Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

GOP presidential hopeful Ron Paul to retire from House

Jul 12, 2011

GOP presidential hopeful Ron Paul to retire from House

By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY
    Updated 4m ago
    Updated at 12:25 p.m. ET

Texas Rep. Ron Paul says he won't run for another term in Congress so he can concentrate on his bid for the GOP presidential nomination.

In a message posted on his Facebook page, Paul announced his retirement from the U.S. House.

"I have decided not to seek re-election for my House seat in 2012 and will focus all of my energy winning the presidency," he wrote.

Paul, 75, told a local paper in his congressional district that he didn't want to be distracted by running two campaigns at once. The libertarian-thinking candidate, who has a devoted following among supporters of his small government views, is running in his third White House campaign.

"I felt it was better that I concentrate on one election," Paul told The Facts, which covers Brazoria County, Texas. "It's about that time when I should change tactics."

By announcing his decision early, Paul told the newspaper he was giving would-be successors in the 14th District enough time to think about running for Congress.

Paul, an obstetrician-gynecologist before he went into politics, was first elected to Congress in 1976 from a South Texas seat that had never been represented by a Republican. He made an unsuccessful bid to unseat then-Sen. Phil Gramm in 1984 and went back to his medical practice for a while. (Political trivia: Paul's successor in that House seat was a Republican named Tom DeLay.)

After running for president as a libertarian in 1988, Paul published an investment newsletter and then a political one to highlight his free-market views. He ran for Congress again in 1996, challenging incumbent Greg Laughlin in the GOP primary after Laughlin bolted the Democratic Party to become a Republican.

Paul has been easily re-elected to the House ever since. The district, which runs along the Gulf Coast, includes Galveston, Victoria and Lake Jackson.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... se-seat-/1
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    I think he is doing so for his other son can run there in Texas.His son said he wanted to run for congress,Ron has been in long enough.I still think there ought to be term limits.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman
    I think he is doing so for his other son can run there in Texas.His son said he wanted to run for congress,Ron has been in long enough.I still think there ought to be term limits.
    ============================================

Elect ME for President!

You have NOBODY who will represent you from either of the two major parties in 2012.
    All they give you is empty promises, lip service, eyewash, and lies.

My promise to you:

I’ll stop ALL OUTSOURCING of American jobs.

I’llclose down the Federal Reserve.

I’ll make the FLAT TAX the law of the land and eliminate all other taxes.

I’ll pull us out of Iraq beginning this week.

I’ll do the same for Afghanistan.

I’ll close every base in Europe and most of those in Asia. I could pay off our 15 TRILLION $DEFICIT$ in less than six years with this new windfall.

I’ll bring all our troops home and give them jobs like we did after WWII.

I’ll put the rest of them on the MEXICAN BORDER.

Watch for my ads on FOX, CBC, ABC, and MSNBC

Taking volunteers …
    Join our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & to secure US borders by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    HAP.Ill support you from one soldier to another,looks like to me you have got it laid out. i volunteer