Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

April

Don't eat any peanut butter, FDA official warns

msnbc.com news services
    updated 1 hour, 26 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Federal health authorities on Saturday urged consumers to avoid eating cookies, cakes, ice cream and other foods that contain peanut butter until authorities can learn more about a deadly outbreak of salmonella contamination.

"We urge consumers to postpone eating any products that may contain peanut butter until additional information becomes available," said Stephen Sundlof, head of the Food and Drug Administration's food safety center.

But most peanut butter sold in jars at supermarkets appears to be safe, Sundlof said.

Don't eat peanut butter, FDA official warns
    Nationwide salmonella outbreak has killed 6, sickened hundreds

"As of now, there is no indication that the major national name-brand jars of peanut butter sold in retails stores are linked to the recall," Sundlof told reporters in a conference call.

Officials are focusing on peanut paste, as well as peanut butter, produced at a Blakely, Ga., facility owned by Peanut Corp. of America. Its peanut butter is not sold directly to consumers but distributed to institutions and food companies. But the peanut paste, made from roasted peanuts, is an ingredient in cookies, cakes and other products that people buy in the supermarket.

"This is an excellent illustration of an ingredient-driven outbreak," said Dr. Robert Tauxe, who oversees foodborne illness investigations for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

So far, more than 470 people have gotten sick in 43 states, and at least 90 had to be hospitalized. At least six deaths are being blamed on the outbreak. Salmonella is a bacteria and the most common source of food poisoning in the U.S., causing diarrhea, cramping and fever.

Officials said new illnesses are still being reported in the outbreak investigation.

The salmonella case has touched the Kellogg Co., which has recalled 16 products as federal officials confirm contamination at a Georgia facility that sent peanut products to 85 food companies

Kellogg had asked stores this week to pull some of its Keebler crackers from shelves as a precaution. But in a statement late Friday, the Battle Creek, Mich., company said voluntarily was recalling the crackers and other products.

“The actions we are taking today are in keeping with our more than 100-year commitment to providing consumers with safe, high-quality products,â€

Thanks for the heads up. I had a container of bad peanut butter from the last recall. Thank God it was way in back of the pantry and never opened.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Peanut butter Oreos in the mix?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Hmmm. My kids have a batch of peanut butter cookie mix they haven't made yet.

Maybe we'll just put that away somewhere for the time being until we can find out if it's effected.

April
    Quote Originally Posted by azwreath

Maybe we'll just put that away somewhere for the time being until we can find out if it's effected.
    Better safe than sorry!

Whenever they have one of these recalls, I feel like I have to throw away any food that might be related. For instance, I have some Squeezers peanut butter and jelly. It the kind that comes in the one shot pak. I have a whole bunch of them....now I am afraid to eat any more of them even though the first ones did not make me sick. I cant be sure as they might not all be from the same lot of peanut butter, who knows. I am afraid that down the line they might appear on the list.

April
    Quote Originally Posted by redpony353
    Whenever they have one of these recalls, I feel like I have to throw away any food that might be related. For instance, I have some Squeezers peanut butter and jelly. It the kind that comes in the one shot pak. I have a whole bunch of them....now I am afraid to eat any more of them even though the first ones did not make me sick. I cant be sure as they might not all be from the same lot of peanut butter, who knows. I am afraid that down the line they might appear on the list.
    I don't blame you, over the last couple of years Americans have been poisoned regularly !

Quote Originally Posted by April

Better safe than sorry!

I totally agree!!

They're a little disappointed because they really enjoy using them......gives the littlest guy the satisfaction of having baked something "homemade" without having to figure out measurements, etc. ........but they understand.

And, to take the edge off the disappointment, I told him that tomorrow I'll personally help him whip up some mint chocolate chips the "old fashioned way".

I also have a brand new jar of PB....Jiff.....I bought at the beginning of November so maybe that will be okay?

April
    [b]

I totally agree!!

They're a little disappointed because they really enjoy using them......gives the littlest guy the satisfaction of having baked something "homemade" without having to figure out measurements, etc. ........but they understand.

And, to take the edge off the disappointment, I told him that tomorrow I'll personally help him whip up some mint chocolate chips the "old fashioned way".
    What a fun way to get take the edge off.....you both will have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by April
    [b]

I totally agree!!

What a fun way to get take the edge off.....you both will have a great time!

I know I'll have a blast....I'm dying to try out the Andes mint chocolate chips I found on sale over the holidays I think they're new....I'd never seen them before.

LOL....I know Little Man is going to enjoy himself too And you can't really beat chocolate chips as a "training wheels" sort of cookie.....they're one of the easiest ones to make.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast