Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Boy takes control of semi, prevents crash

By KOMO Staff

Watch the story

ST. HELENS, Ore. - A 9-year-old boy is being hailed a hero for preventing a semi truck from crashing into oncoming cars.

Matthew Lovo Jr. was forced to take the wheel of a runaway tractor trailer Monday after his father passed out due to a medical emergency, leading to a dramatic few moments until a passerby helped stop the vehicle.

"I turned the steering wheel and then parked the truck, and a lot of police came real fast," Lovo Jr. said.

According to St. Helens police, it happened about 4:15 p.m. as Matthew Lovo Sr. was driving his semi, which was pulling two trailers of lumber north through St. Helens with his son riding shotgun.

At some point, the father passed out unexpectedly and fell from the driver's seat, leading the semi to drift into oncoming lanes of traffic and strike a utility pole.

"And it took me well over an hour to figure out where I had come from," said Lovo Sr. "I didn't remember being out to Eugene that morning or to Tillamook."

The son jumped in the driver's seat and started steering the truck back into the northbound lanes. He also asked for help over the C.B. radio, and someone told him to turn off the ignition key on the truck, which he did, police said.

Meanwhile, a nearby driver, Christopher Howard, saw the child steering the loaded truck and jumped into action, police said. Howard got out of his vehicle and ran after the now slow-moving truck, opening the driver's door and hitting the brakes until the semi stopped.

"I'm talking a little boy. I mean he could barely, I mean his head was just about the height of the truck bumper!" Lovo Jr. said.

"I couldn't believe that little boy was the one that drove that truck and stopped it because it was parked right along the side of the road," said Don Kelley, a witness.

The father and son were both taken to an area hospital for treatment while the truck suffered only minor damage, police said. Police did not say what medical emergency the father suffered.

Authorities congratulated the boy for his "bravery and cool demeanor in the face of this traumatic event." They also thanked Howard, saying his "calm response and quick actions combined into this heroic act that could very possibly have prevented damage to property, injuries or even loss of lives."

"It surprises me what he does, but you can not find a more proud father of what he did for me and the other people walking around," said Lovo Sr.

http://www.komotv.com/news/9049812.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

What a great story. The boy was smart enough to get on the right side of the road and use the cb to ask for help. Great Shirt the kid has on too.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)