Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cable TV racism

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Yo 'Moorian!

When you study outside of Euro-thought, then the truth will reveal itself!

Always remember that.

Good job on the research.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFomorian

Second, if we are only talking about television, then I'm sure you would not have a word to say if Academy Award Winner Denzel Washington were to play George Washington in a movie. I believe his acting skills could get the job done!
    I remember reading James Earl Jones played Shakespeare's King Lear once and did a great job. I've never heard a reviewer ever mention his race as detracting from his performance. I've always wanted to see that performance, but never have.
    por las chupacabras todo, fuero de las chupacabras nada

Great information Sam. So basically the scientists said up front that that can't be certain about skin tone, one of the major gripes of the video, but they can with certainty reconstruct facial features.
    My question now is on the highlighted text. Do they not think people have migrated thoughout the centuries? In my opinion, and not to discredit the
    scientists, but aren't they supposed to dig for the hard-to-answer- questions to complete their assertion that they are scientifically reconstructing King Tut? If I were to be reconstructed, shouldn't my skin tone play a very big part?
    I don't know Fomorian. I'm just posting what National Geographic said in its defense. I wonder if they picked the skin tone from the various Egyptian paintings in tombs and such? It seems like the skin tones/complexion I saw were pretty close to those of the Egyptian paintings I've seen.

Personally, I'm more worried about the black high school kid they're trying to railroad into a 20 year sentence for an assault case! The case was mentioned on Lou Dobbs show yesterday but I don't have the specifics. I think it's down South but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-I-am
    I remember reading James Earl Jones played Shakespeare's King Lear once and did a great job. I've never heard a reviewer ever mention his race as detracting from his performance. I've always wanted to see that performance, but never have.
    You are correct! And also Angelina Jolie starred in "A Mighty Heart".

It can be done but at what costs to the accuracy of
    National Geo's production that is not based on entertainment but rather education.

James Earl Jones playing a British King and Angelina Jolie on
    screen in full blackface is one thing, but in the realm of education,
    for National Geo to explicitly imply what the video charges is a function in miseducation.

By the way, your rational and ability to share ideas has indeed gained you one more friend.

Cheers, Sam!
    I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

I don't know Fomorian. I'm just posting what National Geographic said in its defense. I wonder if they picked the skin tone from the various Egyptian paintings in tombs and such? It seems like the skin tones/complexion I saw were pretty close to those of the Egyptian paintings I've seen.
    I sure am not smart enough to be a scientist but my sister is one, and I can tell you I've seen her work. The amount of fact checking and observation and testing is supposed to be air tight when they finish a project. I just cannot accept that Nationa Geo would theoretically wink at the obvious.

Personally, I'm more worried about the black high school kid they're trying to railroad into a 20 year sentence for an assault case! The case was mentioned on Lou Dobbs show yesterday but I don't have the specifics. I think it's down South but I'm not sure.
    I didn't see the show and I really don't know anything about the situation.

Give me some time and I'll look it up. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
    I freed thousands of slaves; I could have freed more if they knew they were slaves.
    --Harriet Tubman

You are correct! And also Angelina Jolie starred in "A Mighty Heart".

It can be done but at what costs to the accuracy of
    National Geo's production that is not based on entertainment but rather education.

James Earl Jones playing a British King and Angelina Jolie on
    screen in full blackface is one thing, but in the realm of education,
    for National Geo to explicitly imply what the video charges is a function in miseducation.

By the way, your rational and ability to share ideas has indeed gained you one more friend.

Cheers, Sam!
    That's good because I wouldn't want to make an enemy of your Avatar!

James Earl Jones is even better known for his performance of Othello.

That's good because I wouldn't want to make an enemy of your Avatar!
    Hahahahaha!
    I love the paradox of his nature. When he's not mad, he's a scientist and can think and interact with people very well. As soon as he gets angry, the show is over!
    Stay tuned for this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800080/
    See? Now that is believable! The storyline called for a Moor.
    --Harriet Tubman

See? Now that is believable! The storyline called for a Moor.
    Although I don't think there were many black stage actors available to play the part in Shakespeare's day, and probably not many actors of the caliber
    of James Earl Jones either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123