Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Border war. New book THE REAPER'S LINE

Please pass this e-mail around to your friends.

Those interested in the border. Here's the real world.
    If you haven't been there you should go. This takes
    place ON AMERICAN SOIL. You must imagine what the
    ranchers and families live with 24/7 as you read this
    and they have no protection. The border patrol is not
    there to protect them necessarily unless it is a case
    they are working on. Residents very seldom see them
    and when they do they are tearing down the dirt roads
    to intercept crossers.

I am currently reading a book by Lee Morgan. David ,
    I bet you know some of the events and persons he
    writes about. He must have retired around 2000.

The name of the book is THE REAPER'S LINE by former
    Border Patrol Agent, Special Agent - Customs service.
    Lee Morgan II

He discusses his disgust with the Elite in regards to
    the weapons they were expected to carry in comparison
    to the sophisticated weapons that they were up against
    that the criminals had.

He discusses his days in Naco, and Douglas, and
    reminds me of the Weeks I had spent in that area the
    last several years.

"our duties included patrolling the U.S. Mexican
    border and tracking and arresting illegal aliens
    discovered crossing the border. I would later learn
    that aliens were just the tip of the iceberg down
    south on the frontera. Dope smugglers, burglars,
    border bandits, homicide suspects, communists, and
    violent fugitives from ALL countries and agencies were
    a few of the bad guys on the list of violators a
    border patrol agent may encounter during his day."

He goes on to discuss a 300 foot long tunnel in
    Douglas, corrupt Judges and agents, and all manner of
    confrontations he came in contact with, describing
    them explicitly. Language is rough, but that is the
    way it is there as in the military as well.

I admire and want to thank all Border Patrolmen who
    put their lives on the line every day protecting our
    country from an element we very seldom come in contact
    with. Let us do every thing we can do to free two
    agents disgracefully in prison, solitary confinement,
    for doing their job because a president who has
    turned his head refusing to come to their aid while he
    freely struts around eating steak and living in a
    mansion.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

From Publishers Weekly:
    The U.S.-Mexican border is one of the most violent places on earth, writes retired drug enforcement agent Morgan. He makes his case over 500 pages of gunplay, fisticuffs and bloodshed interspersed with profanity-laced denunciations of rival agencies and clueless Washington officials who believe they understand illegal immigration and drug smuggling. Having enjoyed serving inVietnam, Morgan sought similar adventure in the Border Patrol and the Custom Service's drug enforcement service. Working mostly in Arizona, he found corrupt officials and Border Patrolmen cooperating with corrupt Mexican officials, police and soldiers to transport drugs and people into the U.S. Still, he and fellow officers intercepted countless shipments, which the author recounts in excessive but lively rounds of shootouts, car chases and murder. Reforms that created the Department of Homeland Security and shifted antidrug enforcement to the Border Patrol are disastrous, he asserts, because the patrol is hopelessly corrupt. Sneering at the current immigration debate, he insists no barrier or law can keep out Mexicans in search of work and that the money would be better spent on making Mexico prosperous enough to provide jobs for its people. Despite the incessant fireworks and macho prose style, the book provides a thoughtful view of these issues. (Sept.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
    Lee Morgan's Line, September 5, 2007
    By S. A. Rickman (Granite Bay, CA) - See all my reviews

Reading this book is like having Lee Morgan II in your face. It's like listening to a monologue from some guy in a blue-collar bar. After two or three beers, he's throwing bottles and banging his fist on the table, and you're nodding and smiling and eyeing the door. Only you don't leave because you've just got to hear where the story's going.

This collection of war stories and rants from Morgan's years as a federal agent on the Mexican border is served up in the finest southern good ol' boy style. Redman is the chew to calm your nerves before the stuff hits the fan, and the stuff is said to hit the fan too many times to count. But if the raunchy style doesn't put you off, the book offers a unique inside look at our undeclared border war with Mexico and the people who are fighting it.

There is bitterness in this book, and it's no big surprise when Morgan reveals that he was forced into retirement from Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He was "put out to pasture" for outspokenly opposing cooperation with the Border Patrol, which he claims is "one of the most corrupt law enforcement agencies in existence."

But it's not just his former bosses who are the targets of Morgan's wrath. He rails at the REMFs (Rear-Echelon so-and-so's) who deprive field agents of the weapons and equipment they need and impose asinine rules that hamstring field operations. He sneers at the cynicism of national politicians who certify the Mexican government as a partner in the war on drugs and require the border services to provide Mexican officials with the names of confidential informants in Mexico. But he reserves his heaviest artillery for the Mexican government, dope smugglers, human traffickers, corrupt agents, and redneck border vigilantes.

Morgan names names, accusing scores of people, including mayors, judges, governors, and presidents, of everything from ineptness to outright corruption. About the only people that escape his flames are migrant workers, with whom he sympathizes, and his fellow field agents - the honest ones, that is.

The war stories are mostly rip-roaring action tales. There are enough gun, knife, and fist fights, wild car chases and crashes to make a Steven Seagal movie. There are tortured bodies cropping up in shallow graves, psycho killers, smuggled AK-47's, booby-trapped tunnels, and buried explosives. Reader discretion advised: content might not be suitable for intellectuals and wimps.

Some of the stories dealing with migrant workers are sad. A few stories are eccentrically funny, like the time Morgan drew down on Jimmy Stewart with a shotgun, and then apologized in a self-mocking parody of a southern drawl. You get the feeling the stories are embellished to make good tales, but that's all right. That's how it is with war stories.

There are no maps in this book. Also, there are no footnotes, no list of sources, bibliograpy, index, photos, or acknowledgements. If you're looking for the kind of balanced, well-researched and documented reportage Bob Woodward or Mark Bowden would do, you won't find it here. What you got here is Lee Morgan, in your face, the man telling you how he sees it, banging on the table. You smile and nod and stay in your seat because you want to see where he's going with it.

Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Was this review helpful to you? Report this | Permalink
    Comment

1 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
    A Great Read, June 7, 2007
    By N. Wickman (Canyon Lake, TX) - See all my reviews

What an incredible real life adventure story. I couldn't put it down. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Comment

6 of 7 people found the following review helpful:
    told the way it happened, January 25, 2007
    By H. Earnest "Flyfishinghank" (Ocean Springs, ms) - See all my reviews

As a 19 year veteran of the Border Patrol, with my first 10 years in Douglas, AZ I can say for a fact that the book is completely true. I was there! For the Record I do know Mr. Morgan very well. These events actually happened, occasionaly I was involved also. Other reviewers may doubt the authencity I don't. As for putting the USBP in a bad light, maybe maybe not. We get what we deserve. I find no fault with Lee on this. He did not portray all BP agents as inept nor did he portray all Customs agents saintly. The truth is the truth.
    Great Book Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Comment

4 of 5 people found the following review helpful:
    Scary Reading, January 14, 2007
    By Joan L. Wolf (Selma, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews

I am retired from the California Department of Corrections and could write my own book about the flow of illegal aliens. I can attest that there are prison gangs that require that the potential member is illegal. As a nurse, I can also attest to where California Tax dollars are spent on illegals. I enjoyed the humourous and factual content. This book should be required reading for all law enforcement that will be dealing with the illegal alien problems. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Comment

4 of 4 people found the following review helpful:
    Awesome Book!, January 11, 2007
    By J. Harbor (Plano, TX United States) - See all my reviews

Very real to life from a man who spent many years trying to make our country safe. He has very good and true notions about drugs and immigration. As a law enforcement officer, everything he says about the administration is true of every government agency. Seems the ones in the carpeted office who have never been there (or havent in so long they forgot how it was) can make all the decisions about what is best for you and how best to do your job. I admire the author for his many years of dedication and service, and the care and concern he shows for his "kids". Too bad that instead of being pushed out, he wasn't pushed up, could have made a world of difference for our future, our country, and our agents. I am sure that the REMF's see it as "sour grapes", but believe me, the attitude and beliefs are TRUE! Thank you Lee Morgan! Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Comment

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
    Like all but the end, January 4, 2007
    By Robert G. Daniels Jr. "pio4bp" (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews

After hearing about this book, I immediately ordered it to read about life along the border in SE Arizona. I found the book to be a very good read. However, I wasn't necessarily pleased about the author's broadbrushed description of the Border Patrol. Like all law enforcement agencies, there are "bad apples" that tarnish the reputation of others.
    This shouldn't take away from the many "good" people who bust their butts everyday as agents. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Comment

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful:
    Mexican Border eye-opener!, January 4, 2007
    By P. Claunch "USA lover" (The Villages, FL ,USA) - See all my reviews

This book is a real eye-opener! The book is about the illegals who cross our borders daily and the powerful and dangerous drug cartels that are involved. The story contains rough language which at times is excessive, however, the tough job of the border patrol done by tough agents makes the language appropriate. I know these accounts to be true because my sister lives in the town of Douglas, Az. and she has had illegals going through and hiding in her yard..she lives a few blocks from the border itself. It seems as if the authorities have turned away from, or not taken seriously, the reality and REAL threat of what is happening down there as recounted in the book. The hundreds of people who come through illegally leave depris and trash and on occasion "prayer rugs". The book is well written and I am impressed with the descriptive way the author writes and I highly recommend it's reading by anyone who is concerned about the safety of our borders. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Comment

15 of 17 people found the following review helpful:
    Wow! A real life adventure story that also educates. Get and read and then get your politicans to act!, December 8, 2006
    By Craig Matteson (Ann Arbor, MI) - See all my reviews

Most of us have only vague notions about what goes on at the border between the United States and Mexico. I had no idea how violent, dangerous, and corrupt it is. The author of this book, Lee Morgan II, is a retired Special Agent who spent his career fighting the drug traffic in and around Douglas, Arizona. His tales will shock and amaze you. Yet, you will also get frustrated and angry that our government (at all levels) is either not serious or unendingly inept in dealing with the issues at our border.

Morgan lays out how officials of the Mexican government and its military are deeply involved in protecting and even running the drug trade. He shows us the corrupt officials on both sides of the border and how he some on the American side came to justice and how others continue to avoid conviction and punishment for their crimes.

The story includes crazy chases and wild gun battles as well as patient and detailed investigations. However, I felt the most frustration and even anger at the careerists who thought more of advancement than getting their job done, of politicians on the take, and others who were more interested in all manner of issues than securing our border with Mexico and cutting off the drug trade. Many simply throw up their hands in the face of the tidal waves of drugs coming in. After all, they must say to themselves, if Americans want these drugs nothing can stop this flow, so why pay the price to try and end up failing. Easier to fail in a way that makes one look good, huh?

While this is a book of non-fiction, the stories share are the stuff of action movies (although I think they are better told in these pages than Hollywood would end up portraying them on screen). The language is pretty rough, but sounds pretty much as if it is Lee Morgan's normal speech. Maybe, rough as it is, it is even toned down a bit. Even so, it is very much worth reading. So, I overlooked the swearing.

I haven't found anyone in the media, anywhere, sharing the truth as it is told here. It is as if the media, the politicians, and others all want us to not understand what is happening. This is especially so because the vast majority want the border secured. If the stuff in these pages were actually explained publicly, that the drug problem and political corruption are MUCH worse than the millions of illegals streaming in, public opinion would catch fire and force the politicians to shut the border down. I hope it happens.

So, I say, get and read this book. Educate yourself, and then get on your politicians and don't let go until they do the right things. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews

7 of 8 people found the following review helpful:
    An Eye-Opener, November 24, 2006
    By Soapsuds "MC" (El Paso, TX USA) - See all my reviews

"The Reaper's Line" is not only an eye-opener; a revelation, but a thought-provoking true story about law enforcement on the border as well.

The author's style of writing makes the reader feel as if he or she is sitting on a rocking chair in front of Lee Morgan II, the author. Literally speaking, he sits opposite the reader on a rocking chair, as well, telling his story as he whittles away a piece of wood.

However, his story has long been carved.

Lee Morgan II is a former Marine Vietnam Veteran. The experiences in Vietnam landed him a job with the US government. The author received the Bronze Star and Purple Heart during his military service. He received many awards for outstanding achievement during his 31-years as a federal law enforcement official with the Department of Justice, the US Treasury Department, Border Patrol, Custom's Office, and Homeland Security.

The author used the expertise he learned in Vietnam during his tenure as an undercover Custom's officer. The Vietnam experiences helped him stomach the animalistic atrocities performed by the corrupt Mexican police and Mexican corrupt Army and the drug cartels. The gut-wrenching, vile, repulsive, and abominable acts done against drug runners, and informants, when they were arrested, and their drug loads were seized by the Border Patrol and Custom's Officers makes the reader want to throw up.

The author presents the reader with facts about the unbelievable corruption, not only on the Mexican side of the border, but with lawmaking and supposedly, law-managing officials on the American side as well. These officials included a chief of police, a judge, prominent members of the community, and even some of the authors' co-workers who could not resist the temptation of easy, dirty money. The readers' stomach will turn on finding out, firsthand about all the inhumane atrocities and how badly corruption runs amok and out of control on both sides of the border.

Even though, most of the authors' story deals with the drug enforcement efforts and the constant interference of REMF'S who sit on their plush offices in Washington, D.C., the author also deals extensively with the current problem of illegal aliens (REMF's is an acronym for words that cannot be printed here).

The reader will be well-informed, and become less misconceived and ill-conceived about that everlasting human problem of the illegal alien, which at times the author presents it as being humane, compassionate, caring, kind and gentle as well. Nevertheless, as the author says, "The law is the law and must be enforced."

The reader will know that despite the horrible corruption, on both ends of the border, the greater percentage of Untied Stated of America men and women in uniform who solemnly swear to keep justice and the law, do so honorably. As the author, Lee Morgan II did for 31 years.

"The Reaper's Line is a must read for all Americans concerned with the illegal alien problem and Homeland Security.

A few interesting excerpts from the book,

Excerpt from the book: pp. 427, Chapter 19; "...Through our State Department at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico, City, we were required to notify the Mexican Attorney General of our investigations and informants in Mexico. This notification included the informants, designated alphanumeric identity codes, operational dates in Mexico, operational locations in Mexico, the full names of the Mexican drug traffickers and targets the informants were working on, and a synopsis of the informants' past an proposed future undercover dope buys from the specifically named traffickers. (Gee, whiz! I'm surprised that Janet Reno didn't want the informants' dates of birth so they would be readily available to be carved onto their f.....g headstones!)"

Excerpt from the book: pp. 429, Chapter 19; "...And would you like to know just how big a sellout this was? Compare it to this: Each year the president of the United States gives $6 or $7 million to Mexico supposedly to be used in the war on drugs. Would you like to know what the U.S. government gets in return? Not a f.....g thing. Zero. The Mexicans don't give us an operational plan on how the funds are going to be used, or an accounting of the expenditures! There are no Mexican documents that I'm aware of that detail where these millions have gone. For all we know, and I wouldn't doubt this a bit, the Mexican government may be using your U.S. tax dollars to cultivate and harvest their own g.....n poppy fields! Yet in return, we are now giving them the heads-up on our operations and informants in Mexico!"

Excerpt from the book: pp. 436, Chapter 19; "...Whose doorstep do you lay this at? President Clinton and his desire to keep the NAFTA benefits flowing? Or Attorney General Janet Reno because she cowed down to her boss because he was upset that we pissed the Mexicans off over the Casablanca investigation? Certainly a combination of both would be most correct. Had the president not bent over backwards for Mexican relations after Operation Casablanca, and had Reno not given away our informants to Mexico under the absolutely insidious Brownsville Agreement, these operatives would not have been murdered. And yes, even though some will say they were only scumbag informants, they were still real people with hopes, dreams, and loving families, just like you or me."

http://www.amazon.com/Reapers-Line-Deat ... 188789697X
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thank you for the reviews.
    <div>''Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Paige
    Thank you for the reviews.
    Thanks for posting information on this book. I had not heard about it before but you can be sure I wll purchase a copy from Amazon to read.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)