Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hylander_1314, Best of luck to you. You will be very close to the airport. I would look at Traverse City too. I know it's not cheap, but great wilderness. Also Grayling isn't too bad.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504
    Hylander_1314, Best of luck to you. You will be very close to the airport. I would look at Traverse City too. I know it's not cheap, but great wilderness. Also Grayling isn't too bad.
    Yep Traverse City would be nice, but if I'm going back to place of origin, I really don't want to be too far from all my aunts and uncles. They are cloing in on 60, and like my dad, I'm the only one in the family who knows how to fix cars, do major landscaping, and extensive home repair, so I want to be close enough to be able to help them all out. One of my ants already has about a month's work ready for me when I get there redoing the kitchen, / dining area as she wants a half wall behind the stove, to open up the area and a proper exhsut fan for the range that runs up and vents out the roof. Also since I know tile work, as long as their son, (my younger cousin) helps I will retile the who kitchen area for her. Of course my uncle just rolls his eyes going ohhhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyy...........

Hunting up north is real good, but for fishing purposes, I know the St. Claire River, and the islands and little bays and coves on the north side of Lake St. Claire where the two river channels flow into the lake on the way to the Detroit River. I know where to get huge perch and sunfish, and the pike, and muskie also frequent the area, and good largemouth bass in a quiet cove that is covered annually with lillypads, and a deep gravel botttom section of the river where the smallies are like footballs. Talkin' to my uncle yesterday, and the property up north he said will be a good place for me to build a smoke house so I can cure smoked meats and fish. Plus it has nice ground for gardening. So I can do like I did with gramps in the old days, and plant the cold weather spring crops, and when they are ready for picking and freezing and canning, I can plant the summer crops, and keep the ground well fertilized with fish and game entrails. Except for what needs to be had fresh like lettuce, spinache and tomatoes. I'll have to dig out and make a root cellar so I can make saurkraut and not stink up the house. A few apple plum and cherry trees, and berry bushes, and I'll be all set for covering the basics, and if things get tough enough, I'll have things to trade for dairy and grain produce. And I'm also an experienced woodsman. I used to split more wood by hand than a mechanical log splitter could. Don't think I can still do that anymore, but I could at one time.

I paid attention to the Amish when I lived in Pennsylvania. Very smart folks they are. So as long as I have an axe, a saw, and a logjack, I'm good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12