Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Companies are posting jobs, how come people aren't applying?

Companies are posting jobs, how come people aren't applying?

Posted: 8:57 PM
    By: Christina Boomer

PHOENIX - Some Valley business owners are scratching their heads.

They don't understand why more people aren't applying for their jobs even though the unemployment rate hovers at 9.7 percent.

Take Glenn Fahringer, owner of Earth Care , a landscaping company in Cave Creek.

“The biggest challenge we've been having is hiring qualified people,â€
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Very aggravating.

Re: Companies are posting jobs, how come people aren't apply

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    How easy is it to find work?

I went to the strip mall near ABC15’s studios at 44th Street and Thomas Road in Phoenix.

I walked into nearly every store to discover most of them are hiring.

Target, Ross and Costco all told me they are offering several part time jobs right now.

These are seasonal jobs that often come as we approach the holidays.

Employment experts in the past have explained that for some workers, a seasonal gig can turn into a full time position depending on the needs of the company.

Sears also had seasonal jobs available, 25 of them.

Famous Footwear, OfficeMax and Petco also have open positions.
    It is very difficult to support a family on these minimum wage jobs. Great maybe for high school or college kids, or someone who just wants to supplement their income. Notice also that many of these were PART-TIME. That means no benefits for people with families and not enough hours to make a difference!!

HOWEVER, many would be thrilled to have one of these jobs, my husband and son included!

[quote]
    But, barring a few exceptions, DES Spokesman Meissner said if you are collecting unemployment, you cannot decline full-time, even part-time work.

“It's supposed to be a bridge until you get your next job but if you are collecting unemployment benefits you don't deserve and you know it that's fraud. If you are using it in any other way you are not using it properly.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

RELATED

Companies That Give Benefits to Part-Timers

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-213465-part.html+jobs
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

One of the biggest problems is that taking a seasonal job will "reset" your unemployment scale. Your unemployment is based on wages you made in the last 4 quarters (or is it 8 quarters?), so if you were making $800 per week full time, your unemployment benefits are higher than if you were making $300/week.

Taking that seasonal job will reduce your unemployment compensation once the job is over. It's not worth it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Border Patrol is hiring

(and it pays better than a lot of jobs.)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/cust ... proces.xml
    NO AMNESTY

And they are not telling you everything here either.

I have been looking since last year and I put many apps in and never hear back or they say I do not have the qualifications. And this even in lower paying jobs. My problem is THAT I AM an OLDER MAN. They are NOT taking older people from the age of 50 and up in many cases.

And this was verified by my ncesc representative just yesterday. But they will not just come out and say that since they would be liable for discrimination.

Even for a job in retail I run across their first question:have you ever worked retail"? When I answer "no" to it it stops your application process. Or if it does go through they send a message back you do not have the qualifications. COME ONE! Stocking shelves in a damn grocery store?
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by uniteasone
    And they are not telling you everything here either.

I have been looking since last year and I put many apps in and never hear back or they say I do not have the qualifications. And this even in lower paying jobs. My problem is THAT I AM an OLDER MAN. They are NOT taking older people from the age of 50 and up in many cases.

And this was verified by my ncesc representative just yesterday. But they will not just come out and say that since they would be liable for discrimination.

Even for a job in retail I run across their first question:have you ever worked retail"? When I answer "no" to it it stops your application process. Or if it does go through they send a message back you do not have the qualifications. COME ONE! Stocking shelves in a damn grocery store?
    You have made an excellent point. Some of the lower paying jobs can be done by anyone with very little training on the part of the employer. But the employers just want people who are experienced in the job they offer. So then they complain. Why not just train someone to do the job? I can see a more complicated job....it might not be cost effective to train someone. But...give me a break....who cant learn to stock a shelf or run a cash register? Even the coffee shops want experienced people. Who cant learn to make a cup of coffee fgs. All the restaurant jobs want experience...even for table bussers. WHO CANT CLEAN A TABLE? So when they run an ad that says they want someone experienced then there are hoardes of people not applying for the job because of the way the ad is worded.