Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Dem Leader: Has Committee Votes To Block Health Bill

By Martin Vaughan, Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

WASHINGTON -(Dow Jones)- U.S. Rep. Mike Ross, D-Ark., a leader of fiscally conservative House Democrats, said Wednesday a House plan to overhaul the U.S. health-care system is losing support and will be stuck in committee without changes.

"Last time I checked, it takes seven Democrats to stop a bill in the Energy and Commerce Committee," Ross told reporters after a House vote. "We had seven against it last Friday; we have 10 today."

Three House committees are slated to begin considering the $1 trillion-plus bill this week, but the Energy and Commerce looms as the biggest challenge. That's because it counts among its 36 Democratic members seven members of the Blue Dog Coalition, a fiscally conservative bloc that is opposing the House Democrats' effort.

Ross said the bill, introduced Wednesday by House Democratic leaders, doesn't include provisions adequate to curb rising health care costs, including what the government spends on healthcare.

"The current bill would have to be substantially amended before we could consider supporting it," Ross said.

The Energy and Commerce panel is scheduled to meet Thursday afternoon to kick off its review of the legislation, but its session is expected to stretch into late next week.

Ross said Blue Dogs have been meeting every day to craft amendments that will be offered during that meeting, but offered no details on what those amendments are. He said those amendments could number in the dozens.

Ross said he expects Blue Dogs will meet with the panel's chairman, Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., soon to discuss their specific proposed changes.

-By Martin Vaughan, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-9244; martin.vaughan@ dowjones.com

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market ... ealth-bill
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

I never could understand the rush to get these major bills through. Bush's gang did that often enough, and I am glad the Dems are waking up to the possibility that there are plenty of loopholes they haven't had time to read or consider.
    Addressing the costs of healthcare is of utmost importance. With no insurance, why do my BP pills, that I have been on for years, keep costing more every year? Perhaps to pay for ads to promote the newest drug find, give doctors' offices free pens. etc.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    I never could understand the rush to get these major bills through. Bush's gang did that often enough, and I am glad the Dems are waking up to the possibility that there are plenty of loopholes they haven't had time to read or consider.
    Addressing the costs of healthcare is of utmost importance. With no insurance, why do my BP pills, that I have been on for years, keep costing more every year? Perhaps to pay for ads to promote the newest drug find, give doctors' offices free pens. etc.
    Believe me , Gov run health care is not the answer.

Especially when they say that your extent of care will be based on your age....I am old....and that means NO tests....NO medical procedures....just accept it and die..... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    The difference between an immigrant and an illegal alien is the equivalent of the difference between a burglar and a houseguest. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    They keep going up to pay lobbyists that used to be members of congress their obsorbatant salaries that increase drug companies profits and the cycle repeats.
    Never give up! Never surrender! Never compromise your values!*
    __________________________________________________ __

NO MORE ROTHSCHILD STOOGES IN PUBLIC OFFICE!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)