Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Detroit Ave Home $18,513 - Unemployment Rate 21%

Average home price $18,513 - Unemployment rate 21%

December 21, 2008

The Great Depression has reached Detroit. The average price of a home is now $18,513 and unemployment has reached 21%, and it’s expected to get worse. Detroit is facing a crisis of epic proportions that officially puts Detroit statistically (and real term) on par with the great depression. Many readers of Tribble Ad Agency are advertising centric.. and due to the rash of layoffs within all Detroit Advertising firms has put the city on the map for the wrong reasons.

It has become the center of all that is wrong with America… and nothing of what is right.

For example, the crime rate has fallen…. because of lack of targets within the city. Meaning there is nothing left to steal. In fact, even the criminals don’t want to leave jail.

Heard confirmed that some offenders, notably those without homes of their own, were now expressing reluctance to leave jail when their sentences were done.

Home values have plummeted to levels not seen in 1/2 a century… and the 21% unemployment has in some cases been projected to double within 12 months if the auto industry totally collapses.

To make matters even worse, Detroit has superseded New Orleans as the “worst cityâ€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Detroit's been on it's way to this for many years. It's been overrun with crime and corruption. There are areas that look like a war zone and where even the police won't venture. There used to be T-Shirts sold that said "Detroit....where the weak are killed and eaten". It looks like the prey has grown scarce and it's turning on itself. I lived most of my life 20 miles from the city. I hated going there, especially when I worked there. I hated even driving through it. It's very sad, I've seen pictures and read of a time when it was pretty grand......but that was long ago.

My family has a long history there, since the early 1800's. So as bad as it is, the area is in my blood and my heart. My people are buried there. Maybe, God willing this will be the catalyst to work hard to rebuild Detroit and make it grand once again.

In a couple weeks that's where I'm headed. 7 Mile and Hoover. I have no real choice though. I'm using the last of my savings to get there as that's where my surviving family is. I have my uncle convinced now that when gram's estate is done to get a place up by Lapeer or Port Huron, in the rural are with a good ammount of wooded are so if things get bad enough, I can easily put small game and venison on the table. I'm a crack archer, good to 80 yards with a recurve bow.

Ever since the riots of the 60s it's been a downhill slide. My mom's old neighborhood in Hamtramack is nothing more than slums and squatters anymore for the most part. Many of the old homes have been bulldozed and the property left vacant. And because of all the bulldozing of homes and other buildings, it has created greenbelts in the city where ducks and geese flock to avoid the hunters in the marshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
    In a couple weeks that's where I'm headed. 7 Mile and Hoover. I have no real choice though. I'm using the last of my savings to get there as that's where my surviving family is. I have my uncle convinced now that when gram's estate is done to get a place up by Lapeer or Port Huron, in the rural are with a good ammount of wooded are so if things get bad enough, I can easily put small game and venison on the table. I'm a crack archer, good to 80 yards with a recurve bow.

Ever since the riots of the 60s it's been a downhill slide. My mom's old neighborhood in Hamtramack is nothing more than slums and squatters anymore for the most part. Many of the old homes have been bulldozed and the property left vacant. And because of all the bulldozing of homes and other buildings, it has created greenbelts in the city where ducks and geese flock to avoid the hunters in the marshes.
    Good luck to you Hylander_1314, maybe this is a sign of things to come. There's been an exodus out of the Detroit area. I'm sure that will continue for many, especially from the city. But maybe many who have left years ago will return to family there as you are. And hopefully make it a nice home once again. True Michigan folks are a hearty bunch, hunters and sportsmen. You're just the kind of person it needs to have come home.

Yeah we were part of the "white flight" of the 70s. Actually though, I would have preferred somewhere like Algonac or Marine City myself. Colorado is a nice place, but I'm not really a mountain man. I'm more the mariner type. Ya know, during the cold spring and fall months, with ice in the facial hair.

I really don't want to go back this way, but it is more necessity than desire. I would have preferred a job waiting, or luck woth the powerball. Not down to my last penny with nowhere else to go. It's funny, as my uncle was predicting this economic pitfall back 30 years ago and watched it unfold as he he warned it would all along, so at least he has some moxy about to get along in this mess. And if needbe, my daughter can come stay with us.

Yep the good hearty folks are what's needed. It is too bad about Detroit. Even the bad parts of Denver look better than the old neighborhood I grew up in. My uncle finally decided it was time to leave when he came home in the afternoon a couple months back and found someone had tried to remove the utility box from the house to steal the copper. So he has a few places up north he wants me to look at to see if they are worth investing in. Price is also going to be interesting as realtors are only willing to give about 5k at most for the old house. But even the other properties like the waterfront homes aren't fetching a very good price either, so maybe I can help find one so I have good fishing access too. Between hunting and fishing, I should be able to keep well stocked with food. At least fish and game.

Good Luck Hylander, hope all works out great for you and you have internet service so you can stay involved at alipac, we need you!!

but most of all I hope everything works out for you, I think it is a smart move as food may be hard to put on the table before this is all over with.
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

My uncle has internet service, but I will need to build him a new computer as his is an old 550mhz pentium, aka 10 year old tech. So I put a list of parts together for him so he can see the cost of a custom home built media center rig for around $800.00. And that includes dolby 7.1 surround sound speakers too. He likes the old railroads and there are so many shows you can watch online that are historical.

But as the next week boils down, I may not be around much other than wishing a Happy New Year for everyone. Not being anti-social, just get everything ready to move. Boxing up books, and personals. No furnature though, The grandparents bought all new stuff back in 2000 so it's less than 10 years old. Just tryin' to keep it as simple as possible too.

I did the same thing a few years ago, after being thoroughly disgusted with Fla. While I could not find work, my house skyrocketed in value and my 85-year-old mother was living in a tiny apartment in an independent living facility and paying nearly $3,000 a month to be provided with food that one could barely eat, and recreation directors that were an insult to the elderly.
    I finally flipped, when one day after mom had gotten back from the grocery, laid down to take a nap and some guy got into the apartment with a pass key, taking the food still on the counter. Management's reaction was to send a manager to help her search for the things "she misplaced" and the search went through every drawer in her bedroom, the closets. etc. I would not be surprised if she even did not check under the couch.
    It was time to get out. I bought a house in NC and a few months later we were gone. It has worked out well after nearly 40 years of living apart. I have the feeling this is the way the American family will be heading. It didn't make sense for her to pay that much or for me to pay taxes and insurances on a house when I was unemployed.
    Good luck, and I am sure you will be a boon to the city.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Have a safe trip Hylander_1314! Pop in here as often as you can and let us know how things are going. Come back full steam as soon as you can huh?

Ditto to what cvangel said...moving sucks but I'm sure you will be happy when its all over. Let us know if you can that you made it safe and all is well.

Glad all worked out for you Vortex
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast