Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Chicago Holds Off on Pet-Chicken Ban

Chicago Holds Off on Pet-Chicken Ban
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:30 PM

CHICAGO -- The City Council had been scheduled to vote on a proposed ban on pet chickens Wednesday, but officials decided to sit on it a while longer.

The measure is headed back to a council committee so aldermen can further discuss what to do about the birds, which are part of a growing organic food trend in Chicago and other cities. Alderman Lona Lane said she didn't know the details about the issues holding up the vote.

Lane, who proposed the ban, said the problems with chickens include noise, smells, and droppings that are a feast for rodents. The city has received more than 700 complaints about chickens this year _ mostly about the racket from roosters.

Chicken lovers say the birds make great pets, don't take up much backyard space and provide tasty, nutritious eggs.

http://www.newsmax.com/us/pet_chickens_ ... 56551.html

You cant tell me this doesnt have south of the border flavor to it. We are not talking rural stuff. This is in the cities as well as the suburbs
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

And in CHICAGO the chickens can vote
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I see nothing wrong with having chickens if you have a chicken coop and enough space. AND YOU KEEP IT CLEAN AND UP TO STANDARDS. and my last comment is probably why they need to be banned in some areas.

This is ridiculous! Even my small town of 3,000 has an ordinance against chickens (or any other farm type animal) inside the borough limits.

Our little town has a pet limit of 6 per household. I have never asked about chickens.

I will say this, just recently I have gotten new neighbors. One is a couple who bought the home, and 3 other houses are renters. Each one has 2 big dogs. If you want to talk noise and smell, I'd prefer they had a half dozen chickens a piece than those dogs. They never clean the yard, I know this summer it is going to be unbearable - and they bark all the time.

Roosters don't make nearly that much noise.

Do you have a Dept of Health? Report them.

Why an exception for chickens? I remember years ago, some immigrants were raising goats and they were banned.
    "

NoCitizen As far as I know we don't have one - if we do it is in name only.

I'm just hoping the renters may move - as they come, and go. Next door, the man is gone to Iraq.O ne of their dogs was gone somewhere and they brought it home when he left for Iraq. So I want him to come home quickly. First, because I want him home safely, second I'm hoping they will farm the dog out again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpasz
    And in CHICAGO the chickens can vote
    Only if they register Democratic, Jim...