Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

EDITORIAL: How the GOP is Alienating Hispanics

EDITORIAL: How the GOP is Alienating Hispanics
    By: iStockAnalyst Saturday, August 02, 2008 2:51 PM
    Email Comments (0) Post Comment Bookmark It

By Northwest Florida Daily News, Fort Walton Beach
    Aug. 2--Barack Obama and the Democratic National Committee plan to spend $20 million on a campaign designed to woo Hispanic voters. They'll focus on "battleground" states, including Florida, Colorado and Arizona. They may or may not get the results they desire -- but, unlike Republicans, at least they'll try.

They're likely to follow a strategy that has worked well for all politicians who have sought minority support. They will identify Hispanics as victims with problems that government supposedly can solve, problems such as economic disparity and poor educational opportunities.

What may frustrate such pandering is the fact that Hispanics aren't victims. They weren't dragged into this country against their will or targeted with laws to keep them in bad schools and at the back of the bus. Quite the contrary, most are the offspring of people who migrated here legally, snuck in to work for better lives, or drifted to our shores as refugees fleeing communist thuggery.

More helpful to Democrats than their $20 million campaign will be the extraordinary stupidity some conservative politicians and pundits have employed in their crusade against unauthorized immigrants. Mixed in with reasonable pleas for more border control are outright dismissals of the need to adjust antiquated quotas that no longer jibe with our country's population base or employment and economic needs. And in those dismissals are familiar lectures about preserving "our culture." We're asked to believe hard-working Hispanic immigrants will ruin us, even if they came here legally through an expanded quota system.

On his syndicated radio program last year, Bill O'Reilly asserted that supporters of an immigration bill wanted to "change the complexion" of the United States. On scores of more amateurish shows, words like "tortilla" and "taco" are tossed out in sermons about preserving culture.

"Give 'em all a little nuclear waste and let 'em take it on down there to Mexico! Tell 'em it'll heat tortillas!" ranted radio host Neal Boortz.

America's 47 million Hispanics, most of whom are citizens or reside here with permission, have varying positions on illegal immigration. But when they hear conservative Republicans sounding alarms about cultural demise -- caused by tortillas and skin color -- they laugh off the GOP. The "illegals" the right maligns are the friends and relatives of millions of conservative, hard-working, God-fearing Hispanic-Americans who vote.

The conservative alienation of Hispanics is new, and it may hand the election to Democrats.

-----

To see more of the Northwest Florida Daily News or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.nwfdailynews.com.

Copyright (c) 2008, Northwest Florida Daily News, Fort Walton Beach

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

For reprints, email tmsreprints@permissionsgroup.com, call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA.

Story Source: Northwest Florida Daily News
    http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/vi ... e_GOP.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE

We are the majority...the heck with the hispanics!

Hispanics are STILL the minority in our country ! The candidates are forgetting that they have not won the rest of us to their side yet.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Either way, Democrat or Republican, this country seems to be heading into an abyss.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Either way, Democrat or Republican, this country seems to be heading into an abyss.
    Black Hole effect and sinking fast . We need a Real American Leader
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

Quote Originally Posted by tencz57
    Quote Originally Posted by vortex
    Black Hole effect and sinking fast . We need a Real American Leader
    Truly a descent into the maelstrom.

W

HUH?!?! McCain has alienated the ENTIRE Republican base!!! Who cares what hispanics think!!!!

Good point, AmericanMe. Are these candidates actually presenting their own ideas or spouting a position slate from their parties? Unfortunately, Mr. McCain bumbles a lot on the party position. Either way, once they will get into office that is when their agendas will become apparent, perhaps taking a cue from Congress. The legal American people are up a poop creek without a paddle.

America's 47 million Hispanics, most of whom are citizens or reside here with permission, have varying positions on illegal immigration. But when they hear conservative Republicans sounding alarms about cultural demise -- caused by tortillas and skin color -- they laugh off the GOP. The "illegals" the right maligns are the friends and relatives of millions of conservative, hard-working, God-fearing Hispanic-Americans who vote.
    I object to that statement. The ones who are here illegally are ones who would NEVER be allowed to come over legally anyway. They're uneducated, have no skills we need and don't want to work hard. If they were, they'd stay in their home countries. Many would not pass a background or medical check. They come here not for a better life, but for an EASY life that Americans are so stupid handing over to them.

I am a very conservative US citizen of hispanic descent and ALL my relatives came legally. There are many of us who are against illegal immigration because we know what class of people they are.
    "

I agree miguelina.

I also think that politicians, tax-exempt organizations and those elites who profit from illegal immigration aside, that all Americans, no matter their ethnic origin or political party affiliation, are all 100% sick and tired and fed up to the gills with illegal immigration.

I think Americans with the above referenced exceptions see eye to eye on this issue and will be united on it in November.

Now if we only had a candidate that saw eye to eye with US.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am so disgusted with the "let everyone in" platforms just like our POTUS, conservative Republican standing for smaller government waste, but in the last eight years, it is amazing how much he has gone against conservatives of any ilk. I think I will write in Joe Arpaio for POTUS and Ron Paul for veep. The Bush gang, I think, has really done a number on this country (which they swore to represent), perhaps in favor of a new world order or at least a North American Union as a first step to the new world. We may be in recession, but personally, I am in deep depression.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast