Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFomorian
    Quote Originally Posted by tiredofapathy
    Fomorian wrote:

Well BFR,
    When you say our culture, I know your are not on the same page.
    Other than speaking English in public, I don't see how you came to your conclusions.
    Take a closer look:
    Having my wife lock my hair while we listen to jazz. The children eating dinner, fingers sticky with fufu, making jokes in Igbo and Yoruba. On sundays we go to a Christian church, let's not forget Christianity was practiced in Africa long before Europe. On December 26 we celebrate Kwanzaa, not because of the age of the holiday, but because it is positive and African American.
    My children study math, African diasporic Literature, African diasporic history. And at the same time, I can stand up and say I and my family are 100% American.
    Forgive my observation (and certainly you will take issue with it because our races differ) but I'd much prefer you recognize the considerable emphasis you place on your black culture and see it for what it is. While you are most welcome to pride yourself in your ethnic heritage (as is any Americans right), once you identify yourself exclusively with it you set yourself apart from those around you. Identifying yourself herein as African American (with or without the hyphen) and then in the same breathe proclaiming to be 100% American seems to me to be a bit convoluted. I am American....not Anglo Saxon Protestant Scotch Irish American, although I am proud of my heritage. I live in America, not Little Scotland, Little Ireland, or Chinatown, or Mexifornia. Let's not pick one another apart here and hyphenate our heritage. Let's join together as one America, oust the invaders, and instead of propogating the future from the mistakes of the past, begin anew in unison and in hope.

What I'm trying to say so desperately is that we are not enemies, nor are we elevated one above the other by race, gender, or education. Equal rights is a concept I embrace and espouse, but you can't point out your differences (eloquently or not) and expect the focus to be on your similarities. Colorblindness is the center of a world I long for, and it is one that will be achieved only after all peoples stop demanding it and simply let it be...
    I will not take issue with your post because you have spoken the truth, except for one point.
    I want to make it very clear that this discussion was about culture and not race. I am not your enemy but at the same time I am not your subject either. Europeans don't need my validation and I don't need theirs as to what culture we choose. But in the end we can both claim to be American.
    As for using the term African American, I use that as sort of a quick out of pocket illustrative term and not as definitive statement in and of itself. You are right though, I need to stop using that word.

Until we all understand that slavery is a human problem not a racial one .

Europeans were kept in and out of slavery throughout history .

Arabs and jews alike were in slavery.

The blacks who came to America as slaves were sold to the whites by their black slave masters .

In Uk the serfs were slaves to the rich .

China, India,Africa still have slaves .

But one of the worse slavery's is the child sex slave market that has no national bounderys.

Lets get back to fighting for this nation and forget about all this past history that divides us .

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod
    TheFomorian,
    It looks like you've gotten yourself into a good old fashioned gang tackle. They are hitting you high and low.
    First the heavy handed European culture warrior steps up to the plate, no doubt with pursed lips, typing away thinking to themselves, "I'll show this uppity boy a thing or two!" Obviously that fell flat and they sent in the soft spoken "voice of reason" with flowery undertones of morality and visions of kumbaya. But when the fat lady has sung, both approaches were constructed to get you to stand there with your proud self and form your ungrateful black lips to sing the praises, and only the praises, of European culture. Doing otherwise is encouraging division.

And then there's the tricky interpretation of assimilation. As long as you observe your freedom within the boundaries of law, that is assimilation. By letting them tell you that the phrase African American is wrong is a bit arrogant, don't you think? Notice the other "voices" cueing in as if they have been practicing this? Notice how they talk about you or indirectly about the subject but never counter directly. That should tell you two things: They are trying to galvanize their view and that they seek that particular control over you (African Americans).

Think about it! Americans (I presume), are telling another American that his definition of being an American is wrong or insufficient. They don't get to make the rules on that! Hispanics have been saying a long time that our side isn't all that it's cracked up to be and I think they are right. If you were truly accepted into the American family,as you are a real American, then why is your culture such a big deal? Because if they get you on this, then there is nothing left but to bow your knee to European culture. It's all about control and domination. I say continue to reject European culture, you'll be much happier!

PS I liked that channel, I'm going to write it to see if I can get it in my area.

Maybe you'd be happier instigating trouble with your burnt out victimhood in Africa then you could call yourself an American African, NOT ?

I think you should be proud to be out of that hellhole Africa where they are hacking each other up and still owning slaves like they did before they sold them to us .

Where they have several wives and 50 or 60 kids to starve and die of desease .

So maybe your heretage is no better than your dishonored home here . And don't blame us for the mess, because it has been a mess for centuries . It is a culture of death and misery, be grateful your out of it . And if you celebrate it, do it with honesty and and cause yourself the pain that nation keeps it's citizens in .

We are tired of being the scapegoat for all the worlds evil . Whites are no more evil than anyone else . God Bless America ! If you don't love it and it's people than maybe you'd be happier some place else .like Darfur or Somalia .

Quote Originally Posted by NOamNASTY
    Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedGnome
    umm, the immigrants are not trying to destroy America.

Yes, that may be what the result is. But the vast majority came here for a better life. If they hurt us in the process, well I don't they care. But they came here for something better, not to destroy us.
    But they are destroying us in the process of seeking a better life even if they do no come to destroy. They can fight in their home countries for a beter life. The are destroying our American dream and that is not o.k. There are many countries that would like to come here for a better life. There is nothing about illegal aliens that gives them special rank. They need to go through the process of our immigration laws and they do not. And we will fight for what is ours.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678