Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush Declares DC Emergency for Inauguration

WTF???

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01 ... uguration/

President Bush on Tuesday declared an emergency in the District of Columbia that will let the nation's capital tap deeper into federal coffers for Barack Obama's inauguration.

Bush said that an emergency exists and ordered federal aid to supplement the $15 million in federal funds already appropriated for the event.

White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said District of Columbia Mayor Adrian M. Fenty requested the emergency declaration on Jan. 7 because he decided that the crowds expected for the nation's 56th presidential inauguration would exceed the city's ability to protect the public.

If the extra money is needed, it will come from the Federal Emergency and Management Agency budget, Stanzel said.

In a statement, the White House said the assistance is available to the district for emergency measures to protect public health and safety.

Fenty and others have said millions could descend on Washington for the inauguration.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Once in office he'll declare the same for mexifornia. The DC money will be like pennies compared to what mexifornia is going to get.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It gets more ridiculous every single day.

April

They started out with estimates of 4 million (5 million tops). Each estimate got lower since November. Maybe the ticket rationing through Congress to be close enough to actually watch the oath of office made people decide to stay home. Or the cost of travel as people who said Yes in November had to say No after the holidays and pink slips. Even locals who would only need to take public transportation into the District from suburbs are rethinking.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local- ... inionsbox1
    Is It Important to 'Be There' on Jan. 20?
    By Jong-on Hahm
    Potomac, Md.

On Election Day, as I watched the electoral map turn blue, I determined that this time, for the first time, I would attend a presidential inauguration. But since then, with each news story about inaugural preparations, the obstacles seemed to mount, while my capacity to overcome them dwindled. My initial plan was to go with my family (the children skipping school, if necessary). We'd drive to my office in Arlington and take the Metro. Then the crowd estimates came rolling in. Two, three, four million people. Twice the passengers on Metro's record ridership day. Four times the size of the National Mall's the biggest July 4 celebration. Road closures. Bridge closures. Walking for hours. Standing for hours. Recommendations against bringing children.

First to drop out was my husband. With his bad back, walking and standing more than a few minutes was out of the question. My younger daughter took offense at the no-kids edict. Upon hearing the crowd estimates, my elder daughter -- of the "I-love-humanity-it's-people-I-can't-stand" view -- told me to have fun.

I debated myself, imagining rush hour traffic magnified ten times. Then I started thinking: Like a wedding, an inauguration celebrates a new beginning. But just like marriage, a presidency is built one hard day at a time. The crashing economy, power struggles from the Middle East to D.C.'s Northeast, and the brutality of Washington politics could transform Obama from a man of easy confidence to one burdened with more than any human can bear.

I once saw an interview with Barbara Aaron, wife of the baseball legend Hank Aaron, the African American who broke Babe Ruth's home-run record. Even in the videotaped image, her eyes seemed to be tinted by the pain inflicted on her love. I wonder if Michelle Obama's eyes will look like that after Barack Obama's 1000th day in office. Will she look at the Mall, devoid of celebrators, and wonder if there is still support for her husband?

So I've come to a decision. I will join the millions around the world watching the inauguration of the 44th president of the United States on TV. And every day after will be a celebration of the Obama presidency.
    There are a lot of comments under that opinion piece, and they seem to be written by locals. Most seem to think that TV is the best seat possible, because the hype about preparing for the crowd makes them want to be part of the crowd even less.

Im down with seeing it on TV (until I have to excuse myself to puke). You couldn't get me there in person for nothing!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)