Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

FL-Hundreds line up for 50 construction jobs

Hundreds flock to job site

By Roger Drouin

Published: Wednesday, August 6, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.

Sarasota-More than 300 people had already turned in applications Tuesday morning when Glenn Monroe dropped his in the box outside the future site of the new Janie Poe Housing Development.

There are 50 to 75 construction job openings at the project off Central Avenue. Monroe, 40, who has about six months in trade school as an electrician, was hoping his experience would give him an edge.

"A couple of guys on my street are out of work," said Monroe, who lives a few blocks from the site where crews demolished old public housing apartments in May to make room for 86 new mixed-income units. "I'm not the only one out here. This community is hurting real bad."

An estimated 550 people, many from the surrounding Newtown neighborhood, waited in line and filled out applications for jobs, from framing work to landscaping.

Many of the positions will be temporary jobs while the first phase of the new Janie Poe apartments is built. But some jobs would lead to future work with the subcontractors, said Leigh Campbell, project manager with Maryland-based Clark Construction Group LLC, the contractor overseeing construction for three phases of redevelopment at Janie Poe.

Monroe has not had steady work for the past year and now his wife, who is a nurse, is working more hours to make ends meet. The couple has two sons at home.

"There's a man in the house and he can't do his part," Monroe said. "I get out and try. But it's really hard. It's really hard. I wish I could do more to help."

Marilyn Diggins dropped off resumes for her nephew and son-in-law.

She said her son-in-law has a degree in architectural engineering and 18 years of experience, but has been doing odd jobs such as installing fences and renovating homes for the past year because he cannot find a steady job.

"When you have family members out of work, it's a strain on the whole family," Diggins said.

Henry Lee Mathis, 72, says hard work keeps him youthful. He filled out his application for landscaping work, and anything else available, on a truck tailgate Tuesday morning.

"I love doing landscaping," Mathis said. "I'll do any kind of work, though."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... /808060369
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Vortex! Great Story! Do you have a link? I'll like to post it around to show people there is no job an American won't do.

Thanks!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... /808060369

Found it on web! You may want to copy this link and put it in your post.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ELE

I love this story!

Finally American citizens being given an opportunity to work!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

JOB FOR AMERICANS :P

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080806/ARTICLE/808060369

Found it on web! You may want to copy this link and put it in your post.

Yes, Judy we like that at the bottom of the article.

Very good article.

MW
    Henry Lee Mathis, 72, says hard work keeps him youthful. He filled out his application for landscaping work, and anything else available, on a truck tailgate Tuesday morning.

This guy is just being silly. Doesn't he know construction work is a job 'Americans won't do.' Furthermore, how dare an American say he'll do any kind of work. This is an outrageous lie! It has to be a lie because everyone knows Americans are lazy and afraid of hard work. The Bush administration, MSM, illegal alien advocates, etc. wouldn't lie to us.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by MW

This guy is just being silly. Doesn't he know construction work is a job 'Americans won't do.' Furthermore, how dare an American say he'll do any kind of work. This is an outrageous lie! It has to be a lie because everyone knows Americans are lazy and afraid of hard work. The Bush administration, MSM, illegal alien advocates, etc. wouldn't lie to us.
    There goes the myth. LOL

I remember after 911 and times were hard there. They made a big to do about some major motel opening up and all the jobs available. The company brought with them their own people for the higher paying jobs and like 3,000 showed up for the remainder 300 jobs. Had guys in suits and briefcases applying for a dishwasher job.

Do the employers use e-verify?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast