Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Fuel crisis taking TJ truckers off the road

Fuel crisis taking TJ truckers off the road

By Omar Millán González

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 20, 2008

TIJUANA – Public transit operated in the city with no apparent problem Friday, but truckers say their workdays are numbered due to the shortage of diesel fuel.

On the outskirts of town, dozens of truckers transporting merchandise from other cities are stuck, some for as long as three days.

DAVID MAUNG
    Truck driver Ramiro Castaeda, left, and driver's assistant Gerardo Zapata sit outside their truck as they wait out a shortage of diesel fuel in Tijuana. The two men are from the city of Torreon in the Mexican state of Coahuila and are stranded.

Shift managers at gas stations said Pemex, the state-owned oil monopoly, began on Thursday to send tanker trucks full of fuel from Guaymas, Sonora, about 12 hours from Tijuana, to ensure the city's trucks keep moving. Diesel fuel from the Pemex terminal in Rosarito Beach started to become scarce Wednesday.

The tanker trucks hold 15,600 gallons of diesel each and only supply a gas station with about 5,200 gallons a day, said Juan José GarcÃ*a, shift manager of a Pemex station south of Rosarito.

“That lasts us some four hours and there isn't enough for everyone. Some truckers wait in line for up to six hours and leave with nothing,â€
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[quote]“I've lost 2,250 pesos (about $225) just since yesterday.â€
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Good point. $225 a day in Mexico with their low cost of living would be a huge salary.

I heard just tonight on the news that people in US living near the border are going to Mexico for gas because it's about $2 less per gallon, but all their gas stations along the border are running out of gas because of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.campaignforliberty.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjauAv6I-E8

Quote Originally Posted by SarahPorter
    Good point. $225 a day in Mexico with their low cost of living would be a huge salary.

I heard just tonight on the news that people in US living near the border are going to Mexico for gas because it's about $2 less per gallon, but all their gas stations along the border are running out of gas because of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.campaignforliberty.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjauAv6I-E8
    I am glad to see American's taking advantage of the Mexican government for a change
    Benjamin Franklin