Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FIVE DUI DRIVERS ARRESTED IN ESCONDIDO

** THE COMMENTS ARE BETTER THEN THE STORY **

Five DUI drivers arrested in Escondido

By: North County Times
    December 30, 2006

ESCONDIDO ---- Escondido police arrested five motorists on suspicion of driving while intoxicated Friday during a roving sweep, authorities said.

City police, with assistance from San Diego police, patrolled Escondido from 7 p.m. Friday to 1 a.m. Saturday looking for motorists under the influence of alcohol or drugs, Lt. Mike Loarie said.

Police arrested another person for a misdemeanor arrest warrant and impounded 15 vehicles whose drivers were without a valid license, he said. Officers also cited 31 motorists for various violations, Loarie said.

The program was funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

---------------------------------------------

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

US Citizen wrote on December 30, 2006 11:47 PM:"Thank you."

Good! wrote on December 31, 2006 6:17 AM:"In addition, why don't you start printing the arestee's names. The humiliation would be a deterrent."

Robert24 wrote on December 31, 2006 7:55 AM:"Printing the arrestee's names would be a good idea. Small town newspapers do it all the time. Maybe it would help to cut down on the actions that caused the arrest."

Skip wrote on December 31, 2006 9:01 AM:"RE :In addition, why don't you start printing the arestee's names >> HOW ABOUT PRINTING THE LEGAL STATUS OF ALL DRIVERS CITED OR ARRESTED. Now that would be a story!"

Al wrote on December 31, 2006 9:19 AM:"Good job Esco PD! How may were unlicensed ILLEGALS? Or is this not PC to print anymore?"

Tired of Illegals wrote on December 31, 2006 9:27 AM:"Also, print the percentages of the unlicensed drivers who are illegals. We citizens need to know how many illegals are driving around drunk, with no licenses, registration or insurance!"

Great! wrote on December 31, 2006 9:56 AM:"Great Job! Yes, please print names!"

Patriot
    wrote on December 31, 2006 12:30 PM:"Skip - I think we can pretty much assume that most of the unlicensed drivers were illegal aliens. The cars are impounded but NCT never tells us what happens to them. I suppose the local cops just let the illegals go. This has to stop - they need to be sent back to their home countries."

RG wrote on December 31, 2006 12:31 PM:"This paper will not list the names, legal status or race because it might offend certain groups. They would rather keep it quiet and open to speculation than to be honest and informative."

Roberto
    wrote on December 31, 2006 2:03 PM:"What a bunch a racist crap and xenophobic posters...A drunk driver is a drunk driver is a drunk driver...get over it.. Prison time will stop drunk driving but its not a profitable for the lawyers, courts, Police and all the others in the system so it will NEVER happen..... While Hispanic offenders for driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) in California are more likely to have a history of multiple offenses compared to whites. little is known about characteristics associated with DUI recidivism in either ethnic group. Demographic and DUI conviction characteristics associated with DUI recidivism are analyzed among Mexican American and white DUI offenders in a Northern California county. Method: A sample of 459 primarily Mexican Americans and 490 whites were randomly selected from records supplied by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) on over 16,000 DUI offenders in the county during a 3-year period. DMV data on DUI convictions in the 1- and 5-year period preceding the identifying DUI offense and the year following the identifying offense (the recidivism conviction) were analyzed. Results: Rates of recidivism were significantly lower for Mexican Americans (5%) compared to whites (11%) who were arrested for DUI but not convicted, but higher for those convicted (12% vs. 5%). While conviction status of the identifying DUI offense was not predictive of recidivism among Mexican Americans, a DUI conviction in the preceding year was significantly predictive. Among white arrestees, receiving a conviction was significantly, and negatively, predictive of recidivism, but among those who were convicted, a previous DUI conviction in the last year was predictive of recidivism. Referral to a DUI treatment program was not a significant predictor of recidivism among those convicted in either ethnic group. Conclusions: The data suggest that conviction for a DUI may not play the same role in the likelihood of subsequent DUI convictions for Mexican Americans as for whites, and this difference may need to be considered in DU I treatment programs. Additional research on ethnic differences in DUI offenses and recidivism over longer periods of follow-up is needed to determine ethnic-specific intervention and prevention strategies for DUI."

