(Almost) Unbelievable – the pro-tax, pro-big government, teachers' union just gave $1 million to oppose traditional marriage

(Almost) Unbelievable – the pro-tax, pro-big government, teachers' union just gave $1 million to oppose traditional marriage.

In 27 years of political involvement, I've come close to seeing it all. Today, I think I have.

The hyper-liberal California Teachers Association (CTA), ostensibly a group of professionals that is supposed to care about our children's education, has just contributed $1 million against Proposition 8, the traditional marriage initiative.

Remarkable.

How can a union that purports to represent 330,000 California teachers justify giving $1,000,000 of teachers' dues money to an initiative that has nothing to do with taxes or education? Is it because they want more public school 1st graders to go on field trips during the school day to participate in same-sex marriages as happened last week in San Francisco? At the most basic level how does giving $1 million of dues money to support same-sex marriage increase teachers' salaries or benefits? It doesn't, of course.

So, I have two recommendations for any teacher who is outraged by this.

First, ask the CTA for a refund of your dues money that was not used for legitimate collective bargaining purposes. In the case of the CTA, this equals about half of your dues money. You can learn how to do this by going to this link: http://www.nrtw.org/special-legal-notic ... g-expenses. If you write the letter by this November 15th, you'll get at least a $300 dues rebate for the portion of your dues that went to pay the $1 million for same sex marriage.

Second, send a check for $300, the amount of your rebate, to the folks at www.Protectmarriage.com. Or, use a credit card to donate at: https://www.icontribute.us/protectmarri ... ive/splash.

By doing so, you'll cancel out the assistance you have unwillingly given to overturn a few thousand years of common sense and successful human tradition. You'll also help counter the $250,000 given to the No on 8 side by PG&E, the electricity monopoly for northern California, and the $100,000 from actor Brad Pitt.

Lastly, you can come on down and join me at a phone bank tonight in Irvine to help pass Prop. 8. The details follow.

All the best,

Chuck DeVore
California State Assemblyman, 70th District