Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Federal Judge Rules Against Joe Arpaio in Landmark Class-Act

Federal Judge Rules Against Joe Arpaio in Landmark Class-Action Jail Lawsuit
    Wed Oct 22, 2008 at 05:57:44 PM
    By John Dickerson

In a major blow to Sheriff Joe Arpaio, U.S. District Judge Neil Wake ruled just minutes ago in a landmark class-action lawsuit that Maricopa County jails do not meet constitutional standards.

The order from the federal judge comes on the heels of the revocation of Arpaio's jail accreditation last month by the country's premiere independent jail-healthcare-monitoring agency.

“We won, basically,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

October 22, 2008 - 8:57PM
    Judge: County’s jails jeopardize inmates' health
    Mary K. Reinhart, Tribune
    Inmates awaiting trial in Maricopa County jails are housed in conditions that jeopardize their health and safety in violation of their constitutional rights, a federal judge ruled Wednesday.

U.S. District Judge Neil Wake said Sheriff Joe Arpaio and correctional health officials provide inadequate medical and mental health care, unsanitary conditions, unhealthy food, minimal supervision and disciplinary practices that cause mentally ill inmates “needless suffering and deterioration.â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

And the ACLU is proud of themselves?

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

what?

The order requires Arpaio and the county to give attorney Hill and the ACLU quarterly reports about jail conditions.

I'm not familiar with cases like this. Is this totally outrageous that the judge require reports be given to the ACLU????

WTF is that?

The ACLU is now institutionalized as a part of the government.

Re: what?

Quote Originally Posted by jonhaloi
    The order requires Arpaio and the county to give attorney Hill and the ACLU quarterly reports about jail conditions.

I'm not familiar with cases like this. Is this totally outrageous that the judge require reports be given to the ACLU????

WTF is that?

The ACLU is now institutionalized as a part of the government.
    I interpreted it as giving reports to the judge, not the ACLU. Did I miss something here?

Also, the judge seems to be strictly speaking about "pre-trial" inmates. I am ok with double standards between pre-trial and post-trial. Those who are pre-trial are presumed innocent. It isn't until a conviction occurs and guilt is established that they are presumed guilty. Approximately 25% of criminal cases end in a "not guilty" verdict. Therefore, it is safe to assume that 1 out of every 4 pre-trial inmates are not guilty.

I am a HUGE sheriff Joe fan. Those who have read my comments on other posts know this. That being said, I fully agree that those PRE-TRIAL cases need to be treated a whole lot better than post-trial cases. Rotten food and failure to give meds to pre-trial inmates should not be allowed. I would actually go so far as to say failure to give meds to post trial inmates should also be forbidden. Nobody here would sit on a jury and vote for a death penalty in a failure to appear for a traffic violation or petty theft case. By withholding meds, that may just be the case. I have no problem if the good sheriff wants to charge the inmates for the costs of these meds, but I don't think he has the right to withhold them.
    Proud American and wife of a wonderful LEGAL immigrant from Ireland.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797) Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ICE bus them to your site and transport them for trail. Why isn't ICE helping this sheriff?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    [quote]“Sheriff Arpaio’s horrendous treatment of detainees, especially those with severe medical and mental-health problems, has caused terrible suffering for years,â€