Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Confiscation Is The Unspoken Goal Of Mayors Against Illegal Guns

Mayor And Former Member: Confiscation Is The Unspoken Goal Of Mayors Against Illegal Guns

February 6, 2014 by Ben Bullard

John Tkazyik, the mayor of Poughkeepsie, New York, is a lifetime member of the NRA. For a time, he was also a willing member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns – the Michael Bloomberg-founded gun control group that lobbies for legislative action to limit 2nd Amendment rights Nationwide.
    Tkazyik ended his relationship with MAIG after coming to a sobering realization: the group isn’t simply trying to keep guns out of the hands of known violent criminals; it’s trying to take them away from law-abiding citizens by relying on fear tactics.
    In a Wednesday column in the Poughkeepsie Journal, Tkazyik explained how he came to that conclusion:
    I’m the mayor of one of the largest cities in the Hudson Valley, just 90 minutes north of New York City. I’m a life member of the National Rifle Association and a former member of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, or MAIG, started by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2006.
    I’m no longer a member of MAIG. Why? Just as Ronald Reagan said of the Democratic Party, it left me. And I’m not alone: Nearly 50 pro-Second Amendment mayors have left the organization. They left for the same reason I did. MAIG became a vehicle for Bloomberg to promote his personal gun-control agenda — violating the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens and taking resources away from initiatives that could actually work to protect our neighborhoods and save precious lives.
    …It did not take long to realize that MAIG’s agenda was much more than ridding felons of illegal guns; that under the guise of helping mayors facing a crime and drug epidemic, MAIG intended to promote confiscation of guns from law-abiding citizens. I don’t believe, never have believed and never will believe that public safety is enhanced by encroaching on our right to bear arms, and I will not be a part of any organization that does.
    Tkazyik also acknowledges, through the tone of his writing, that he understands a fundamental truth Bloomberg’s organization works against every time it illogically argues that a preponderance of firearms makes America less safe – an armed society is a civil society.
    That’s an inconvenient truth indeed for a group that must sell a vision of chaos to a public it would seek to disarm.

Filed Under: Liberty News, Staff Reports

http://personalliberty.com/2014/02/0...-illegal-guns/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    Now I call that a piece of work!!!!!

Banned
    February 17, 2014 The Second Amendment Reaffirmed

Edward H. Stewart, Jr.
    The 9th Circuit has given us a take-no-prisoners affirmation of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. In an opinion by Reagan appointee Diarmuid O'Scannlain, the court flatly rejected the progressive "pretense" of using the regulatory state as a weapon against the Constitution, declaring that a right has not been regulated for the greater good but effectively "destroyed when exercise of the right is limited to a few people, in a few places, at a few times."
    The San Diego County concealed carry law did just that. Not even a model citizen trained in the use of handguns could be granted a permit unless he was also be a "special case,"someone outside the "mainstream." In short, a member of a privileged elite. This regulatory scheme trashed the Second Amendment right to self-defense because, as O'Scannlain wryly observes, "a typical citizen fearing for his personal safety -- by definition -- cannot distinguish himself from the mainstream." (original emphasis)
    Following the Supreme Court's lead in District of Columbia v. Heller, the 2008 decision overturning the Washington, D.C. gun ban, O'Scannlain does what the left hates and fears most: places the right guaranteed by the Second Amendment front and center; clarifies its meaning by a review of its history; and insists that it is the right itself that is paramount (original emphasis, internal references omitted, page reference in brackets):
    Heller clarifies that the keeping and bearing of arms is, and has always been, an individual right. Second, the right is, and has always been, oriented to the end of self-defense. Any contrary interpretation of the right, whether propounded in 1791 or just last week, is error. [21]
    [I]f self-defense outside the home is part of the core right to "bear arms" and the California regulatory scheme prohibits the exercise of that right, no amount ofinterest-balancing under a heightened form of means-ends scrutiny can justify San Diego County's policy. The very enumeration of the right takes out of the hands of government... the power to decide on a case-by-case basis whether the right is really worth insisting upon.[49]
    [T]he question is not whether the California scheme . . . allows some people to bear arms outside the home in some places at some times; instead, the question is whether it allows the typical responsible, law-abiding citizen to bear arms in public for the lawful purpose of self-defense. The answer to the latter question is a resounding "no."[53]
    To be clear, we are not holding that the Second Amendment requires the states to permit concealed carry. But the Second Amendment does require that the states permit some form of carry for self-defense outside the home. [61]
    This is not, as the left will certainly scream, an "extremist" opinion. It simply rejects the John Paul Stevens defense of unconstitutional regulatory schemes: switch focus from the Constitution to the greater good and nitpick individual liberty to death.
    Mr. Stewart is a freelance writer living in Austin, Texas. He is writing a book on the establishment clause and welcomes feedback at edward.stewart27@yahoo.com.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...#ixzz2tgQJWvWz
    Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook