Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Court terminates 8-year-old girl's marriage

Court terminates 8-year-old girl's marriage
    Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:21pm EDT Page| Recommend (0) [-] Text [+]
    SANAA (Reuters) - A Yemeni court ordered the marriage of an eight-year-old girl terminated on Tuesday because she had not reached puberty.

The court also ordered the child's family to pay about $250 in compensation to the 30-year-old ex-husband.

The girl's lawyer and human rights activist Shatha Nasser said the minor had filed a suit in April asking for divorce and told the court that her husband had been physically abusing her and forcing her to have "sex with him after hitting her."

One of the people attending the trial volunteered to pay the compensation, the lawyer said, but did not explain the reason why the court ordered the compensation.

The ruling terminated the marriage instead of granting a divorce to prevent the husband from seeking to reinstate the marriage, according to the lawyer.

Many minor girls in Arab countries that observe tribal traditions are married to older husbands but not before puberty. Such marriages are also driven by poverty in countries like Yemen, one of the poorest countries outside Africa.

(Reporting by Mohamed Sudam; writing by Inal Ersan)

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEno ... EnoughNews
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The court also ordered the child's family to pay about $250 in compensation to the 30-year-old ex-husband.
    I thought they were poor and that's why they originally sold the girl into marriage?
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

I can't even imagine being 8 and forced into something like that.....I don't care how poor and desperate we were....my parents would never sell me into something like that. Makes me ill thinking of that.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Indiana....

One of the people attending the trial volunteered to pay the compensation, the lawyer said, but did not explain the reason why the court ordered the compensation.
    What good is it since shes useless and not marraige material now? Used goods.

What a culture.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    I can't even imagine being 8 and forced into something like that.....I don't care how poor and desperate we were....my parents would never sell me into something like that. Makes me ill thinking of that.
    Ever read the book called "Princess Sultana"? I highly recommend it. The Saudi boys and men buy peasants children as young as 4 and they have a couple of friends over too. Later they drop the kid back at the house. It's also for money... After that the kid is of no good because she is not a virgin. T

The daily life of the prince is a hell of a lot better than the women, even if they are princesses.
    There was also the harvesting of organ of the poor people.They would be kidnapped and wake up inthe driveway after having some part removed......
    Then Bush goes over in the Gulf War to priotect those animals?
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

If this is a silly question, then so be it...what (in thier mind) determines "puberty"??? A first period, pubic hair, able to impregnate?

What do you give an 8 year old bride for a wedding present? a Barbie ?

MW
    WorriedAmerican wrote:

Then Bush goes over in the Gulf War to priotect those animals?
    The purpose of the Gulf War was to stop the Iraq invasion of Kuwait, not protect Yemen.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    WorriedAmerican wrote:

Then Bush goes over in the Gulf War to protect those animals?
    The purpose of the Gulf War was to stop the Iraq invasion of Kuwait, not protect Yemen.
    I don't know anything about Yemen? I just think in order for us to "protect" Kuwait, we should NOT have followed their degredation of women. Old Bush should have acted less like a coward, and at least talked about womens rights. Oh, but oil was the thing, the hell with the women....
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris