Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CALIFORNIA DECEPTION : VOTE NO ON PROP 93

Voter beware: Thanks to what the attorney general's office euphemistically calls a "transition period," Proposition 93 allows the clock to start anew for some 42 Sacramento incumbents. So while the AG's ballot summary says the measure "reduces the amount of time a person may serve in the state legislature from 14 years to 12 years," it actually would allow some lawmakers to serve as long as 16 years.

In case you haven't guessed it, that means Assembly Speaker Fabian Núñez and Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata, who were term-limited out at the end of this year, would be able to hold onto their seats for four more years, in the case of Perata, and six more years, in the case of Núñez.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 9UB836.DTL

Boy I am glad that I moved out of California

I listen to KSFO 560 AM most mornings and this is the first that I have heard of the Prop 93. And now I am glad that I have moved out of that state to AZ.
    BigMonkey

Sent this to my CA address book.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

PROP 93

LIMITS ON LEGISLATORS’ TERMS IN OFFICE.
    INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.

LIMITS ON LEGISLATORS’ TERMS IN OFFICE.
    INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.

Reduces the total amount of time a person may serve in the state legislature from 14 years to 12 years.

Allows a person to serve a total of 12 years either in the Assembly, the Senate, or a combination of both.

Provides a transition period to allow current members to serve a total of 12 consecutive years in the house in which they are currently serving, regardless of any prior service in another house.

SUMMARY OF LEGISLATIVE ANALYST'S ESTIMATE OF NET STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT FISCAL IMPACT:

This measure would have no direct fiscal effect on state or local governments.

http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/title_ ... e_sum.html

ARGUMENT AGAINST
    PROPOSITION 93

Proposition 93 is a scam that would actually lengthen politicians’ terms in office. It is intentionally deceptive because it claims to toughen term limits when it would in fact cripple term limits.

Proposition 93 is designed to trick voters and sabotage voter-approved term limits. It’s written by career politicians and funded by millions of dollars from special interests with business before the Legislature.

Look at the facts and decide for yourself:

Proposition 93 has a special loophole that benefits 42 incumbent politicians who are termed out by giving them more time in office. Some politicians will even be able to serve up to 20 years in office—just like before we passed term limits.

The initiative lengthens terms for politicians. It doubles Assembly terms from 6 years to 12 years and makes Senate terms 50% longer—increasing them from 8 years to 12 years.

Proposition 93 will dramatically increase terms for more than 80% of state legislators. Politicians will have more time to develop cozy relationships with lobbyists.

That’s why Proposition 93 is funded by millions of dollars from major special interests with business before the Legislature, including developers, energy companies, gambling interests, large insurance companies, and trial lawyers.

In order to uphold the will of the voters and save California’s term limits, vote NO on Proposition 93.

http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/argu_r ... utt93.html