(quote)

Evangelist Franklin Graham Latest Target of Anti-Christian Group

Published April 21, 2010 by:
Kim Linton

Anti-Christian Activists Also Attack National Day of Prayer

An anti-Christian watchdog group now has its sites set on Franklin Graham and the National Day of Prayer Task Force. Mikey Weinstein, president of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF), sent a seven page letter to Secretary of Defense Robert Gates objecting to Graham's invitation to speak at the Pentagon's National Day of Prayer event next month.

Weinstein's group claims a statement Graham made calling Islam ''a very evil and wicked religion'' disqualifies him from being honorary chairman of the National Day of Prayer Task Force (NDPTF). The anti-Christian group also criticized the Pentagon's relationship with the NDPTF because they believe the Pentagon chaplain's office has "endorsed" the task force by using its materials.

The Billy Graham Legacy

Graham, son of beloved evangelist Billy Graham, was named CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association after his father's retirement in 2005. Since taking up his father's mantel, Franklin Graham has been an outspoken advocate for Christianity and the gospel of Jesus Christ. He has been praised for his humanitarian work, global charity and HIV/AIDS ministry initiatives.

After making the controversial statement about Islam, Graham wrote in a Wall Street Journal op-ed piece, "I do not believe Muslims are evil people because of their faith. I personally have many Muslim friends. But I decry the evil that has been done in the name of Islam, or any other faith--including Christianity."

Interestingly, Weinstein's complaint follows a recent ruling by a Wisconsin federal judge declaring the National Day of Prayer unconstitutional.

According to the National Day of Prayer website, President Truman declared an annual, national day of prayer in 1952, and in 1988 President Reagan set the presidential proclamation of the event as the first Thursday of each May. President Obama issued a proclamation last year, but did not hold public events with religious leaders as former presidents have done.

Where do we go from here?

Regardless of religious views, race, social standing or political persuasion, every American should consider where we are heading as a nation. Spending a day praying for other nations, the United States, our leaders, family, friends, and even our enemies is not a bad thing. For those who don't believe in God or hate religion, the choice is simple--don't participate in the National Day of Prayer.

Sources:
MRFF's Letter to Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, MRFF
Franklin Graham: My View of Islam, Wall Street Journal
Billy Graham's Son Takes the Pulpit, His Own Way, USA Today
History of the National Day of Prayer, National Day of Prayer
Federal Judge Rules Day of Prayer Unconstitutional, Associated Press

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... html?cat=9

Matthew 10:32
It is written,... Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.