Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Edwards: raise taxes for healthcare

Edwards: raise taxes for healthcare

http://link.toolbot.com/reuters.com/59513

Sun Feb 4, 2007 12:19pm ET148

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic U.S. presidential candidate John Edwards on Sunday said that he would raise taxes, chiefly on the wealthy, to pay for expanded healthcare coverage under a plan costing $90 billion to $120 billion a year to be unveiled on Monday.

"We'll have to raise taxes. The only way you can pay for a healthcare plan that cost anywhere from $90 to $120 billion is there has to be a revenue source," Edwards said on NBC's Meet the Press news program.

The 2004 vice presidential nominee and former North Carolina senator said his plan would "get rid of George Bush's tax cuts for people who make over $200,000 a year."

He said the plan would also reduce healthcare costs.

"Finally we need to do a much better job of collecting the taxes that are already owed," he said, specifically targeting what he said are large amounts of unpaid capital gains taxes.

"We should have brokerage houses report the capital gains that people are incurring because we're losing billions and billions of dollars in tax revenue," Edwards said.

Offering a preview of his plan, Edwards said it aims to bring healthcare coverage to 47 million uninsured Americans, lower costs for the middle class and foster competition.

It would expand Medicaid, the state-federal health insurance plan for the needy, and offer subsidies for the uninsured. He said, "We ask employers to play a bigger role, which means they either have to have coverage or they have to buy into what we're calling health markets."

Without providing details, Edwards said his plan would create "health markets" nationwide. One choice available in the markets would be "the government plan, so people who like the idea of a single-payer health insurance plan, that is actually one of the alternatives," he said.

Edwards declared his candidacy in December calling for fewer U.S. troops in Iraq, a restoration of U.S. world leadership and an end to poverty.

Employer paid health care will soon begin to disappear, just like defined pension plans. You will end up buying you're indvidual health care plan and paying for it yourself. If you don't pay for it, you will not have healthcare insurance.

Banned
    Well, we sure as hell don't need to expand government into the healthcare business, but of course that's what the big gov Dems are angling for. If you want an idea of what socialized medicine is about, get in cue in the UK or Canada. If you survive the wait, be prepared for healthcare in that ever-so efficient government bureaucract mold. I'll leave the details to your imagination...

the biggest drain on heath care is the millons of illegals using expensive emergency rooms as their primary care providers. it's like stores always complain the=at shop lifters increase the costs of the merchants products. same goes with the illegals as long as the are stealing it everyone will pay more. we need to remove the illegals and not keep taxing Americans!

So if I understand this proposal correctly, Edwards would tax people making over $200,000 to give those currently uninsured health insurance at no cost, while doing nothing at all to help the people in the middle class.

Class warfare is starting early this election cycle.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

I heard Edwards speech on C - Span. He cares for the poor and is an open border lobbyist. How can you care for our poor while bringing in more poor illegals ?? He contradicts himself, but I still believe in subsidized health care. Make the rich, especially Halliburton pay ! Halliburton made us spend over 300 billion on the war in Iraq qhile our veterans live in poverty in downtown LA.
    mkfarnam, thank you so much for ya help. My laptop & windows are working again as it used to be. Thanks to you !!!

Quote Originally Posted by cassie
    Make the rich, especially Halliburton pay
    You really don't understand how the political system in country works, do you?

The politicians (all of them) work for companies like Halliburton. They take their pay in the form of campaign contributions, plus whatever under the table money they can arrange.

Huge companies like Halliburton are the reason the politicians are working like mad to import as many third world workers into the US as possible.

They'll never do anything that harms their employers.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by CountFloyd

The politicians (all of them) work for companies like Halliburton. They take their pay in the form of campaign contributions, plus whatever under the table money they can arrange.

Huge companies like Halliburton are the reason the politicians are working like mad to import as many third world workers into the US as possible.

So just tax Halliburton for the costs of the war, and the costs that illegals give us. Not all huge companies are bad by the way. Bill Gates gives billions in aid. There are politicians around that will not be the slave of big companies. Buchanan is an homest man !
    mkfarnam, thank you so much for ya help. My laptop & windows are working again as it used to be. Thanks to you !!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CountFloyd

So just tax Halliburton for the costs of the war, and the costs that illegals give us. Not all huge companies are bad by the way. Bill Gates gives billions in aid. There are politicians around that will not be the slave of big companies. Buchanan is an homest man !
    Grow up cassie, and find a news source other than MoveOn, the DU, or Al Franken.

Edward scares me. He says he is a Southern Baptist and do not think homosexuality is a sin and he believes they may be born that way. That is not what the bible teach and he should not that. It appears to me that he want the votes and that is all matter. I was worried about his expression when he was ask this on Meet the Press. He obviously is not a truthful person.

Huckabee also scares me. He say all of his policies will be made by his religious beliefs.
    LITTLE ROCK - Gov. Mike Huckabee got to speak directly Wednesday with Arkansans who [don't understand] his positions on immigration.

One caller to the "Ask the Governor" radio program on the Arkansas Radio Network accused Huckabee of ignoring the law when it comes to illegal immigrants.
    "Did you not take an oath to uphold the laws of this land?" asked Chris, a caller from Little Rock.
    "Absolutely," Huckabee replied.

"OK, then why would you turn a blind eye to illegal immigrants invading our country and coming in and basically breaking our laws?' the caller asked.

Huckabee said that he wasn't, and that he believes illegal aliens who try to vote or try to apply for welfare benefits should be arrested.

"If they're caught as illegal aliens, I don't have any problem with sending them back," Huckabee said.

But the governor did not back down on his positions in support of certain benefits for the children of illegal aliens, such as allowing prenatal care for pregnant immigrants and his proposal to offer scholarships to undocumented children who graduate from an Arkansas high school. (EDITOR'S NOTE: This was not clearly described in the article. Huckabee did not want to "offer scholarships to undocumented children." What he actually supported was allowing them to be eligible to apply for college scholarships if they qualified.)

He also criticized Senate Bill 206 by Sen. Jim Holt, R-Springdale, that would impose new restrictions on illegal immigrants in Arkansas. He said the bill could hurt the state's ability to recruit industries based in countries outside the U.S., such as Toyota or Nestle, a Swiss company.
    "If we send a message that essentially if you don't look like us, talk like us and speak like us we don't want you, it has tremendous economic repercussions," Huckabee said.

Huckabee also sought to dispel certain perceptions about the benefits that illegal immigrants are getting in Arkansas.

Huckabee repeated to several callers that illegal immigrants do not receive welfare benefits or food stamps or free health care. They do get free public education for their children, but that's required under the Arkansas Constitution, Huckabee said.

"And frankly I think we would want to make sure that their kids were getting an education because an educated society is a society that can work and do a job and do a better job and make money," Huckabee said.

As for allowing immigrants to receive free prenatal care, Huckabee said that's part of his pro-life sentiment as well as that of Amendment 65 of the state constitution, which says that Arkansas considers life to begin at conception.

"I believe that because it's a human life, then by our law and by our constitution even that unborn child is an Arkansas citizen because he or she is going to be born in this state," Huckabee said. "The prenatal care for the entire pregnancy costs less than one-third of what one day in the neonatal unit at Children's Hospital would cost if the child has complications at birth."

BSR http://mikehuckabeepresident2008.blogsp ... ation.html

Bush and his religious beliefs and his evangecal supporters is scary.

I guess religion in politic is just plain SCARY. I feel there should be a separation of church and state.