Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Are Babyboomers Selfish

Entitled Selfishness
    The baby-boomer generation is in a state of denial about the true cost of their retirement benefits. Why their blindness on the issue could put the country's future at risk.
    By Robert J. Samuelson
    Newsweek
    Updated: 2:03 p.m. CT Jan 10, 2007
    Jan. 10, 2007 - As someone born in late 1945, I say this to the 76 million or so subsequent baby boomers and particularly to Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, our generation's leading politicians: shame on us. We are trying to rob our children and grandchildren, putting the country's future at risk in the process. On one of the great issues of our time, the social and economic costs of our retirement, we have adopted a policy of selfish silence.
    As Congress reconvenes, pledges of "fiscal responsibility" abound. Let me boldly predict: on retirement spending, this Congress will do nothing, just as previous Congresses have done nothing. Nancy Pelosi promises to "build a better future for all of America's children." If she were serious, she would back cuts in Social Security and Medicare. President Bush calls "entitlement spending" the central budget problem. If he were serious, he, too, would propose cuts in Social Security and Medicare.

They are not serious, because few Americans—particularly prospective baby-boom retirees—want them to be. There is a consensus against candor, because there is no constituency for candor. It's no secret that the 65-and-over population will double by 2030 (to almost 72 million, or 20 percent of the total population), but hardly anyone wants to face the implications.

By comparison, other budget issues, including the notorious earmarks, are trivial. In 2005, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid (the main programs for the elderly) cost $1.034 trillion, twice the amount of defense spending and more than two fifths of the total federal budget. These programs are projected to equal about three quarters of the budget by 2030, if it remains constant as a share of national income.

Preserving present retirement benefits automatically imposes huge costs on the young—costs that are economically unsound and socially unjust. The tax increases required by 2030 could hit 50 percent, if other spending is maintained as a share of national income. Or much of the rest of government (from defense to national parks) would have to be shut down or crippled. Or budget deficits would balloon to quadruple today's level.
    Social Security and Medicare benefits must be cut to keep down overall costs. Yes, some taxes will be raised and some other spending cut. But much of the adjustment should come from increasing eligibility ages (ultimately to 70) and curbing payments to wealthier retirees. Americans live longer and are healthier. They can work longer and save more for retirement.

Because I've written all this before, I can anticipate some of the furious responses from prospective retirees. First will be the "social compact" argument: we paid to support today's retirees; tomorrow's workers must pay to support us. Well, of course they will pay; the question is how much. The alleged compact is entirely artificial, acknowledged only by those who benefit from it. My three children (ages 16 to 21) didn't endorse it. Judging from the e-mail I receive, neither did many twenty- or thirtysomethings.

Next I'll hear that the Social Security and Medicare trust funds, intended to cover future benefits, have been "plundered." Blame Congress and the White House—not us. This is pure fiction.

Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are pay-as-you-go programs. Present taxes pay present benefits. In 2005, 86 percent of Social Security payroll taxes went to pay current retiree benefits. True, excess taxes had created a "surplus" in the Social Security trust fund (it hasn't been "plundered") of $1.66 trillion in 2005; but that equaled less than four years' worth of present benefits. More important, Medicare and Medicaid represent three quarters of the projected spending increase for retirees by 2030.
    All the misinformation bespeaks political evasion. With his rhetorical skills, Clinton might have raised public understanding. Instead, he lowered it by falsely denouncing the Republicans for attempting to "destroy" Medicare. The first refuge of good Democrats is to accuse the Republicans of conspiring against old folks by trying to dismantle Social Security and Medicare. And Bush's credibility is shot, because he made the problem worse. His Medicare drug benefit increases spending, and though it could have been justified as part of a grand bargain that reduced other benefits, its isolated enactment was a political giveaway.

The failure to communicate also implicates many pundits and think tanks, liberal and conservative. Pundits usually speak in bland generalities. They support "fiscal responsibility" and "entitlement reform" and oppose big budget deficits. Less often do they say plainly that people need to work longer and that retirees need to lose some benefits. Think tanks endlessly publish technical reports on Social Security and Medicare, but most avoid the big issues. Are present benefits justified? How big can government become before the resulting taxes or deficits harm the economy?

Opportunities for gradual change have been squandered. These public failings are also mirrored privately. I know many bright, politically engaged boomers who can summon vast concern or outrage about global warming, corporate corruption, foreign policy, budget deficits and much more—but somehow, their own Social Security and Medicare benefits rarely come up for discussion or criticism. Older boomers (say, those born by 1955) are the most cynical, hoping their benefits will be grandfathered in when inevitable cuts occur in the future.

Our children will not be so blind to this hypocrisy. We have managed to take successful programs—Social Security and Medicare—and turn them into huge problems by our self-centered inattention. Baby boomers seem eager to "reinvent retirement" in all ways except those that might threaten their pocketbooks.

© 2007 Newsweek, Inc. | Subscribe to Newsweek

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16562633/si ... /?GT1=8921

They are the crazy Liberals that are trying to destroy this country!

A big portion of our Congressmen are Baby Boomers! Seriously, quit electing Boomers bypass them for GenXers which are far more conservative. If they were born before 1960, for get about them.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You are right on, Dixie. Social Security needs to be phased out. I do not want, nor need to pay for, a program like Medicare. There are ways to fix the problem, I'm sure. But our baby boomers in Congress, all of them rich, don't care.
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!

Banned
    There would be no "cost" of retirement benefits if they were administered as a fund rather than up for grabs as part of the general fund. Look at the privatized benefits of places like Galveston, Texas, which to advantage of a brief window of opportunity back in the early '80s to opt out of SS and create its own plan. People who retire with full benefits generally enjoy monthly retirement payments that are two to three times their salaries at the time of retirement and they may pass any unpaid benefits from their fund to their heirs.

I'm tired of baby boomers being blamed for this and that.

I worked and paid social security taxes, for my parents, grandparents, etc. to have some little bit of money coming in...as did all these labeled "baby boomers" did.

Where my husband and I worked, and he's still there, they didn't start a 401k, until many years after we were first hired...when I retired, my 401k wasn't much at all....not even a years salary.

Maybe a lot of baby boomers became rich, but many of us did not! We don't have the latest flat screen on a wall, or new newest gadgets all over the place, nor a new car.

The problem with S.S. is that our government dipped into it...then they got us deep into debt, now they have allowed our good paying jobs to be outsourced. They should be held accountable....they are no better than thieves!

I too think S.S. should be changed, but putting blame on baby boomers is not helping anything. It should have been reworked years ago.

My elderly cousin's husband died in his late 50's. They didn't have kids, so they both worked...only his salary was bigger than hers. The S.S. office told her she could pick which S.S. to take, his or hers...but not both.

I think that is wrong too. Of course she took his, but died in the 1970's, and his salary wasn't that great either.

Government tells us now that we don't have enough young people working to support S.S. for the elderly....that's one of the reasons they want these illegals to stay here.....yet the send Billions $$$$ overseas, each and every year!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

This is just another example of blaming someone else for something they see wrong.
    I'm a baby boomer too and I grew up poor, though I did not know it at they time, we had fun back then, real fun! Not like the kids today that need all these toys and computers and all that other stuff that I don't even know about. I used to work with a friend of mine during the summers doing odd jobs at 75 cents an hour for the both of us. I have worked hard all my life and payed my taxes including SSI, the money I will receive back is not the govt. money it is mine, they took it giving me no choice and now I want it back when I retire. If not you will see a massive class action law suit over this.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDog
    This is just another example of blaming someone else for something they see wrong.
    I'm a baby boomer too and I grew up poor, though I did not know it at they time, we had fun back then, real fun! Not like the kids today that need all these toys and computers and all that other stuff that I don't even know about. I used to work with a friend of mine during the summers doing odd jobs at 75 cents an hour for the both of us. I have worked hard all my life and payed my taxes including SSI, the money I will receive back is not the govt. money it is mine, they took it giving me no choice and now I want it back when I retire. If not you will see a massive class action law suit over this.
    We too weren't rich. And my brother and I didn't know it. After my parents died, Dad being a photographer, had many photos and negatives we had to go through....just too many for me to keep.

Only then, looking at the pictures of our home and toys under the tree, did I really grasp how much we didn't have!

Like you, we had fun, used our imagination, was taught respect and enjoyed family picnics every Sunday afternoon, even if it snowed.

I miss those days!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Social security has been dwindling for a long time. Bush was scorned for his proposal to give Americans an alternative, and many acted like he was solely responsible for the demise of social security. We have so much waste in this country, cut the pork, reduce foreign donations, and start making the socially irresponsible pay for their actions. We need to stop playing Robin Hood in this country, and start taking care of the good people who are contributing to it's success.

Right on, Neese!
    THE POOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT IN MY AVATAR CROSSED OVER THE WRONG BORDER FENCE!!!