Huntsville Man Jailed In Pakistan, Accused Of Espionage
Reporter

11:30 p.m. CDT, September 12, 2011

HUNTSVILLE, AL— A Huntsville native is in jail in Pakistan. Matthew Barrett is accused of going into one of the country's restricted areas and being a spy. WHNT NEWS 19's Venton Blandin received an email from Barrett's wife, who's in Pakistan where her husband has been in jail since June, just minutes before the newscast. She stated in the email that she plans to be in court with her husband on Tuesday. September 13. WHNT NEWS 19 talked with one of Barrett's high school friends.

Barrett has lived in Pakistan for more than three years. The 27-year-old ran into a problem while driving along a road 20 miles outside of Islamabad.

"There was this sign that said no foreigners pass this point, and I stopped. I motioned to the guard to ask if I was going the right way, or the wrong way," said Barrett in a video posted online.

Pakistani Police detained the Huntsville native. Pakistani media are reporting Barrett is accused of going into an unauthorized area.

"I've been living here three and a half years. There have been no problems. It is just all of a sudden, Pakistan and the United States of America are having problems, and they are taking it out on me," added Barrett.

Rachel Williams is one of Barrett's high school friends. They share an eight year friendship.

"It terrified me. I was terrified for him. I was thinking what is going on with him. You are terrified by what's going on there and for an American over there any way," said Williams.

She says Barrett was let go, but police stormed his home a short time later. Williams says her friend's wife and two children saw it happen.

Barrett is now accused espionage.

"It's completely ridiculous. We just could not believe that anyone would think that," added Williams.

Williams is worried about her high school friend.

"He's had some teeth knocked out. I know he has been threatened with knives. I've been terrified for him," added Williams.

Barrett's friend says his father-in-law is working as his lawyer. There is not much information coming out of the Pakistani Police or court system, so family and friends here in Huntsville aren't sure what may happen next with his case.

http://www.whnt.com/news/whnt-huntsvill ... 9459.story