaRoseKenney

I am hurt, embarrassed, and disappointed. The racist and distasteful comments from Roseanne are inexcusable.

11:07 AM - May 29, 2018

Consulting producer Wanda Sykes quit the show just hours before it was canceled.

Barr's political views caused a headache for ABC despite many crediting the 65-year-old's pro-Trump stance as the reason for the show's success.

Barr opened up about the backlash over her conservative views to Jimmy Fallon on "The Tonight Show" in April.

“Oh yeah, people are mad about that. But you know, I don’t give a f---,” Barr told Fallon.

Barr has been open about depicting her iconic TV character as a working-class Trump supporter.

“I mean, everybody had to choose for themselves, according to their own conscience, who they felt was the lesser of two evils,” she said of the 2016 election.

“You know, everybody chose that, so I’m not going to put anybody down who didn’t vote like me. This is America, it’s a free country, and when you weigh it all together, I just felt like we needed a whole new thing. All the way. Bottom to top.”

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ist-tweet.html

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The latter led to an almost immediate mea culpa, and a vow to never tweet again.

"I apologize to Valerie Jarrett and to all Americans. I am truly sorry for making a bad joke about her politics and her looks. I should have known better. Forgive me — my joke was in bad taste," she tweeted, after writing she was quitting Twitter.
    Compare that to Joy Behar's comment on February 13, that VP Mike Pence was mentally ill for saying he communicated with Jesus. It took her a month before she apologized on air to Christians, the mentally ill, and VP Pense. And that was after ABC's Board met and ordered her to apologize. Her offense was on ABC airwaves, and they did not cancel her series, "The View", nor did they even fire her from that show.

Likewise, ABC continues with Jimmy Kimmel doing nightly insults on their airwaves, and having a history of offensive skits and acts. Jimmy Kimmel only apologized after Sean Hannity exposed his history of vulgarity, and apparently ABC got cold feet and instructed Kimmel to apologize!

In contrary to just these two, Roseanne Barr apologized immediately. Yet ABC took not time at all to cancel her show.

Roseann said she would no longer post Twitters. Since that was her personal Tweet, it should not be something ABC takes action on, unless her show ratings plummet.
    Last edited by jtdc; 05-29-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Channing Dungey is an American television executive who in 2016 became the first African-American president of ABC Entertainment Group. This also makes her the first black president of a major broadcast TV network.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channing_Dungey

I don't understand why Roseanne making a joke about someone's politics or looks on her personal twitter account, jokes "entertainment" makes a fortune from every single day, would be treated differently than all the other people who make jokes about someone's politics and looks. I sure don't think her show should have been canceled over it.

Was it the muslim brotherhood affiliation or the planet of the apes reference ABC and others thought was over the line? Americans have been poking fun and jabbing people over their politics and looks since we've had politics and looks to poke and jab at.

I think ABC went over the line this time, because some part of the comment, either the Muslim Brotherhood portion or the "planet of the apes" portion personally offended the current President of ABC Entertainment. As for me, I didn't even know Valerie Jarrett was black until this came out and I looked her up.

By the way, do people know there is no such thing as a "planet of the apes"? "Planet of the Apes" was a Hollywood movie starring Charleston Heston, and by the end of the movie, everyone who saw it liked the ape people, it didn't have anything at all to do with black people.

ABC, 1 step forward with Roseanne show, 2 steps backward canceling it.

SHAME!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

When are they going to cancel "The View" and "SNL"???
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL

Personally, I don't want any of them canceled, they should all be free to say whatever they want in their free time. They can be reprimanded or scolded if it violates their conduct requirements in their contracts, but canceling an entire show? That is vindictive and personal, that's not business, that's just wrong.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    By the way, do people know there is no such thing as a "planet of the apes"? "Planet of the Apes" was a Hollywood movie starring Charleston Heston, and by the end of the movie, everyone who saw it liked the ape people, it didn't have anything at all to do with black people.
    Not quite! You'll remember back to the Rodney King beating, that one of the cops said it looked like a scene from "Gorillas In The Mist", equating Rodney King, who is Black, to the apes depicted in that movie. So I understand that reference being bigoted and racist. But as you said, look at all the other obscene things said on broadcast or cable, just back to Michelle Wolf at the 2018 White House Correspondents' Dinner. The left condone that from left-wing "entertainers"! But when someone leaning right does something similar, not on their air waves, they cancel before the first board meeting. I feel Channing Dungey should be on the chopping block! Maybe the stockholders will feel that way too!

As for Valerie Jarrett, she is from Iran, and many people accused Obama of being Muslim. So it is not that far-fetched to think she would be as well.

What? The cop wasn't talking about Rodney King, they were talking about their next call after that, a family disturbance call they checked out, that when they got there, no complaints, no problems, and they left. It was a black family. You need to read your history articles better. They never explained what they meant, but it had something to do with the family structure in that family disturbance call, nothing to do with the Rodney King beating. It just happened on the same day and were part of radio messages of that day. The high-ups trying to account for the Rodney King beating used that totally separate unrelated incident to try and show the cops were racist by calling the black family disturbance call, like a scene from Gorillas in the Mist, which in the context of that family disturbance call meant under control and peaceful, like the Gorillas in the movie. Everyone loved the Gorillas in that movie. You can't use the Gorillas in that movie to issue an insult against someone. The gorillas are wonderful. It's the same with the Planet of the Apes movie, everyone loves the ape people from that movie, especially the lead ape woman.

A reference to Planet of the Apes is lovable but backwards, and the Obamites are backwards. They aren't forward-thinking problem-solvers, whether you're a white Obamaite or a black Obamaite or some other race of Obamaite. They're status quo groupies, like a clan or a cult even, you know like Globalists, taking care of their self-anoited elite selves at the expense of everyone else. But because Obama is viewed as "cool", they're lovable, likeable, popular.

I wonder, is the term "snowflake" racist? Gee, it might be now, huh?

You said Valerie Jarrett is from Iran, no she isn't. She is a US citizen born abroad in Iran while her TWO AMERICAN PARENTS worked in Iran. She is no more from Iran than John McCain is from Panama. Her Dad is some genius from MIT and worked in Iran on special projects for several years. According to wiki, her father is black American, her mother is 75% white, 25% black American. So Valerie is mixed race. I thought she was white, she looks white to me, not that it matters, I just don't get the rush to a judgment of racism in a tweet about someone who looks white and is 50% white.

Maybe show sponsors and advertisers pulled out and that's why they had to cancel the show. Usually it takes advertisers a lot longer than that. I don't know, it's just a darn shame, that's all. The good this show would have done for the American People of all races and backgrounds would have far outweighed whatever jab Valerie Jarrett would have to "endure". Valerie Jarrett was part of NSA Spying, Benghazi leave them to die, the running of illegal guns through Fast and Furious, funding of ISIS in Syria through the rebels sponsoring mass murders, hundreds of thousands of deaths, millions of refugees, hundreds of billions in property and infrastructure destruction, the phony deal with Iran, and has had her hand in all the rest of this mess as an Obamaite all of which far exceeds any "sensitivity" she may have felt from Roseanne's tweet, a trillion-fold.

Well, anyway, it's a shame to see ABC so over-react to her tweet and cancel this wonderful TV show that could have helped bring our country together by laughing with each other at ourselves, all of US together.

It's sad, it really is.

Oh, just a final point. The California jury acquitted all 4 cops involved in the Rodney King beating, "not guilty". Prosecutors should not have tried to prove it was a race-based hit on King, they should have stuck to the facts and prosecuted for just excessive force without the race card. They nearly killed him you know.
    Last edited by Judy; 05-29-2018 at 10:40 PM.

What? The cop wasn't talking about Rodney King, they were talking about their next call after that, a family disturbance call they checked out, that when they got there, no complaints, no problems, and they left. It was a black family.
    Source
    A judge has ruled that a police officer's comments likening a domestic dispute among blacks to the movie "Gorillas in the Mist" may be used as evidence against four white officers charged in the beating of a black motorist.

One of the officers, Laurence Powell, had asked that the comments, which were transmitted over squad car computers, be ruled inadmissible because they were made earlier on the same day, March 3, that the motorist, Rodney G. King, was beaten.
    It was a reference to Blacks, and your were wrong, it happened before!

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    You said Valerie Jarrett is from Iran, no she isn't. She is a US citizen born abroad in Iran while her TWO AMERICAN PARENTS worked in Iran.
    SHE WAS BORN IN IRAN. SHE SPENT HER FIRST FIVE YEARS IN IRAN. SO LIKE HER HERO, OBAMA, SHE WAS EXPOSED TO MUSLIM INFLUENCES FOR HER FIRST FIVE YEARS!

She is no more from Iran than John McCain is from Panama.
    You are a fountain of misguided information! John McCain was born on a military base to American parents. Valerie Jerrett was born to American parents working as civilians in Iran!

Her Dad is some genius from MIT and worked in Iran on special projects for several years.
    You are really on a roll!
    Wikipedia:
    One of her maternal great-grandfathers, Robert Robinson Taylor, was an architect who was the first accredited African American architect, and the first African American student enrolled at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
    Her father was a pathologist and geneticist!

Maybe show sponsors and advertisers pulled out and that's why they had to cancel the show.
    Roseanne's apology came hours before Channing Dungey cancelled the show. I don't think there was time for any board meeting or for sponsors to react. Dungey is Black, so I think she took it personally, despite the fact that it was no way aimed at her!

On McCain, oh, okay, well, she is my like my husband then who was born in a foreign Muslim country to two US citizens who worked for an American oil company overseas, he is not from that country, he is an American born abroad to his two US citizen parents and they didn't move back to the states until my husband was 16. He would punch your lights out if you wanted to tell him he was "from" that country and under some "Muslim" influence as a result. You show backwardness with these types of comments.

Oh well, it's been a long time since the Rodney King beating, 27 years. I thought it was the call after, but it was the call before, which confirms it was not the scene of the Rodney King beating that you claimed it was, but a comment made about an entirely unrelated family disturbance call. So why did you claim the LAPD officer described the scene of the Rodney King beating as a scene from "Gorillas of the Mist" when you knew that wasn't true??!!

On McCain, oh, okay, well, she is my like my husband then who was born in a foreign Muslim country to two US citizens who worked for an American oil company overseas, he is not from that country, he is an American born abroad to his two US citizen parents and they didn't move back to the states until my husband was 16. He would punch your lights out if you wanted to tell him he was "from" that country and under some "Muslim" influence as a result. You show backwardness with these types of comments.
    So your husband learned their violent ways in those 16 years!

John McCain I would guess went to school on the base. Jarrett and your husband were educated in schools of that country. Jarrett learned Farsi. was that because she dealt daily with Iranian children, many of them Muslim?

I thought it was the call after, but it was the call before, which confirms it was not the scene of the Rodney King beating that you claimed it was, but a comment made about an entirely unrelated family disturbance call.
    The judge allowed that as evidence, even though it was a different incident. Why? I suspect is it was showing a pattern in the King officers about racism. They did not condemn the comment by other officers. Sort of that they were not opposed to the idea of beating Blacks, which happened with them hours later.

So why did you claim the LAPD officer described the scene of the Rodney King beating as a scene from "Gorillas of the Mist" when you knew that wasn't true??!!
    To quote you, "Oh well, it's been a long time since the Rodney King beating, 27 years." I had to look it up. Damn, I'm getting old!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast