Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

CAPITOL FLAG POLICY ASSAILED

(quote)

Article published Oct 6, 2007
    Capitol flag policy assailed

October 6, 2007

By Audrey Hudson - A group of Republican lawmakers is demanding the architect of the U.S. Capitol reverse a policy that bans the use of the word "God" on flag certificates sent to constituents.

Rep. Michael R. Turner of Ohio said one of his constituents, Paul Larochelle, recently requested to receive a flag that had flown over the Capitol. Mr. Larochelle's son had hoped to present the flag and the accompanying certificate to his grandfather, an Army veteran.

The Larochelles wanted the certificate's inscription to read, in part: "In honor of my grandfather, Marcel Larochelle, and his dedication and love of God, country and family." However, when the flag and the certificate arrived at Mr. Turner's office from the architect of the U.S. Capitol's office, which handles the Capitol flag program, the word "God" had been eliminated.

Mr. Turner said he requested an explanation from the architect's office, which cited one of its 14 Flag Office Services rules. The rule states, "... religious expressions are not permitted on flag certificates."

Mr. Turner — along with fellow Republican Reps. Steve King of Iowa, Marilyn Musgrave of Colorado, Randy Neugebauer of Texas and Steve Pearce of New Mexico — complained in a letter this week to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that the architect's office had "informed several congressional offices that the use of the word 'God' violates the rule."

"This is an abuse of power, plain and simple," Mr. Neugebauer said. "Using the nonpartisan position of maintaining the Capitol to decide what citizens can have written on their flag certificates is unacceptable."

Stephen T. Ayers has been acting architect of the U.S. Capitol since February, when his predecessor, Alan M. Hantman, retired. Mr. Ayers' spokeswoman was unavailable for comment yesterday.

The lawmakers are asking Mrs. Pelosi, California Democrat, to review the authority under which the architect's office made the rules and that the policy "which censors our citizens' right to expressions of their faith" be reversed.

They also point out that as the custodian of the Capitol, the architect is responsible for a building inscribed with many religious references, including "In God We Trust" in the House and Senate chambers.

"The architect's policy is in direct conflict with his charge as well as the scope of his office and brings into question his ability to preserve a building containing many national religious symbols," the lawmakers stated.

A spokesman for Mrs. Pelosi said a Democratic proposal may help solve the problem.

The proposal would have the architect certify that the flag was flown, and then a member of Congress could add the constituent's message separately, Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly said.

"It will be resolved in the near future," he said.

Lawmakers receive more than 100,000 requests from constituents each year for flags that have flown over the Capitol.

(quote)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/ ... 60042/1001

Psalm 91
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    I have a split decision with this... I never did in the past and actually thought it was a good thing. My problem with the church is that it is over steping it's bounds as far as politics and the seperation of church and state.

BY THE WAY ... AS A CHRISTIAN, I AM 110% FOR THE REMOVAL OF TAX EXEPT STATUS FOR ANY CHURCH THAT MEDDLES IN POLITICS

But we were founded on Judao christian beliefs and "God" should not be removed from any documents or anything to do with the government
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I AM AN AGNOSTIC. THE MENTION OF "GOD" ON DOCUMENTS DOES NOT BOTHER ME, AND NEVER HAS. WHAT DOES BOTHER ME IS ANY CHURCH INVOLVMENT IN POLITICS. RELIGION DOES NOT BELONG IN POLITICS. ALSO I HAVE NEVER AGREED WITH THE TAX EXEMPT STATUS OF CHURCHES. EVERYONE SHOULD CONTRIBUTE. THE REST OF US HAVE TO....EVEN THE POOR DO THROUGH SALES TAX. I THINK CHURCHES SHOULD BE CONTRIBUTING TO THE TAX FUND. AND CHURCHES SHOULD BE BANNED FROM PARTICIPATING IN POLITICS. THEY SHOULD STICK TO RELIGION.