Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Gay activists chain themselves to White House gate

AFP

Gay activists chain themselves to White House gate

WASHINGTON — Gay rights activists briefly handcuffed themselves to the White House's north gate on Monday, urging President Barack Obama to repeal a ban on homosexuals serving openly in the military.

Thirteen demonstrators organized by the GetEQUAL campaign for gay rights -- including nine veterans, a Catholic priest and other advocates -- were arrested after shouting they were "proud to serve" and vowing: "We will not disappear."

"Today, we have sent a loud and clear message to the US Senate and President Obama that we expect them to make good on their promises to end this inhumane law this year, during the lame-duck session of Congress," GetEQUAL co-founder and director Robin McGehee said in a statement.

She was among those arrested.

The protest came ahead of the Pentagon's Internal Review into the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, due on December 1.

According to The Washington Post, the long-awaited report, which included a survey of troops, found that the United States could lift the ban on gays serving openly in the armed forces with little risk to current war efforts.

The White House is pushing for repeal of the 1993 law this year in a lame duck session of Congress before a new Republican majority in the House of Representatives is sworn in next year.

On Friday, the US Supreme Court kept the ban intact as lower courts review the issue after a federal appeals court stayed another court's injunction of the policy.

"I sincerely pray our country's elected leaders in Congress and the White House will have the courage to repeal this law and make this the last time I have to come back to this fence and be arrested in protest of a law in direct contrast with our values and beliefs as Americans," said former staff sergeant Miriam Ben-Shalom, who was discharged in 1976 for declaring and admitting she was a lesbian.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 86a6e1.861
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Is God going to have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah?
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gays have rights to serve in the US military, and denying those rights is wrong.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Judy
    Gays have rights to serve in the US military, and denying those rights is wrong.
    ========================================

The military is being used as a liberal laboratory to FORCE GAY MARRIAGE RIGHTS upon ALL AMERICANS.

These perverts should take off that uniform. They are disgrace to this nation.

If you have a job to do why is sexual orientation even discussed. What you do on your own time is your own business and does not belong in the workplace. There is a time and place for everything for both straight and gay people.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    If you have a job to do why is sexual orientation even discussed. What you do on your own time is your own business and does not belong in the workplace. There is a time and place for everything for both straight and gay people.
    ====================================

Obama COMPLETELY agrees ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7-FlZqB ... r_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by swatchick
    I agree swatchick; and though I do feel quite free to condemn acts and disagree strongly, I do know a gay that is a good human being, who cares about others and their country. (and is not promiscuous or discusses her sexuality with others openly, or feels a need to - except with her gay friends I'm sure..)

Don't lump all gays into one category. This friend may be an exception to the general rule but knows that I am not gay and understands that I do not want to discuss sexuality in any way with her; that I do not particularly like it but I like her as a person otherwise. She is a lot more understanding, giving and tolerant of others imperfections than I am at times. It is hard to explain why I feel this way even to myself. I never used to think I could be friends in any way with a gay person; but after being acquainted with her on a few occasions and liking her as a person, she was honest with me about being gay, I appreciated that.

I guess remembering an old friend who accepted me as I am even though I did not attend church and she did as a strong believer in God made me be more accepting of others despite what I personally consider wrong. It does not mean that I have to compromise my personal ethics.

Sorry, been going on too long (more than you like probably!)and this is not about illegal immigration but since it was mentioned, just felt a need to say this, I guess! I do not condemn anyone for feeling differently here. Enough, I'm done!
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPY2BME
    I don't necessary think it's a right to serve. It's a privilege to serve, if qualified and selected. If you enlist, you agree to the terms of your contract. Military service is a 24-7 job.

Talking about your sexual orientation in some cases would be sexual harassment.

In my experience, almost every lesbian who ever professed to me to be gay also asked for a date. No reason to tell me otherwise. I have never asked anyone if they are gay because it doesn't matter to me. Asking if you are gay is no different than asking if you are married, single or have a boyfriend. Those are all exploratory date questions.

Gay rights groups lobbied for don't ask, don't tell. Now they've changed their minds? All the reasons they had 20 years ago, aren't relevant today? Is this going to be re-visited again in 20 years?

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Quote Originally Posted by JUDY
    I don't necessary think it's a right to serve. It's a privilege to serve, if qualified and selected. If you enlist, you agree to the terms of your contract. Military service is a 24-7 job.

Talking about your sexual orientation in some cases would be sexual harassment.

In my experience, almost every lesbian who ever professed to me to be gay also asked for a date. No reason to tell me otherwise. I have never asked anyone if they are gay because it doesn't matter to me. Asking if you are gay is no different than asking if you are married, single or have a boyfriend. Those are all exploratory date questions.

Gay rights groups lobbied for don't ask, don't tell. Now they've changed their minds? All the reasons they had 20 years ago, aren't relevant today? Is this going to be re-visited again in 20 years?

Dixie
    ========================================

What is at issue here is not JUST gays flaunting their homosexuality openly in the military, it goes FAR beyond that. If gays can get it there, then the next step is MINORITY STATUS, SPECIAL TREATMENT, and LEGALIZING SODOMY IN ALL FIFTY STATES.

Why is this so hard to understand?