Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Candy Canes made in Mexico?

I know this sounds kind of crazy and trivial, but I like Peppermint Candy Canes...At Christmas time I use to look for them in the store, but unfortunately over the the last several years I have found most all the brands are now made in Mexico. I have given up most Easter candy because it's now made in Mexico... Oh well, I guess I didn't need all that candy anyway!

A lot of food companies these days only put on their packages: distributed by this US based company. Product of USA is only viable if it is fresh fruit or veggy, while with products that include many ingredients can advertise they were made in USA, but who the pudding knows where all those ingredients could come from.
    Buying an iron recently, the only thing the box would tell me was the box was printed in USA.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have an elderly neighbor who loves the old fashioned ribbon candy and have ordered them for years from Hammond's Candies in Denver.

http://www.hammondscandies.com/christmas-candy-c-4.html
    Made in the U.S.A.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

I was in Albertson's gorcery store a few weeks ago to pick up some green onions so we could make enchiladas. In thier produce dept. they have signs that say "Product of" and the only green onions they had were Product of Mexico. I asked the produce guy if it was possible to get USA grown onions and I was told that was all they had. At check out when asked if I fould everything ok, I said "no. I was looking for USA grown green onions." The cashier didin't know what to say.

You're right Molly. Almost all Peppermint candy is now imported from Mexico.

How to Make Peppermint Candy
    By eHow Food & Drink Editor

Not a project for children. Caution! Hot sugar can burn you.

Instructions
    Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You’ll Need:

powdered sugar
    1 c. granulated sugar
    1 c. light corn syrup
    1 c. water
    1/2 tsp. peppermint oil

Groceries
    Candy Thermometer
    Cookie Sheets
    Kitchen Shears
    Measuring Cups
    Measuring Spoons
    Saucepans
    Saucepans
    Cookie sheets
    Measuring cups

Step1 Sprinkle a thick coat of powdered sugar on a cookie sheet.
    Step2 Combine the granulated sugar, light corn syrup and water in a heavy saucepan.
    Step3 Cook over medium-high heat until the hard-crack stage on a candy thermometer.
    Step4 Remove from heat.
    Step5 Add the peppermint oil.
    Step6 Stir well.
    Step7 Pour onto the cookie sheet.
    Step8 Sprinkle with more powdered sugar.
    Step9 Cut with kitchen shears as soon as cool enough to handle.
    Step10 Store in an airtight container or freezer bag.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8520_make-peppermint-candy.html

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina
    I have an elderly neighbor who loves the old fashioned ribbon candy and have ordered them for years from Hammond's Candies in Denver.

Made in the U.S.A.

I was just going to suggest Hammonds!!!

They are one of the few last remaining companies which hasn't sold out their loyal American customers!

Hammond (from their site)

Their Menu:

Christmas Candy

Holiday Gift Guide

Candy Canes

Hannukah Candies

Lollipops

Marshmallow & Caramel

All Natural Candy

Chocolate

Everyday Candy

Ribbon Candy

Shop by Holiday

Wrapped Hard Candies

History:

ABOUT US
    Hammond’s Candy Factory was started in 1920 by Mr. Carl T. Hammond, Sr. His first factory was located in the Platte River Valley (near the current REI building). In 1948, Hammond’s Candy Factory moved to 29th & Bryant in North Denver. Carl, Sr. retired in 1960 and his son and daughter-in-law, Tom (Carl, Jr.) & June Hammond, ran the factory. Tom passed away in 1985 and the business was left in the hands of June and their son-in-law, Emery Dorsey. In 1997, June sold the company to 3 shareholders. Unfortunately, there are no Hammond’s family members working for the factory today but there are employees that have been with the company since the early 1980s! In 1999, Hammond’s Candies moved to a larger factory at 4969 Colorado Blvd where they were able to increase production and start giving factory tours. However, they outgrew that facility in just 5 years and moved to their current location at 5735 Washington Street in the summer of 2004.

Over the last 86 years, the "Mile-high" city of Denver, Colorado has seen a number of fine chocolate and candy manufacturers come and go. But the candy company founded by Carl T. Hammond, Sr, in 1920 is one that is still very much in business.

At Hammond's Candies® today, we still make candy the way Carl Hammond made it, with the same tempting recipes and the same careful craftsmanship. Toffee is still dipped in rich chocolate and hand-rolled in crunchy almonds. And hard candy is still hand-pulled to extra-shine. Yet, even with all that handwork, we still make and offer hundreds of different candies. Chocolates and creamy caramels fill our showcases, along with brittles, lollipops, candy canes, and much, much, more. Admittedly, that's a lot of variety for one small company. But as Carl Hammond taught us, it's more interesting, and more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by miguelina

Made in the U.S.A.
    Thanks for posting this store. It is really sad when we cant buy candies made in the USA anymore.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

As a result of Americas sugar interest which includes farm owners in Florida, Louisiana, Hawaii, Texas and the Midwest the United States has much higher sugar porices than Mexico. A lot of the hard candy industry including famous brand names have migrated to whjere sugar and labor are both cheaper. The quality of Mexican candy is not defoicient so I would not worry about it.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)