Freddy
    wrote on December 31, 2006 2:55 PM:"Amazingly, the pro-illegals seem to be the more offensive bloggers. And perhaps they need to study the English and foreign languages to adequately and appropriately describe their opponents, rather than using vitriolic expressions. I looked up the word 'xenophobic' it is a word to express someone with an undue fear. There is nothing unduly fearful about responding to illegal activity. Illegal is illegal is illegal. "

RG wrote on December 31, 2006 4:11 PM:"Come on NCT, just print the information asked for and let the chips fall where they may. If these DUI's are white, legal citizens, so be it. If they are illegal Mexicans, so be it. Ar least we will know something about the problem rather than having all this rediculous speculation and name-calling."

Memorial for Wfe and Two children wrote on December 31, 2006 4:14 PM:"Cheryl and Ian were killed instantly. Julianna was transported to Primary Children's Medical Center with Caleb, where she died. The driver was Carlos Prieto, 24, of West Valley City. Prieto admitted to drinking five beers before the crash. He is charged with three counts of vehicular homicide. This is Prieto's third DUI offense, according to charging documents. Immigration officials believe Prieto is also in the country illegally. "

S wrote on December 31, 2006 5:20 PM:"Than you EPD. You guys are awesome!"

Roberto wrote on December 31, 2006 5:56 PM:"1st offense= One year in the county Jail, second offense = five years in prison...problem solved....wait a minute, everyone wants to whine (no pun) about Mexicans instead. All the payroll leaks, Counselors, lawyers, judges, Cops would rather see them support this massive beauracracy the have built for drunk driver rehabilatation. Of course the Phobies are getting their jollys whining about Mexicans in a 42 plus percent Mexican demographic area getting caught drunk driving. Wah!"

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12 ... ogcomments

Skip wrote on December 31, 2006 6:33 PM:"We don't have to whine. Besides getting Drunks and druggies off the road, the best part of these checkpoints is about getting Unlicensed Illegal Alien drivers off the road. Driving inn California is a privilege, not a right. At least that's what it said in the California driver's handbook last time I took the test. "

Al wrote on January 01, 2007 8:32 AM:"Esco PD should do these random checkpoints every week! That will help rid our town of these low-lifes and will send a message, via the grapevine, that this ilk is not longer welcome in Escondido."

Todd wrote on January 01, 2007 9:44 AM:"Great job EPD!!!Hey Roberto...you ok?"

To Roberto wrote on January 01, 2007 11:07 AM:"If you're going to quote somebody elses work, at least give them credit for it."

Mr E in Esco wrote on January 01, 2007 11:58 AM:"Check points are great, cops ridding around and looking for drunks is great BUT it does nothing for the illegal who drives drunk with out a license or insurance! CASE IN POINT: I know of 2 people who had their vehicles impounded during last month's media event check point.....both were "undocumented" and both had no license or insurance.... Now as of last week, BOTH HAVE THEIR CARS BACK AND DID NO JAIL TIME (TICKETS WERE ISSUED BUT TO WHO? THE GUY WHO GAVE YOU A FAKE NAME AND ADDRESS?) So the odds of them doing it again? 101%!!! The funny part is, they (both sides) know this and it won’t change.... WHY NOT TAKE THE VEHICLES, AND THEN TAKE THEM TO THE OCEANSIDE BOARDER PATROL OFFICE FOR DEPORTATION? "

Gerry wrote on January 01, 2007 12:22 PM:"This is but a small step in getting things going on the right track. For the sake of the the PC crowd, let's not point to ethnicity but make it plain and simple..ALL ILLEGAL ALIENS GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY!!!"

rusty wrote on January 01, 2007 1:10 PM:"this is classic ,judge and you'll be judged.problem? oh ... yea.time is what we got plenty of,understanding is what need. "

A suggestion wrote on January 01, 2007 10:09 PM:"Contact EPD requesting they re-instate the "Police Blotter" in NCT. They used to print names and what they were charged with. Roberto, you sounded impressive although your facts are wrong. As for why people talk about "Illegals"? It's because they are Illegal. My father came to this country legally from Cuba. He still carries the required papers. I was born here in Escondido and lived here for 51 years and have seen many changes. My father taught us that it is an honor to be a citizen of the United States not a right. It is our responsibility to abide by and respect the laws of this country. We are to be self supporting and the United States owes us nothing. Back in the day, families kept each other in check and disrespecting the community was not acceptable. Folks now days have no respect for themselves so how can they respect anything else. Fact is, ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL and if you condone it than you too are part of the problem."

Adam wrote on January 02, 2007 2:28 PM:"This Newspaper doesn't get it. The Police don't get it. The courts definitely don't get it. AMERICANS WANT UNLICENSED AND UNINSURED ILLEGAL ALIENS OFF THE ROADS. Period!"

To Adam wrote on January 02, 2007 5:10 PM:"How about if you make that comment, "Americans want unliscensed and uninsured people off the roads, not just illegals, but everyone."

Adam wrote on January 03, 2007 2:18 AM:"Hmmm Got me there. It is a good thing illegals are not a race, or next I will be called a racist. "AMERICANS WANT UNLICENSED AND UNINSURED MOTORISTS OFF THE ROADS." Period!"

stop crying wrote on January 03, 2007 2:16 PM:"all of you who complain so much about illegals should also complain of all the white legal USA citizens who are out begging for money when all the Illegals are actully working and all this illegal stuff is just an excuse of the white people always blameing someone else. Work on you own white people they get arrested much more it just dosen't get on the news!!!!!!!!!!!1"

To : stop crying : wrote on January 03, 2007 3:21 PM:"Nice use of the "Race Card". Neither "Race" nor "legality” may be used as an excuse to break our laws. The laws were enacted by United States Citizens and if you do not like it then change the laws, or leave. As far as getting the news goes, the liberal media has a tendency to cover-up or downplay news that involves illegal aliens. Problem is; is that there is so much news they can't downplay all of it, and it seems to be out of proportion. When someone breaks a law by entering the country illegally, then breaks another law by driving illegally, and then breaks another law by not having license, or registration or insurance, then it leads to more serious violations such as hit-and-run, and drinking while driving. It does not stop there, as there is identity theft, social security fraud, and on and on. Then you have the gangs, and even though the kids may be citizens, their parents failed to set a good example for them. "AMERICANS WANT UNLICENSED AND UNINSURED MOTORISTS OFF THE ROADS." Period!""

Syl wrote on January 03, 2007 3:28 PM:"With over 30,000 Illegal aliens living in Escondido I would think that a lot of them drive automobiles even though they do not legally have drivers' licenses. Since they never read the DMV drivers' handbook in Spanish or English, maybe they just don't know that it is also illegal to drink and drive. I am glad the Escondido Police is conducting these random checkpoints to help remove Drunk drivers from our roads, and to educate Illegal Aliens on the laws in this country."

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/12 ... _30_06.txt

One arrested, 40 cited in Escondido checkpoint

By: North County Times -
    January 3, 2007 11:17 PM PST

ESCONDIDO -- Escondido police arrested one driver and cited 40 others Wednesday morning at a driver's license checkpoint on Bear Valley Parkway near Kit Carson Park, authorities said.

Of the 1,889 drivers to pass through the checkpoint from 9 to 11 a.m., 1,240 were asked to show their licenses -- the others were waived because of traffic backup -- and 56 were directed to a secondary inspection, Lt. Tom Albergo said.

Police cited 31 drivers for not having licenses and four for driving with a suspended license, Albergo said. Twenty-three of those drivers were also cited for not having insurance.

Police also arrested one person for an outstanding misdemeanor warrant and impounded 35 vehicles, he said.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/01 ... 1_3_07.txt

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.

Escondeeter wrote on January 03, 2007 11:44 PM:"Keep up the good work EPD. Every unlicensed driver off the road makes the city that much safer."

Esco native 30+ yrs wrote on January 04, 2007 6:46 AM:"Thank you EPD. Lets step up the checkpoints this year. And the Anti gang units. Take back our City. "

bryan wrote on January 04, 2007 8:02 AM:"Way to go ESPD. Keep up the good work. Escondido has the highest rates of hit and run accidents in california. This should be done evey week at different locations."

