Hey fellow Coloradans,

I received this email from Congressman Perlmutter:

You are invited to my
District Office Open House!

Please stop by my District Office and meet me, fellow constituents and my staff. Refreshments will be served. Please RSVP to: 303-274-7944.

When: This Saturday, December 13 from 10:00 AM to Noon
Where: Golden Hill Office Center 12600 W. Colfax Ave. Suite B400 Lakewood, CO 80215 (4th Floor)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important Update on
the Auto Loan Legislation

On December 10, 2008, I voted along with a bipartisan majority of the House of Representatives for HR 7321, Auto Industry Financing and Restructuring Act. H.R. 7321 passed the House on a 237 to 170 vote and is now awaiting Senate action. The legislation includes up to a $15 billion short-term bridge loan to the Big Three Auto companies. I urge the Senate to quickly pass and the President to sign into law this bill which is vital to maintaining an American manufacturing base and preventing a further economic collapse.

» Click here to watch my floor speech in support of a condition-based loan to the big three auto manufacturers.

I voted for this bill because I believe it is essential to our national security, protecting jobs, and to maintaining the manufacturing industry in this nation. Working with House Leadership and my Financial Services Committee, I fought to include provisions to secure taxpayer loans and condition them as senior debt - meaning the U.S. gets paid back before other creditors - in a constitutional manner.

Furthermore, I worked to include provisions that a "car czar" appointed by the President has the authority to condition any loans to the auto manufacturers as he sees fit. If the "car czar" feels the auto makers aren't making progress in restructuring, then they can call the loan or have the auto manufacturers go through bankruptcy. Furthermore if they need more tools to enforce the restructuring, he can come back to Congress and ask for more authority.

In determining whether I could support this legislation, it was important to me that the bill included restrictions on executive pay, dividend distribution, and that the debt owed to the U.S. would not be dischargeable in bankruptcy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homeland Security Update

My Statement on the Prospective Nomination of
Janet Napolitano as Secretary of Homeland Security.

As a member of the House Homeland Security Committee I take our nation's safety very seriously. I am pleased with President-Elect Obama's choice of Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano to be Secretary of Homeland Security. Gov. Napolitano's law enforcement background makes her an ideal pick for a department with such a wide array of responsibility.

Governor Napolitano has her work cut out for her at DHS. She is inheriting a department plagued by bureaucratic inefficiency, low employee morale, and programmatic failures at a time when our nation's enemies are on the rebound. The sooner she can be confirmed to address these problems, the safer our nation will be. Her track record in Arizona proves she has the leadership to address major problems, and I am confident in her skills.

I look forward to working with her and her team to secure our borders, help our community first preventers and responders, protect our transportation systems, and prevent and expose terrorist plots.

Presidential Inauguration Update

While details regarding tickets are still pending, our office has begun preparations for our constituents who wish to attend the ceremony. We will be contacting people who requested tickets shortly. Thank you for you patience.

***PLEASE NOTE***

Due to the unprecedented demand for tickets to
President-elect Obama's swearing in ceremony,
our office stopped accepting ticket
requests at 5 p.m. MST on Weds., Nov. 26, 2008.

*For more information and background about the
Presidential Inauguration Click Here.*

Our office has a limited number of tickets available with the vast majority of these tickets for standing room only on the mall. Fewer tickets will be available for the sections closer to the stage, and a number of those areas will require a background check.

If you have any questions, concerns or comments do not hesitate to contact my District Office at: 12600 W. Colfax Ave. Suite B400, Lakewood, CO 80215 (303)-274-7944.

Sincerely,

Congressman Ed Perlmutter

So if you are a constituent, let's go visit the congressman.