Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bush say US must boost competitiveness or lose jobs

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12393501/

Bush says U.S. must boost competitiveness
    Jobs in cutting-edge industries may go to India, China, president says

Updated: 6:09 p.m. ET April 19, 2006
    TUSKEGEE, Ala. - President Bush said Wednesday the nation needs to keep on the cutting edge in research in the face of growing competition over jobs and natural resources from India and China.

Bush singled out the world’s two most populous nations one day before Chinese President Hu Jintao’s scheduled visit to the White House. Bush noted that event and his recent trip to India.

“These countries are emerging nations,” Bush said in a speech at Tuskegee University. “They are growing rapidly and they provide competition for jobs and natural resources.

“As these new jobs of the 21st century come into being, people are going to hire people with the skills set,” he said. “And if our folks don’t have the skill set, those jobs are going to go somewhere else.”

Before his speech, Bush visited a lab at Tuskegee where students were researching nanotechnology. The science involves the manufacture and manipulation of materials at the molecular or atomic level.

The president also urged Congress to make permanent a popular tax credit for businesses that invest in research and development.

“It’s research that will keep the United States on the cutting edge,” Bush said.

Bush remarked that government-funded research contributed to the development of the iPod music player.

“I tune into the iPod occasionally,” the president said to laughter from the audience.

Critics said the president’s actions do not match his rhetoric on keeping America competitive. Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., said Bush has cut critical education and research programs.

“China, India and the rest of the world are playing for keeps, and we need more than half measures to keep up,” Kennedy said in a statement.

Before heading back to Washington, Bush met privately with the families of four members of the military who were killed in Iraq.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Compete against who?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They are going to have to show me why we need kid's take college classes in science, computers, etc...when they allow Bill Gates to give away jobs to foreign countries.

Washington better do something, cause our business' are giving away the bank to China and other countries....once they have our technology, and yes, some of our secrets....they will move against us...we will be so weakened.....
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

“These countries are emerging nations,” Bush said in a speech at Tuskegee University. “They are growing rapidly and they provide competition for jobs and natural resources.

“As these new jobs of the 21st century come into being, people are going to hire people with the skills set,” he said. “And if our folks don’t have the skill set, those jobs are going to go somewhere else.”
    if Congress didn't export jobs the American people WERE DOING, these countries wouldn't be growing so rapidly. If you call Bellsouth internet service you get INDIA! I can hardly understand what they are saying. Bellsouth is about the only telephone provider down here, but as soon as I get some other things taken care of, I think I'm seriously going to try to find another that is located in the SOUTH and not South of India.

and it's not that the American people don't have the "skill set" to do these jobs, the problem is Congress doesn't have the 'mind set' to provide employment for their own people
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

In short the moron in the dark house wants us to accept dirt wages so the fat cats like that a-hole from Exxon can continue to retire with a lavish bonus package of 400 million.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

if Congress didn't export jobs the American people WERE DOING, these countries wouldn't be growing so rapidly.
    Boy howdy! And at least ONE of them is shrinking rapidly while five thousand of their people sneak across our border every single day!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Ya...we had people doing the jobs but they sold out for cheap wages. They've dummied down the kids to where many can't give change or write a sentence without a computer spell check or a calculator. They can't decided what language people are supposed to speak and they're too busy playing the global stock markets to care what's happening right in front of their noses......but it's our fault.

Crazybird, I agree about the schools. We need more AMERICAN doctors. They're becoming a dying breed. People can't find American doctors anymore in my area.

I know that most people don't agree with this that I talk to but the reason we don't have any of those professionals anymore is because American kids can't afford college and the government helps the foreigners first.

You're making a good point, JJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast