I watched a few minutes of C-SPAN today, to see if the Senate or House was doing something constructive. I mean, illegal immigration, the war, Iran, terrorism...they all seem to make nice debate. Well, much to my ABSOLUTE dismay, when I turned on the House they were not debating ANYTHING. NOOOOOOO!!! They were talking about the upcoming Superbowl. They were discussing the Bears, Lovie Smith, and Tony Dungy. This is yet another time I have caught them discussing issues that have NOTHING to do with our nation's well-being.

Let me see, highlights from the first 100 or so hours of the new Dem House:

1. A minimum wage bill that was passed, and was tossed. The Senate will be using its own version.
2. American Samoa, the Virgin Islands, DC, Puerto Rico, and Guam were granted votes in the House, though they cannot be the deciding vote. This is unconstitutional.
3. The recognition of the BCS Champion Florida Gators.
4. The recognition of Boise St. in its bowl win.
5. A discussion on MLK's dream. Of course, the House is divided into a number of minority caucuses, not quite following King's dream.
6. A discussion on the Superbowl and its various participants.
7. The "bi-partisan" idea was thrown out the door as Repubs have all but been shown the door on just about every discussion. They have barely even been allowed to speak about amendments to bills presented by the other side.
8. Steny Hoyer, House Majority Leader, gave the old "nah-nah-nee-boo-boo" to the Repubs by asking them how they liked the feeling of being ignored. Of course, that made me refer back to all the statements about how the voters showed they wanted change on Nov 7. I guess, according to Hoyer, new House leadership, same old game.

In the Senate, I caught Senator Chambliss retracting his amendment to come down on farmers that hire illegals. Ted Kennedy and Dianne Feinstein praised Chambliss. Senators Craig and Feinstein then had a political lovefest discussing the AgJob Bill, which is a ripoff. It will encourage farmers to continue to contribute to our national border crisis by hiring illegals, as they always have. (Even the hispanic hero Cesar Chavez spoke out against illegals immigrant workers.) I have to buy a new television because I threw my shoe into the screen.

It looks like this will be a very LLLOOOOOOOOONGGGG two years!