Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Donald Trump: I won't do anything to help Barack Obama

Donald Trump: I won't do anything to help Barack Obama

12:19 AM, Apr. 21, 2011 | 70Comments

Written by
    JENNIFER JACOBS

New York businessman Donald Trump vowed Wednesday that he won't do anything that would help President Barack Obama get re-elected - even if that means sitting out of the 2012 election himself.

"I will not do anything to enhance the chances of Barack Obama being president, and that includes running as an independent," he said by telephone.

Trump, a reality TV show host and real estate mogul, said he's not ruling out an independent bid if he were to fail to secure the Republican nomination, but he'd pursue it only if he were guaranteed to win.

"So the only way I would run as an independent would be if the polls show I couldn't lose," he said. "But even that scares me, because anything can happen."

Some Iowa Republicans grew worried when they heard Trump say earlier this month that he'd consider running anyway if the Republicans don't choose him as their candidate.

Rick Halvorsen, chairman of the Warren County Republicans, said: "There's some in our fold that are a little nervous he'll split the vote and hand the vote to Barack Obama. He's either doing it to make history or he's doing it to help Obama."

Trump, referring to the potential for splitting the GOP vote, said: "I'm worried about that also, to be honest with you."

He also said, "If I ran as an independent and didn't win, Barack Obama would win by a landslide because I would take almost all these votes away from the Republicans."

Drake University political science professor Dennis Goldford said Trump might be overestimating his ability to play the role of spoiler. To be a spoiler, he must be able to capture a significant number of votes in a critical election, such as Ross Perot in 1992 or Ralph Nader in Florida in 2000.

"(Trump) hasn't demonstrated yet that he'd be able to do that," Goldford said.

Popularity in recent public opinion polls tends to reflect Trump's high name recognition, but when Republicans seriously study him, they might find he's "too mercurial for their tastes," Goldford said.

"The real test of his potential will be the straw poll in Ames, if he even gets that far," Goldford said of the Aug. 13 event. If Trump doesn't do well in the straw poll, "I tend to think his candidacy would kind of wither away at that point."

Wednesday, Trump repeatedly lashed out against Obama and said he would lean on polling to advise him what to do in his efforts to oust the president.

"He is a disaster for this country," Trump said. "A total and complete disaster. I mean, in so many ways. You look at what he's doing with Libya, where nobody knows what's going on. You look at ObamaCare, which I will have repealed, which is a disaster.

"Everything he touches is bad, and I want him out."

Several leading Democrats and spokesmen for groups at the state and national level declined to comment Wednesday.

Trump's history of donations to key Democratic candidates also raises suspicions, several Iowa Republicans said.

A study by the Center for Responsive Politics found that since the 1990 election cycle, six Democrats and four Republicans were in Trump's top 10 for political donations. In the most recent election cycle, $16,200 of $22,500 Trump donated went to Democrats, the center found.

Trump explained that contributions to both political parties are part of doing business, and that his relationships with Democrats are a good thing.

"Maybe I could cut deals instead of this nonsense that's going on in Washington where they don't speak to each other," he said.

Trump said he wanted to reassure Iowans that his primary objective is to ensure the defeat of Obama, whom he called "the worst president in the history of the United States."

Trump said he would appeal to religious conservatives because "I'm a very conservative person, extremely conservative, and as you know I'm Christian — I'm protestant Presbyterian — which I don't know if you know, but I think it's important for Iowans to know that, and I'm very proud of that."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... |Frontpage
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

good TRump
    no one should Help Obama look what he did to American
    he should Be impeach now

No amnesty
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Trumps money could be a plus no matter the GOP candidate. Use it wisely Mr Trump, because certainly George Soros will be paying for the other side.
    I'm old with many opinions few solutions.

Banned
    Trump is so funny he suportted Obama in 08.He is not going to support him now because he is trying to run as REP.ticket[he wont run]Trump right now is even hurting his own part they dont want to support him.