Unknown Driver wrote on January 04, 2007 11:08 AM:"All Right EPD, keep up the great work. Soon I will be able to drive down any street at the posted speed limit, instead of 10 miles per hour underneath it. Thanks again."

Skip wrote on January 04, 2007 2:04 PM:"Re: Police cited 31 drivers for not having licenses >>>> Do they impound the cars or are they just letting them drive away? The story was not too clear on thus point."

Dane wrote on January 04, 2007 4:23 PM:"Great job Esco-PD. Please keep this up. Almost everyone I know who's been hit in Escondido was hit by an illegal with no insurance who has no business driving in the first place. I hope the impounded vehicles can be sold to help pay for more cops as well as for raises for existing members of the force. I'd also like to see some cooperative effort with the border patrol and have any illegals deported. If I had been caught for doing the same thing in Mexico I'd probably be in jail right now. I'm not illegal-bashing - I'm just stating it the way it is. NCT - what happens to these impounded vehicles? Why won't you report on that?"

To Dane wrote on January 04, 2007 4:59 PM:"Dane - who said anything about someone being here illegally? The article said no such thing."

B wrote on January 04, 2007 5:50 PM:"Very cool to see these checkpoints popping up all over the place in Escondido. I too would like to see at least one per week; clean up the streets and get the uninsured/unregistered/unlicensed off the road!"

Welcome wrote on January 04, 2007 8:49 PM:"Welcome to the Strong Arm of the Law...Escondido. Home of the Bullies. If you bloggers really think that the EPD/City of Escondido are conducting these checkpoints to "make our streets safer" - then you all really need to get a clue. This is a revenue thing and that's pretty much all it is. Do you really think these people will stop driving because they are sans a 2x3 inch laminated "piece of paper" saying so. In a city of 145,000 - it's incredible you bloggers are so excited about the "great job" - 35 cars impounded - wow - what an impact. P.S. Yes, I am a licensed, insured, legal US born resident. But, I am against the bully tactics used to net an arrest here and thirty five impounds there. "

Yeah Dane wrote on January 04, 2007 8:56 PM:"Every traffic accident in Escondido was caused by an illegal, sure........"

A wrote on January 05, 2007 12:25 AM:"Dane, I agree that we need more cops, but not only for the illegal drivers, but also for the stinky homeless with bad habits. Every time I see more new faces sleeping on the streets and asking for money. It's incredible they were born here in "America" they have the basic tools to have a better life,and they do not even have place where to take a shower. "

Skip wrote on January 05, 2007 10:21 AM:"Where is the outrage! Where are the public demonstrations? How about the "Activists Groups". There are some serious problems going on in Escondido! And I am not talking about rentals or homeless. I am talking about PUBLIC SAFETY and ACCOUNTABILITY! Can you imagine how many cars would be impounded if they did theses checkpoints every day, and for 10 or 15 hours instead of only 2 hours. Is lawlessness a way of life for Escondido? Every Escondido Citizen should be embarrassed at how the city is declining into a third world city, and if that were not enough they should be concerned about public safety. IT IS THE LAW IN CALIFORNIA THAT IN ORDER TO DRIVE A VEHICLE ON PUBLIC STREETS, THAT YOU MUST HAVE A LICENSE, REGISTRATION, AND INSURANCE!"

Robert wrote on January 05, 2007 11:32 AM:"To: Dane - who said anything about someone being here illegally? The article said no such thing >>>> All you have to do is read the NCT on a regular basis and you will find many stories about serious accidents, hit-and-run’s, DUI's and innocent deaths. Even if the suspects are not outright identified as Illegal Aliens, you can always find the buzzwords. Look for 1) cited for not having a driver's license, 2) required an interpreter in court, 3) all testimonials from family members require a translator, 4) just wanted a better life, 5) hard working, 6) fled to Mexico to avoid prosecution, and 7) had no insurance or registration. The clues are there, even though the stories are downplayed and there is almost never any follow-up when the victims or suspects are Illegal Aliens."

Add Your Comments or Letter to the Editor